Bandsmen packing Bucket and Spade

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Flip_Flop_the_Gog, Jan 13, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know whether Bandsmen, especially Blue Red Blue ones are off on a holiday with sun, sea and shooting in their favourite role as stretcher bearers?
  2. Ask George Bush
  3. Yes, they are.
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Good reply George

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Surely not the same Bandsmen who go to a Unit on Ops for 28 days, stay behind the wire, do one concert, and get a medal?

And not the same sort of Bandsmen who caused 2 marriages in one platoon to break up by shagging the wives of two of my Soldiers while on Ops a few years ago?

Rant off.

Most of 'em couldn't lift a stretcher anyway :)
  6. Most of them wouldn't know what to do with a stretcher, let alone carry one.

As to letting the buggers loose with basic first aid - god help the poor SOB they are trying to help....
  7. Some - but count the number of bands and the number that are going - big disconnect.  They tell me our bandsmen are all busy on FIASCO.... is this true?
  8. A few years ago, as one of my secondary duties, I was responsible for the medical training of the bandsmen within my Bde (when bands really did belong to their regiment).  In 3 years of trying very hard to get these people released for training I never succeeded once!  Blowing their horn was regarded as far more important than any medical training.  Has the situation improved since 1992?
  9. I suspect, as ever, that performance depends on the local bosses and management culture.

As a TA punter, we had the local band co-located (variously OPCON and ADMINCON), and they had a Fit-For-Role ratio that any TA unit would give its eye-teeth for; about 92% as I recall. Compared with our Company average of about 70%.

They are a damn good band (like, Kneller Hall love them to bits) and take the Med stuff quite seriously; and having done a couple of CFTs with them, they didn't exactly conform to the "Fat Bandsmen" image of old.......
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

As a Training Wing Sgt, I was always getting it in the neck because I couldn't get our two affiliated bands to turn up for Medical training and upgrading! They were always too busy! Luckily in the Gulf War 1, they only burnt the $hite and did little else!
  11. If you lot worried about sorting your own jobs, and spent less time bitching about something in which you ain't really got a clue......

One fundemental point that you all seem to be missing is that our Rank title starts with Musician/Bandsmen funnily enough because thats what we do!

I think the cruix of the matter is that your all crapping yourselves...................... 'Most of them wouldn't know what to do with a stretcher, let alone carry one' .................... Possibly true but the same person you've been slagging off in your Unit for the last 10 years and in here may just be the one that runs past you when your legs been blown off.

Besides who in there right mind would want to watch a load of squaddies tabbing around a pass of parade or Troop without sone good old tunes,

I don't think so!

You worry about your issues we'll look after ours, besides your all probably fat storemen anyway that have nothing better to do because you've been left in camp, cause your to fat to get off your backsides....?

So lets have a snipe at the Bandies....!
  12. :lol:

Sorry to jump on the "Jack" bandwagon but Let me guess with all that hot air and aggression you must blow the tuba as well as the pink flute Mr Godfrey? :wink:
  13. First job is as a rifleman mate. And surely if your role covers medical and stretcher bearing roles, then shouldn't you be trained to do that too? Surely being in a band doesn't take up your entire work week? I didn't think so...
  14. Rifleman? no sorry............... Exactly my point you lot of simple muppets haven't got a clue have you!

Yes we are musicians that is our primary role! and yes it does take up the whole week and some.... there is no medical role or stretcher bearing duties to perform. Due to this fact there is no training for it! but just to put you in the picture ITD's are taken and passed which include shooting guns spotting tanks and rolling about in the mud.... ummm does that take all week????????????

I believe the original idea came about so that joe blogg thicko squaddie could put his left leg forward directly after putting his right........ thus looking a little smarter for the inspecting officer.

1 pair of socks
    2 pairs of socks
    3 pairs of socks
    sh!t whats after 7
  15. So basically a PONTI :lol: