Bank Holidays, can someone "native" explain me why?

Today, like a few other times I would be working and apparently it's a holiday here - didn't realize it till I was told - posted an out of office message saying it's off today here in the UK. Not complaining, loving it. And I Googled the history of bank holidays and have some knowledge from wiki et al, but can some "local" here explain why it became a "thing" in this modern age? I am loving it (sorry McDs) but curious...

Truxx

LE
Today, like a few other times I would be working and apparently it's a holiday here - didn't realize it till I was told - posted an out of office message saying it's off today here in the UK. Not complaining, loving it. And I Googled the history of bank holidays and have some knowledge from wiki et al, but can some "local" here explain why it became a "thing" in this modern age? I am loving it (sorry McDs) but curious...
Depends on your definition of "modern" in that they have been around in one form or other for 400 or so years.

http://libraryblog.lbrut.org.uk/wordpress/2016/12/origins-bank-holidays/

Statutory bank holidays were introduced by the 1871 Bank Holiday Act and were days when the Bank of England and banks could close. The Act made provision for no financial dealing to occur on that day and bills or promissory notes that were due on that day were not payable until the following day and did not incur any penalties. Before this time banks were unable to close on weekdays as to do so would have put them at the risk of bankruptcy. But once the act was on the statute books, bank staff were able to have fixed holidays. Other employees had more informal arrangements with their employers and took their holidays to fit around the business and trade.

The first bank holidays were Easter Monday, Whit Monday, the first Monday in August and Boxing Day, in England, Wales and Ireland. In Scotland they were New Year’s Day, Good Friday, the first Monday in May, the first Monday in August, and Christmas Day.

Cyberhacker

Old-Salt
Modern as in why we still do/ enact this?
Maybe I could ask an American why they celebrate Independence Day, Labour Day, Martin Luthar Day, Thanksgiving etc

On the other hand, I feel it is disrespectful that the UK does not honour Remembrance Day (or Veterans Day for the septics)

Edit: Snap, CR

Because it is.
Do the yanks' banks close on Thanksgiving? and July 4?
The difference is that the UK deem it better to have a holiday on a Monday, as opposed to midweek, as Tue/Wed/Thurs holidays had a knock-on effect to industry.
American public holidays, except for specific date ones like Christmas Day and July 4th, are also on Mondays. Only difference is Thanksgiving which is always a Thursday to give a long weekend.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nope.
Most shops drop back to Sunday opening hours, however you are still able to buy whatever you fancy, including alcohol.
Like the reason for the banks not taking a holiday then and risking bankruptcy, so now shops daren't close, even down to Sunday hours, because their competitors will be open longer and business will be lost.

When West Quay went up 20-30 years ago, M&S, who own the site, tried to impose archaic opening times and lost a fortune. My Sainsbury (and the next when where I just took nipper) are open 8-8 today.

Like the reason for the banks not taking a holiday then and risking bankruptcy, so now shops daren't close, even down to Sunday hours, because their competitors will be open longer and business will be lost.

When West Quay went up 20-30 years ago, M&S, who own the site, tried to impose archaic opening times and lost a fortune. My Sainsbury (and the next when where I just took nipper) are open 8-8 today.
I have a Tesco Express on my doorstep open 06:00 - 23:00 every day. except Xmas

Truxx

LE
For the same reasons that the US has Bank Holiday's. Even Australia has them.

It would appear that the Int Cell might not be the place for you
Somewhere in the back of my head I have it that the first US bank holiday was introduced by Hoover during the depression to halt a run on the banks.

I have a Tesco Express on my doorstep open 06:00 - 23:00 every day. except Xmas
Used to love having that at my old place. And had a NISA store very close by, which was always open till late, even on Xmas, so for anything last min, you could drop in.

Truxx

LE
Because it is.
Do the yanks' banks close on Thanksgiving? and July 4?
The difference is that the UK deem it better to have a holiday on a Monday, as opposed to midweek, as Tue/Wed/Thurs holidays had a knock-on effect to industry.
Oh if only.

Getting any sense out of my suppliers ceased last thursday lunchtime and they will take till about thursday next week to start getting their sh*t together again.

I f*cking hate them (bank holidays) especially as for many many folks it is actually just a normal working day (shops etc). Plus anyone self employed gets no actual benefit.

Rant over. Back to work for me....

Somewhere in the back of my head I have it that the first US bank holiday was introduced by Hoover during the depression to halt a run on the banks.
Interesting. Hard to believe, these days, that a fledgling vacuum cleaner manufacturer could be so influential!

Used to love having that at my old place. And had a NISA store very close by, which was always open till late, even on Xmas, so for anything last min, you could drop in.
Comes in very handy when the beer states reach critically low levels and you haven't quite finished drinking

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
greyfergie The NAAFI Bar 225
john3468 Army Pay, Claims & JPA 3
Scavenger Army Reserve 1

Latest Threads