• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Banner Adverts

Sorry, we've both been quite busy for the past few days. Will have a look later but would be useful to know who the banners are for and what browser they are causing problems in.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Yes, it works very well. Of course it doesn't help us pay the bills so that we can keep the site free....... ;p

Yes, it works very well. Of course it doesn't help us pay the bills so that we can keep the site free....... ;p

On that point, does it make a difference if we click on them? Payment to ARRSE that is?

But back to this issue, I still get similar from a variety of banners too. I have already reported it.

Not really a problem as such but I can't help finding the 'smart' banner adverts content puzzling. The last selection of items in the Amazon one were what looked like parts for making an IED (screwed metal tube, a mobile battery and waterproof electrical connections) and a model badger!?

Bear in mind that online advertising is increasingly cunning and takes into account a few different factors when it decides what to display in the ad slot. As well as the page content, it also tracks where you've been before and uses those to decide what to show you. Based on this I think you need to get yourself down to the police station and hand yourself in as a likely terrorist/badger botherer.

You'll be pleased to know that the Amazon ad for me is suggesting I might like to buy Men Only Magazine Volume 45, number 12 and Farm Mechanization Handbook. Make of that what you will!

Bear in mind that online advertising is increasingly cunning and takes into account a few different factors when it decides what to display in the ad slot. As well as the page content, it also tracks where you've been before and uses those to decide what to show you. Based on this I think you need to get yourself down to the police station and hand yourself in as a likely terrorist/badger botherer.

You'll be pleased to know that the Amazon ad for me is suggesting I might like to buy Men Only Magazine Volume 45, number 12 and Farm Mechanization Handbook. Make of that what you will!
That your looking for a milking machine, for personal use !:nod:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am with HHH here - those adverts covering page details is fecking annoying.

I don't care what the ad is pushing, in 99/100 I don't pay any attention to them but I detest the way they impinge on page details hiding the very stuff we come on to look at. I can assure you that I come on ARRSE to read ARRSE content and not to browse ads.

Still, previous calls for banner ads to be reeled in have not been acted on so I suppose it is a case of reloading each page to get rid of the ads, as usual.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I've never had any and often wonder on the comments but I use safari with a style blocking sheet thing, an updated hosts file and adblock with spybot on the OS.

I think the hosts file would sort most of it as all browsers read this, along with spybot which 'immunises' you browser

hostsxpert is a good start as you can add websites which give you grief like live jasmin or party poker.

Latest Threads