Bank of dad

You shouldn't give them the money, as they will never learn the value of it.

Whilst at Uni, No 1 daughter discovered the joys of "Store Cards", and managed to rack up over £3500 of debt, which was accumulation interest at over 17.5% APR. I was in the fortunate position of having sufficient monies available to settle all accounts. Once she had provided me all the details with latest bills etc, I made her cut-up all the cards and work out at what rate she would pay me back. I then took her to the bank, where one at a time she handed over the bills, which I paid off with my card. After the last one had been paid, I then made her set up a standing order to pay it all back. Embarrassing for her and perhaps Harsh maybe, but it taught her that money isn't free.
My son's car died the other month, and he didn't have the ready cash for a replacement. I lent him the £500 and he pays it back at £25 a fortnight by SO, when he gets paid. Again interest free.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
My daughter needs a decent car, and I'm checking out the options.

I'm getting a pitiful 1:5% interest from the bank...... if I loaned her say 7k at that rate, what be the monthly payback, over 2 or 3 years ?

TIA.
Probably zero, I’m sure it’s been mentioned, it’s your daughter, the car will need, tyres, bits will fall off and it’ll need insurance. Forget making a profit you’ll be lucky if you’re only out 7 grand.

Guess who’s fault it’ll be if you buy a dog (a pile of mechanical poo as opposed to an animal)

Your dad had a belt, did he? What a luxury! Our family didn't have belts. You know what we had? Twine, son! A single length of twine, and we needed to make it last.
A whole length of single twine? We only had half a length!

A whole length of single twine? We only had half a length!
You lucky sod. When I was a lad, we could only dream of buying a cutting implement to cut the family's twine in half. We had what we were given, which was a longer piece of twine.

And that twine had to be earned, son. With blood and sweat, and without lube.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
You lucky sod. When I was a lad, we could only dream of buying a cutting implement to cut the family's twine in half. We had what we were given, which was a longer piece of twine.

And that twine had to be earned, son. With blood and sweat, and without lube.
Luxury we never had a length of twine, we had to imagine having a length of twine and even then it was the wrong length and we couldn't afford the luxury of imagining a cutting implement, but we were happy

Luxury we never had a length of twine, we had to imagine having a length of twine and even then it was the wrong length and we couldn't afford the luxury of imagining a cutting implement, but we were happy
Imagination, eh? Our family were so poor we couldn't even imagine any luxuries.

Imagination, eh? Our family were so poor we couldn't even imagine any luxuries.
When I say imagining this were only discarded thoughtsand imaginings scavenged from T dump were mill owners childeren had thrown them away because they had worn them out.

To bad you didn't grow up in America. Spoiled as **** we were. Video games and toys galore!!
Spoiled indeed. Over here we had to move about in bushes, pretending we were doing stealth ops in the jungle. We had to craft weapons with our bare hands, from whatever nature gave us. If I had to pick up adversaries, throw them in the stingies and bring it up later in confession, that's how it was.

When I say imagining this were only discarded thoughtsand imaginings scavenged from T dump were mill owners childeren had thrown them away because they had worn them out.
You had a dump! We had to go down t'pit, at 03:00, for inspiration. If we didn't come back with any, we'd be beaten to death with twigs.

Spoiled indeed. Over here we had to move about in bushes, pretending we were doing stealth ops in the jungle. We had to craft weapons with our bare hands, from whatever nature gave us. If I had to pick up adversaries, throw them in the stingies and bring it up later in confession, that's how it was.

You had a dump! We had to go down t'pit, at 03:00, for inspiration. If we didn't come back with any, we'd be beaten to death with twigs.
Twice?

They even have video games that simulate all the above to.

It sounds so rough. I hate the damn Jungle map on PUBG.