Banja luka - hill top listening station

Im trying to work out where this was, did go there a few times and the accommodation was interesting. had to service the facilities and the drive up was interesting...

Mr Happy

LE
I don't recall a listening station on a hill TOP at Banja Luka, I do recall the roof of the metal factory being shot at. I suppose that was from the hill top which would explain a few things.

I was lucky enough to be stuck up the Viterog 3 weeks after joining 3RHA. Had an absolutely great time all the bacon butties you could eat, manhandling everything off the iso containers in 18 inches of snow, digging snowholes and a bit of sigs stuff thrown in to stop us getting too bored!!! Good times.

I don't recall a listening station on a hill TOP at Banja Luka, I do recall the roof of the metal factory being shot at. I suppose that was from the hill top which would explain a few things.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, on the way up was a helipad.
Then up through the woods (scary part) and at the top a small rebro station.
It even had old mortar positions too.
This was in 1997.

The hill top was some considerable distance away. Yes, the factory was shot at and people went to sleep hearing the restful sound of rounds hitting the gravel outside the portacabin type accomodation. Eventually an operation was laid on (presumably by the RAF Regiment, honest!) and the man's house was raided, the wife's reaction being 'Thank Bog you've come'. The gentleman had been in the habit of sniping BLMF when pissed. He was reported to the RS Civpol but somehow I doubt that any significant penalty was imposed, as long as he stopped doing it.

Last edited:
I think it was called lisena or sounded like lisena, there was a heli pad and a long windy stone track to the top that was as scary as hell - just aswell we had landrovers for it.

Try this one. Might put you straight.
Sigint Banja Luka
Although it doesn't give the exact location.
That sounds about right to me, top floor, front of hotel, overlooking both the military car park and the dodgy black market set-up (i.e. the local car garages where the stolen German cars were re-plated), just outside the perimeter, on the main road.

There were a few around Banja Luka. There was one not to far from the factory itself, a 10-15 min drive just of the main road and up through a small village and wooded area. If you went approx 45 mins in the opposite direction you had Lisena west which was a British RRB site and around the other side of the mountain was Lisena east which was a Czech comms and QRF site.

I took this at the Lisina EW site in Jan 1996. The buildings had been hit by cruise missiles so the BSA moved in mobile EW/Sig Int trucks

Attachments

Mr Happy

LE
Certainly on my tour all HF channels were being EW'd by the fuckwits with high energy shit folk music. Apparently demonstrating our inability to channel hop adequately or carry our CEW ops

I spent some time at the top of one those - we spent months servicing and remaking the road and it had a handful of Gurkhas manning the radio ( another interesting group of blokes).

The drive was very sketchy and a neighboring hill had a Military base with not so friendly faces. The damage from a U.S air strike wasn’t cleared up by 2000 either.

I thought it was closer to Prejidor, than Banja luka though.

I took this at the Lisina EW site in Jan 1996. The buildings had been hit by cruise missiles so the BSA moved in mobile EW/Sig Int trucks

I think you'll find those are radio relay rather than EW.
The BSA were "asked" to remove them due to jamming - not a common problem but frequent enough. We replaced them with our own rebros and R Sigs trucks - Triffid if my memory serves me correctly

The BSA were "asked" to remove them due to jamming - not a common problem but frequent enough. We replaced them with our own rebros and R Sigs trucks - Triffid if my memory serves me correctly
They aren’t jammers, except in so far as every transmitter is potentially a jammer of some sort. If they belonged to BSA they’re basically the BSA equivalent of our Ptarmigan Triffid vehicles and would have been used to maintain C2 links over multi channel radio relay shots. You confused me by describing them as ‘EW/Sigint’, which they aren’t.