banks

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Caveman, Nov 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i,m having big problems with my current bank and need to open a new one, i,ve been in germany for about a month and hsbc are being a bunch of ******* by not sending me a new card, i,ve tried applying for to the english account but none of them seem to reconie a bfpo when you apply so i need to know which banks i can open an account with

2. Try Holts in Farnborough thry are the Military Branch of RBS, try speaking with your Regt Acct or FSA for contact details as a lot of units use them as there "UK" Bank

3. I have been with HSBC since I was 16, never experienced any problems even when seriously overdrawn 8O . It's amazing what an interview with your branch manager can solve. Next time you get leave arrange an interview with your manager and explain your situation. Sorry, cannot recommend any other bank, have heard too many horror stories. :D

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It depends where you are in Germany. In our NAAFI (Scum) you can open an Abbey Account.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I'm with HSBC, and they actually have specific provision for BFPO addresses in their system. It took some time for my local branch to find, however. Ask for a change of address form, complete it with the BFPO address, and return it with a covering letter explaining that you are military etc. If you also have a UK address you can opt to use the BFPO for correspondence only.

6. I would second the suggestion for Holts, they can do it all over the phone as you are military.

They seem to be on the ball when I speak to them

7. Just don't go to Halifax. I have had nothing but trouble!!!!

8. Halifax blow chunks massively just closed my account and trasferred to the Abbey. The Abbey sorted it all out standing orders, direct debits etc and closed the halifax account just like it says on their advert!!

9. As if First Direct (HSBC) Bank hadn't had enough bad press already. Today my wife was told that they would not provide either of us car insurance because I was in the Army! I could not imagine this happening in any other country. Has anyone else tried getting car insurance through this bank and faced the same issue? I feel a campaign coming on if this proves to be a common problem.

Adrian

10. The Nationwide have BFPO facilities, the card's even work!, plus you've got the added bonus that you can complete the application on-line. :)

11. The Abbey would be a good choice as you can access their banking and saving services in any of the Forces Financial branches in BGF, Cyprus and the UK.

Forces Financial is a trading name of Stuart Harvey Insurance Brokers Limited who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registration number 301858. Registered Office: Globe House, 24 Turret Lane, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1DL

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

At last ,an unbiased view!

13. Speak to your RAO. Being posted to Germany, you are encouraged to open a German Account. I personally have not as I have been idle, but I am going to in the new year. For one thing, you save on all the ATM charges that you will get spammed for and we all know every penny counts. Plus the exchange rate that you will be getting from the fixed forces exchange rate is very good.

The German banks are well set up for it and your RAO should help.

14. I have a German bank but thats only to cover my Direct Debits to keep my car insured (and so I can get into the banks with the indoor machines in town), other than that for my main bank I use Nationwide as they work fine in Germany, Don't charge you for making withdrawls over there and although I get my statements sent to an english address as i can't be bothered to change the address every few years as is said above they have no problem sending to a BFPO address and offered to change it to that when I told them I was out there.

Also when you phone there customer services phoneline if you explain your away with the forces when they say "this can only be done in person at the branch" 9 times out of 10 they'll get a supervisor to sort it out for you over the phone. Admitedly I might of just been lucky but I havn't had a single issue with them.

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Isn't this illegal?
    I seem to remember that discrimination because you are HM forces is just that - discrimination
    See how long they last if they had told you you can't have it because you are black,white,gay,muslim,jewish etc

I think you ought to have a word higher up and see the responce

Oh and by the way Lloyds TSB TOTAL CNUTS