Bank Transfer to South Africa

Bad CO

Admin
I need to transfer a relatively small amount of money ($44) to a South African bank by SWIFT and am trying to find out a way of doing it that doesn't cost the earth. Anyone got any suggestions?

Oyibo

LE
Moneycorp can be very good indeed for rates of exchange. You will need to set up an account, but it is pretty hassle-free

ETA:

With Moneycorp you just transfer to them in the country you are sending from and they sort out the rest.

It shouldn't be a problem for £44 to do an international transfer (you will be charged) bank-to-bank, but an IBAN number is better than SWIFT and it is better if the recipient warns off the bank. Believe it or not, Paypal may be the easiest, if not the cheapest.

For background, I lived in SA for quite a few years with my money in onshore and offshore British Barclays accounts.

Last edited:

Tool

LE
Barclays if the recipient in ZA is also Barclays (ABSA or subsiduery as well). Free if I remember for such a small sum.

Toppet

War Hero
Barclays if the recipient in ZA is also Barclays (ABSA or subsiduery as well). Free if I remember for such a small sum.
Might not work any more; Barclays divested their Africa Group, including ABSA, a couple of years ago - they're now a minority shareholder.

The Africa operations kept the branding for a while, but I think that has now gone.

All of our South African correspondents here claim their benefits in Islington and send them to their extended families in Potchefstroom interest-free. They (@Cutaway, @Lardbeast @CaptainRidiculous etc) would be happy to advise. For a fee, of course.

Paypal as a gift is free IIRC , then theres always the scammers favourite , Western Union.

Tool

LE
Might not work any more; Barclays divested their Africa Group, including ABSA, a couple of years ago - they're now a minority shareholder.

The Africa operations kept the branding for a while, but I think that has now gone.
Daughter has just transferred money to the SiL in Seffrica through Barclays. Afaik, it was to an ABSA account. She's at work - I will have to ask her tomorrow.

Toppet

War Hero
Daughter has just transferred money to the SiL in Seffrica through Barclays. Afaik, it was to an ABSA account. She's at work - I will have to ask her tomorrow.
Fair enough, they must have kept some kind of arrangement with them.

Bad CO

Admin
From another source I was recommended CurrencyFair.com which seems as though it might do the trick!

Cheers for all the suggestions

Tool

LE
Just confrmed with HiD that daughter sends from Barclays here to ABSA for a flat fee of £8 (eight pounds sterling). Perhaps a bit much for $44, but I'm not sure how much others would charge. Western Union are expensive.

I must admit that the last time I was in Lagos I received $ sellotaped to the back pages of a copy of the most boring magazine available, for various reasons but including the very concept of giving my UK banking details to any Nigerian one, which gave me the gyp.

I'm sure SA's banking system's more secure than Nigeria's, though. Yes, it must be. Really.

Costs. Paypal is good (but I don't know the tax implications. For a sum less than $100 should be ok).
Transferred $1600 last year UK to Canada, via paypal cost was zero.

Sammer

War Hero
I use Azimo both for business and personal accounts, ‘in-country’ and out. They charge me £0.99 per transaction and apart from a few niggles when setting up, they’ve been fantastic. The exchange rates are pretty competitive.
It’s an app on my phone, and very convenient. I couldn’t work as efficiently without it.

Don't worry about the cost, the exiled rules Diamond Mine you are buying will pay for it

Latest Threads