Bankruptcy Before Joining

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by stabandswat, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have had a gander through this forum and can't find the definitive answers I am looking for. My friend has just divorced her husband but they have had a fair amount of debt between them. They have both been declared bankrupt however she has wanted to join the army for as many years as she can remember but her ex-husband was against it. She asked me as I am TA but I have no answer for her.

Is being a bankrupt a bar to entry? Is there a possibility that she can join once she is discharged? Will it limit the jobs she can do?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
  2. Rules may be different now but it used to be if you had more debt than 2 grand (Except Mortgages and student loans) then it was a problem.

Depending on circumstance she may be able to enlist on a 298 Special Enlistment Authority but would have to prove she was not going to be nicked for failing to pay debts or anything.
  3. Doesnt fully answer your question, but she should know that in most cases a discharge from bankruptcy will be available after one year, and of course the original debts will no longer be owed. Slightly different rules in different parts of the UK. Citizens Advice Bureau or her solicitor can advise. Armed Forces Careers Office or Army Careers Information Office can advise on enlistment implications.
  4. Cheers guys, she went online and asked the careers officer about it but they were a little vague. Basically they said that she had to have a working bank account and that was it. Not sure whether she has to be discharged or not. They also said it 'shouldn't' be a problem, which almost invites the question of why it 'won't' be an issue