Bankers - with a W.

I Prince Owungobolo of Nigeria run a very good laundry service and will be willing in a charitable way to launder your money FOC. Plis send details incl banks account where the newly nice smelling pounds are to be sent

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to have savings with Cheshire BS who were taken over by Nationwide.

One day I went into the local Nationwide branch to put RBMK Mod1's birthday money into his savings account.

Twenty quid.

The branch manageress refused to accept the payment because "it was the money laundering regulations". Now purely by chance, I'm passingly familiar with the regs and therefore enlightened her that £20 was not within the rules or the intent of the regs. At which point she got distinctly snotty with me.

I gently pointed out that I'd been putting small amounts of cash into both kids accounts for about 10 years on a regular basis. She got even more snotty with me saying thatI should not have been allowed to put cash into their accounts and that I would not be able to in the future.

I smiled and said that was fine but I would transfer both the kids money (total about £5,000) and my ISAs (somewhat more than £5,000) to another provider. Cue argument.

48 hours later all accounts transfered to the nice people at the Skipton.

PS, kids great uncle gives them £50 note each for their birthdays. Goes straight into the Skipton for them.

Only wide boys have anything to do with fifties. I've never even seen one - but then I'm as clean as the driven snow.
I fancied a couple of the new ones featuring Turing after reading about them. The features introduced looked quite interesting and thought I could get some before they entered full circulation.
Dit time:
I worked in my local about 20 years ago and £50 notes were often seen. The ones that didn’t have oil on them had horse shit on them. You could hear a pin drop the day I refused a £50 note from a ”horse trader”.
I carefully explained I wasn’t impugning his honesty, just questioning the veracity of the note proffered. He grumbled about being passed a dud, and ponied up with nice, genuine tenners.

One day I went into the local Nationwide branch to put RBMK Mod1's birthday money into his savings account.

Twenty quid.

The branch manageress refused to accept the payment because "it was the money laundering regulations". Now purely by chance, I'm passingly familiar with the regs and therefore enlightened her that £20 was not within the rules or the intent of the regs. At which point she got distinctly snotty with me.

I gently pointed out that I'd been putting small amounts of cash into both kids accounts for about 10 years on a regular basis. She got even more snotty with me saying thatI should not have been allowed to put cash into their accounts and that I would not be able to in the future.

I smiled and said that was fine but I would transfer both the kids money (total about £5,000) and my ISAs (somewhat more than £5,000) to another provider. Cue argument.

PS, kids great uncle gives them £50 note each for their birthdays. Goes straight into the Skipton for them.

My limited experience of Nationwide showed they couldn't have been more helpful. When I got divorced and eventually sold the house, I took the resultant cheque (big) to my bank at the time's (LloydsTSB) local branch, where I was hustled into the managers office after trying to pay it in to my current account and where they tried to get me to open a different account and generally made me feel I'd done something wrong. So off I went to the Nationwide who welcomed my cheque with open arms. Still have the account as well though it is somewhat inactive.

Troy

LE
I am a customer of First Direct (FD).

This morning I went into HSBC at Guildford and clutching my life's savings. I asked for my old £50 notes to be exchanged for new ones. The cashier summarily dismissed me with a, 'pay it into your account'. She pointed to a self-service place behind me.

At reception I spoke with a HSBC man and told him of my brief experience with the cashier. He informed me that I did have to pay money into my FD account and then telephone them and ask them to arrange with HSBC for me to be paid in new £50 notes.
As this is money that you're not actually using, why not just convert it into Premium Bonds?

Twenty quid.

Confession time:
My initial plan was to convert the coins to 4 x new £50 notes to give to my nieces and nephews as a nice gesture from benevolent Uncle A.
Then I thought, **** them, my sister and BiL are rich and they can shower gifts on the next generation.

Being in the nicer end of the finance industry I have to say that the essence of the money laundering regulations is to spy on the customer.

It is far easier to fob off the cash than to go through the implied procedure.

