Builds Bandai 1/48 scale Panzer IV Ausf D.

starting this kit after a long period of should I? should I not? as it's old, really old. My Uncle Bob Brought me this when I was a kid, made a hash of it and hid from him for a month, He was a WW2 Artillery driver who suffered a shell hit and got burned when his Quad went up. So Uncle Bob, this one's for you. I'd better not mess it up his time or he'll come back and Haunt me.
art work box top.jpg

I have two of these, and made a choice of which one to make and which one to keep, not too difficult a decision when you check them out.
swastica complete.png

swastica deleted german version.png

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Go to Bovington. Examine their Ausf IV H. Notice that underneath all the in service upgrades, it's actually an Ausf IV D. Look at the stepped Driver/Co-driver plate.

Build one as a bog standard D. Build the other upgraded to H.

the sides of the box, the version sold in Europe and the one sold from Japan to the rest of the world including the UK
box side english.png

box side japan.png

So whats in the box for this 60s 70s kit
lid off.jpg

Go to Bovington. Examine their Ausf IV H. Notice that underneath all the in service upgrades, it's actually an Ausf IV D. Look at the stepped Driver/Co-driver plate.

Build one as a bog standard D. Build the other upgraded to H.
oh no, I'm not making them both, keeping one, I'll build a Dragon 35th for the H version. inside the box.
front plate.jpg

crew.jpg

parts a.jpg

here's a lesson for current kit makers, they made a turret floor back in the 60's for this simple kit, how about that you skinflint modern kit makers, minimum interior detail, so you don't look through an open hatch and get a empty shell.
instruction sheet a.jpg

instruction sheet b.jpg

the hull looks ok for the time, could have sworn it was in white plastic when I made it as a kid, might be a false memory.
hull.jpg

the Sprocket
sprocket.jpg

parts in the bag for the interior
interior parts.jpg

I built the Pak 40 in this series back in 1974 - nice little kit.

Actually that’s not quite true - started it in 1974, still only part built...

daz

LE
I built the Pak 40 in this series back in 1974 - nice little kit.

Actually that’s not quite true - started it in 1974, still only part built...
Working on @Simmerit wokka, wokka time then rather than GMT :)

I'm sure this old model will be built to appropriate modern and your extremely high stand standards but in case you even think of slacking off......
1584279059676.png

daz

LE
I'm sure this old model will be built to appropriate modern and your extremely high stand standards but in case you even think of slacking off......
View attachment 456498
Me? a critic?? I'll add that task to the duty jiffed roster then, shall I? :)

I'll look forward to welding that on @{Spank It, I'm getting some real welding practice in, so they should be good, I can feel a Phot ex to Bovy in the air.
front plate.jpg

Last edited:
return rollers made from two parts...
return rollers a.png

these road wheels are a bit flash, and I don't mean that in a get into your mates XR3i for the first time, they need a clean up.
flash roadwheel.png

the hull looks ok for the time, could have sworn it was in white plastic when I made it as a kid, might be a false memory.
View attachment 456465
the Sprocket
View attachment 456466
parts in the bag for the interior
View attachment 456467
Gah! Seeing that bottom pic just reminded me of those crummy little tubes of glue that came with those kits back in the day, where you had enough to do maybe 3/4 of the kit if you were as prodigious a smearer as I was. Usually half the tube wound up inside of a bubbletop canopy like on a Mustang or a Tempest.

they clean up fine and look ok, this is a tiny model it's only 120mm long. Smaller than a 1/35th scale Jeep.
three roadwheels on.png

Chef

LE
I wondered if these were the kits I was thinking of. They are and a fairly large range too at the time Opel Maultier amongst others I had a fair number when they first came out. Good kits and reasonable prices. If Bandai had continued with these and improved Tamiya and the like would have been looking to their laurels.

1/48 and interior detailing? A pity they faded out.

Latest Threads