BAOR 1970s - If it had all kicked off ... which way would they have come?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Rothy, Jun 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking at BAOR in the early 1970s, pulling together orbat details with strategy, tactics and defence plans. I'd like to understand the likely battlegrounds should the worst have happened.

If the Warsaw Pact (3rd Shock Army?) had attacked, which were the main avenues into the 1 British Corps sector that they were likely to have taken, or attempted to take?

Assuming their first objective would be to cross the Weser, where did we expect them to have aimed for? Which were the most likely routes to be defended?

What localities were assumed to be the likely main centres for defence?

I have read that the British sector contained many pre-prepared 'improved positions'. Is this correct? What were the nature of these (mines, trenches?)? Where were these positions concentrated around?

I'd be grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of any useful information relating to the planning and tactics for the period late 60s/early 70s (declassified of course).... or anyone willing to make a few notes.

Thank you in advance.

• Like Like x 3
  2. And you came to ARRSE for this information......................?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think this topic has been covered before, actually - there was a thread ( in the Int Corps forum ISTR ) which kicked off with some pictures of Soviet mapping showing their likely plans.

Stonker & Brotherton_Lad contributed to it. If you PM them or trawl through their post history you should be able to find it - it was around 8 pages long so probably worth the effort.

4. BAOR staff disinformation (misinformation?) in the '70s was that, of the two Soviet thrusts (one against the US, the other against UK), the Russkies themselves estimated that they would overrun the south in a couple of days, but that it would take them at least 6 days to reach the Channnel. No idea where the information came from, but the same people told us that the 7.62 SLR was vastly superior to the AK-47 .....

5. I seem to remember, whilst in 11Armd Bde HQ that our GDP Positions were in the
    'Hildesheimer Wald' and our main Location being 'Garlic Wood'

As to the US Areas I would think that would all be in the so called 'Fulda Gap'

6. Thanks. Found the Czech Invasion Plan ... still looking for posts detailing the British sector

7. In the book WW3, if I remember correctly, the Poles, Czech's etc changed sides and settled a few previous problems with the Russki's.

8. I was always told that the big, bad Russkies would come munching across the Sibessa Gap...

9. Not really sure where to start with this one so I came here, maybe someone can tell me where to go (steady!)

10. If the OP goes to Hildesheim, Tofrek Kasserne and looks in the safe in RHQ he will probably find the General Deployment plans I left there in 1994 when we left!

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Hackett's "Third World War" (might have been the second volume) described how 3 Shock Army shuddered to a halt on the outskirts of Paderborn and a salient developed.

It was as good as a training manual to us back in the day, a Recce Regt based in Paderborn. When I read this passage out to a mukker, he replied, "That will be down to our secret weapon, the biological agents in the City Club then." Oh how we larfed.

(For those not in the know, the biological agents described were the growlers who hung about the City Club hoping to pull a British soldier. The latter then might find himself a week later in the MRS with a "self-inflicted" injury and a course of antibiotics.)

• Like Like x 2