My limited experience of Nationwide showed they couldn't have been more helpful. When I got divorced and eventually sold the house, I took the resultant cheque (big) to my bank at the time's (LloydsTSB) local branch, where I was hustled into the managers office after trying to pay it in to my current account and where they tried to get me to open a different account and generally made me feel I'd done something wrong. So off I went to the Nationwide who welcomed my cheque with open arms. Still have the account as well though it is somewhat inactive.
Apart from my tale above (hardly a nuisance), I have found Nationwide to have been very good. Even when things have slipped (Mrs wanted to transfer an ISA) then have been gracious in accepting their error. All resolved quickly, and with a “bank error in your favour” on top. YMMV.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
When we transferred from Cheshire BS -- they

Mucked up our mortgage payments
"Lost" vital documents
Were generally un-co-operative
Never returned calls
"Lost" our house deeds
Local branch manager clueless & offensive.

Not been near them since (2008) and will never go back.

As this is money that you're not actually using, why not just convert it into Premium Bonds?

I intend to use it. There are still places in the World where a B of E note is desirable and gets a good rate of exchange.

I popped into my local branch a while back to find the counters all closed. One of the old dears who’d worked behind the counters pretty much since decimalisation was standing forlornly in the tiny bank with an iPad hanging round her neck.

In response to my WTF she ruefully informed me that all counters had been closed, staff transferred or sacked and if I needed counter service (I did) I’d need to travel 7 miles into a town with a branch that offered counter service. She consulted her iPad to see if she could do anything but it was apparent to both of us that we’d be better pooling our knowledge on underwater arse clenching as a sport in the Hebrides for all the progress we were making.

She was almost in tears when she told me this was all in the name of “improving the customer experience”. She’d been at the bank for 40 years and had seen her friends blown out and her future was standing in a bank with a tool shed no hope if mastering even if they’d bothered to try and train her, which they hadn’t. For years her and her colleagues had just done what I’d asked, usually without needing to be told such are my banking habits. Now I get some 18 year old telling me what I’d be better doing (what makes the most for the bank). As I’m apparently a high earner and diamond customer after 40 years banking there I’ve also been offered an interview to enhance my experience (extract more cash from me). Oh, and if I want, I can ask for a Polish speaking staff member.

I was pretty fed up and resolved to bin them off but here’s where they get you. All those accounts that need changing to somewhere else, all those Direct Debits and Standing Orders, getting yet another App set up, telling my employer (via an equally useable on line experience - WTF happened to finishing the pay office?).

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

C#nts.

Ah. That’s better.

Went to local Nationwide today.
Plenty of cash out & walked through the town to count the charity shops.
Dodging the delivery cretins on mopeds that seem to think the pavement is part of the highway.
Did bank at Santander but the service is third world these days.
What he said, only it was Nat west. Nationwide, the canines gonads,. Example:- Got to my branch in the village, and realised i had left my wallet at home (Older age is a right bastard) "No Problem retired bloke, we know who you are," sorted! :D

I popped into my local branch a while back to find the counters all closed. One of the old dears who’d worked behind the counters pretty much since decimalisation was standing forlornly in the tiny bank with an iPad hanging round her neck.

In response to my WTF she ruefully informed me that all counters had been closed, staff transferred or sacked and if I needed counter service (I did) I’d need to travel 7 miles into a town with a branch that offered counter service. She consulted her iPad to see if she could do anything but it was apparent to both of us that we’d be better pooling our knowledge on underwater arse clenching as a sport in the Hebrides for all the progress we were making.

She was almost in tears when she told me this was all in the name of “improving the customer experience”. She’d been at the bank for 40 years and had seen her friends blown out and her future was standing in a bank with a tool shed no hope if mastering even if they’d bothered to try and train her, which they hadn’t. For years her and her colleagues had just done what I’d asked, usually without needing to be told such are my banking habits. Now I get some 18 year old telling me what I’d be better doing (what makes the most for the bank). As I’m apparently a high earner and diamond customer after 40 years banking there I’ve also been offered an interview to enhance my experience (extract more cash from me). Oh, and if I want, I can ask for a Polish speaking staff member.

