Banner Adds

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Malteser, Apr 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may be a bit thick but who chooses the adds that go at the bottom of the pages? I logged on to ARRSE this morning and saw a Job Ad for MI6 and next to it was a n add for a Gay/Bi hook up site called fitlads. I can understand the job advert.....

2. Im thinking that the banner adds reflect what cookies the spyware on your computer shows up. Therefore if you have been surfing job ads it shows job sites, if you've been surfing fit gay lads......

However I could be bullsh1tting :wink:

3. You definatley are as I am using a work computer which uses the gsi.

4. I've often wondered how the these little ads choose what sites to appear on. Is this how companies like Invision are able to pay for themselves by allowing these adverts? On a website that I help run, we pay Invision and we do not have small ads appear at all
    Do they work that this being a Military interests website that there may be an interest in say "SAS - the originals"?

5. Well so far whislt wasting surfing the net before our annual you are all crap talk by the big boss man I have seen several adds that have sod all to do with the Military or my own views, there has been adds for Fitlads, some sheet metal plating firm, life assurance and some weird 5hit I cant decipher.

6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

The way Google adverts work (which I think is the ones you are referring to) is that it analyses the content on a cached version of that page for keywords. Then it matches those keywords against its advertisers database and inserts the individual ads as appropriate.

Normally it works quite well but because it is an automated process you will inevitably get the odd glitch, hence the fitlads adverts