Banja Luka

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by LadyHamilton, Feb 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Off on first deployment to Banya Luka in couple of months - any advice for a newbie PQO ?????
  2. Depends what you want.

Good education facilities. Good evening courses. Fantastic gym, open most hours.
    Food good, mobile cinema frequently. Locals sell trinkets and CDs / DVDs. Beware, all are pirated.
    Get a trip to Sarajevo.
    Internet cafe and from memory, medcen has 2 Internet links.
    Social life. Nil.

Might see you there, if I get selected myself. I was there in 04, and had a great time.
  4. It is now, but in the summer its rather warm. If you are a female, you will be the best thing since sliced bread.
  5. Ah, one of those places where anything female is automatically attractive due to the scarcity of totty rather than their 'stunning good looks'????
  6. I dont think he meant that. There is a difference between desperation and stupidity. Depends on what you want out of your tour. I had a great time, got a little bit fit, ate too much and got a little bit fat, did not drink much. Watched too much TV, all the corimecs have Sky, BFBS etc. I got out and saw the town (market is good but everything is mickey mouse so be careful), saw Sarajevo twice (lovely city and get to the brewery for a meal, well worth it), saw a fair bit of the countryside in the summer and it is beautiful if you get away from the dump of BLMF . Enjoy it.
  7. All the CD/DVD stalls had been shut down last time I was there about 18 months ago. As has been said, it's worth getting out to visit Sarajevo and Banja Luka itself. If you're not a vegetarian, a meal at Lovacki Bar is unmissable (and cheap).
  8. Show how much things have changed then!

Last time I went for a drive around Sarajevo it was anything but lovely. Lively yes but not lovely. :)
  9. SKY ? bars ? Sun tans and social life ?

last time I was there they where shelling the sh@t out of it !

(scuttles off back to British legion)
  10. first deployment? newbie PQO??

in a previous thread you said you would see us at the WOs & Sgts P&P dinner:

how could you have made it to senior rank within the AMS (prior to PQO commisioning) and never been on a deployment before?!! Fablon sick chit? Or is it just your first time in Bosnia?
  11. Here a Pic of BLMF Med Centre a place you will learn to love :lol: :lol:

I have a few more, but a green corrimec is a green corrimec is a etc etc, you get the idea!
  12. Gee how it has olden days it was random boxes of books from the Church Army, no evening freedom as a "light schedule" involved working 12 on, 12 off except during the elections when it was overdrive, nobody allowed to leave camp even for runs, sniper in the orchard above the volleyball court, Balkan unloads from the VRS barbecue site up the road, did get trip to Sarajevo but wished I hadn't when the grass around the Hotel Turbe caught fire and ignited the landmines, interwhat? Sometimes Wavell worked. Social life - two can rule which then became zero tolerance. Oh and they sent us "Fish out of Marillion" and Miss Venezuela in some bizzare entertainment package. The locals? How they hated us...
  13. Sorry Cuddles, I was trying to boost Lady Hamiltons impression of the place. So, I exagerated a little bit. Locals hated us in 04, and probably still do
  14. At least they had the decency not to shoot at you, like they did in 95/96. Frankly BLMF is a hole, where were God to deliver an enema then he would place the tube right there - X -

Actually I was lucky, I got to travel around a fair bit on one of my LO jobs. Ooh there wasn't a mass grave that I didn't know the location of. For some reason the Regular officer who had that job gave it up during high summer...sinus troubles I think!
  15. I was there in 04, and orderly officer when we had bit of incoming fire. Must say I dont think I have ever moved so fast. I keep in touch with civs out there and hear that although it is sitll a hole, plans are afoot to wind the place up and move to Butmir. I was hoping to get a tour in this year, but unllikely at the moment.