I was pretty fed up and resolved to bin them off but here’s where they get you. All those accounts that need changing to somewhere else, all those Direct Debits and Standing Orders, getting yet another App set up, telling my employer (via an equally useable on line experience - WTF happened to finishing the pay office?).

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

C#nts.

Ah. That’s better.
I had almost the same experience with Nat west, after 40 years i was really hacked off so i changed. Go to nationwide, they do it all, and offer all the same services as a regular bank. No hassle.....This has been a public service announcement ;)

corby

War Hero
We have been with Nationwide for years and always had decent service and they still have a branch in our local town, at the moment. We have however, been informed that they are stopping the “free travel insurance” which we had with one of the accounts. We’ve never had to claim but it was nice to have.

I am a customer of First Direct (FD).

This morning I went into HSBC at Guildford and clutching my life's savings. I asked for my old £50 notes to be exchanged for new ones. The cashier summarily dismissed me with a, 'pay it into your account'. She pointed to a self-service place behind me.

At reception I spoke with a HSBC man and told him of my brief experience with the cashier. He informed me that I did have to pay money into my FD account and then telephone them and ask them to arrange with HSBC for me to be paid in new £50 notes.

I know that modern life is more complicated than ever but I still cannot grasp the need for such bureaucracy in exchanging a few old B of E notes for new ones. I have asked FD and await a reply.

I know that it is asking a lot of the membership for someone to identify as a banker. But help me out with the reason for this. I point out that @Cold_Collation is brave enough to mention his penchant for a certain tea, so come on bankers, expose yourself and give advice.

It is Friday so not much can go wrong.
Take heart in that it's not just UK. Banks here in Spain used the covid excuse to cut down "face to face" banking. Now that restrictions are virtually all gone, they still keep the 0830 to 1100 only for transactions. All other hours are for appointments to do with loans, mortgages or whatever.
But even during those limited hours they won't deal in cash. You can't draw money out (use the ATM with a card or payment book). You can't pay money in (use the ATM or payment book). You can't even pay bills but have to scan the code in their ATM card reader which takes the money out of your account.

They won't even do currency exchange unless you have an account with them and they tell you to go to the exchange shops.

And NatWest has been mentioned. A while back I got a phishing email which gave my account details down to number and branch. Got a bit miffed and asked Natwest if I could open another current account on their online chat thingy.
Oh, yes, says the lady, you have 3 accounts with us (bond, savings, current) so even though you are abroad you can open a different one. Just do it online and close the one you have when you need to.
OK, online I go. Email back, we can't open another account for you as you have to prove who you are (I've been with them over 50 years, by the way). Fill in the online request, get my passport photocopied and notarised by my Spanish bank manager. Send off forms by snail mail.
Letter back, sorry, you already have one current account and we can't open another one unless you personally go to a branch (this during the no travel covid bit).
Week later, another letter saying they had made a mistake and, of course, you can open another account. OK, says I, open one for me and I'll tell my pensions providers.
No, was the answer, we can't use the previous forms you'll have to send them off again with another notarised copy of your passport.

Ah, well, still got the old current account and no suss movements in the year this has taken. Might change banks when I next go to UK. Nationwide lets non residents open accounts with them.

Twenty quid.

Never had any problem putting money into someone else's account at Nationwide (I and most family use them). Hand over account details on a bit of paper. Hand over cash or tell them I want to transfer money from my account. Sign a bit of paper. Done.

Never had any problem putting money into someone else's account at Nationwide (I and most family use them). Hand over account details on a bit of paper. Hand over cash or tell them I want to transfer money from my account. Sign a bit of paper. Done.

Have they stopped doing 10/- postal orders?

Latest Threads