band of brothers

#1
I recall a scene early in the series where two colums of troops were marching down a particularly dark road just ignoring each other, when they suddenly realised one was a german column and the other was american. Can anyone recall the name of the episode or if the scene was based on actual events?
 
#2
This scene was also in 'The Longest Day@ th B/W film from the late 60's and a classic.

Allegedly it was based on an actual event as both colums were gazing skyward at a plane.
 
#3
This scene was certainly in The Longest Day with the two troops passing either side of a stone wall. Not sure I remember it being in BoB though.
 
#4
I'm not sure if it is in the series (don't remember it), but I loosely remember an episode in the book where Winters was walking with a member of his coy (I think) when the latter was shot by a kraut...Winters retaliated by throwing a grenade, but forgot to take the pin out.
 
#6
I do remember a bit in BoB when a wall of a house falls down and there a few Boxheads in the room inside, with radio etc. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds until they realise what/where etc then ze germans get some lead poisoning from the septics. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Slightly off topic.....I bumped into Damien Lewis outside the Millenium stadium when going to watch the mighty Welsh beat the not so might sweaty socks a few years back. Had a quick chat with him and his Mum. He's a top bloke.
 
#7
smudge67 said:
I do remember a bit in BoB when a wall of a house falls down and there a few Boxheads in the room inside, with radio etc. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds until they realise what/where etc then ze germans get some lead poisoning from the septics. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Slightly off topic.....I bumped into Damien Lewis outside the Millenium stadium when going to watch the mighty Welsh beat the not so might sweaty socks a few years back. Had a quick chat with him and his Mum. He's a top bloke.
isn't this in saving private ryan :?
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#8
Certainly Longest Day but I have a inkling that BoB may have had it too. ISTR the stone wall wasn't in evidence, but there was a passing collumns thing, ISTR that they were all to weary to fight and just ambled on their way. Obviously it requires a re-watch..
 

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
Father_Gundulph said:
smudge67 said:
I do remember a bit in BoB when a wall of a house falls down and there a few Boxheads in the room inside, with radio etc. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds until they realise what/where etc then ze germans get some lead poisoning from the septics. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Slightly off topic.....I bumped into Damien Lewis outside the Millenium stadium when going to watch the mighty Welsh beat the not so might sweaty socks a few years back. Had a quick chat with him and his Mum. He's a top bloke.
isn't this in saving private ryan? :?
er yes...
 
#10
As luck would have it, I've just started watching BoB on DVD.
As it is against the rules to just watch one episode without doing the whole series I'll let you know.
Having said that I've watched it a few times and don't recall the incident described.
Also, the wall falling down bit is from Saving Private Ryan.
Schoolboy error.
You need to pay more attention to training films!
 
#11
Father_Gundulph said:
BoB and SPR being filmed the same way etc probably hasn't helped.
ISTR that they are both Spielberg and Pinewood Studio's productions, there were guest directors in the HBO series but I think they were 'mentored' by Mr S.

Obviously half the TA were extra's in BoB. The entire Irish Army were extras in SPR
 
#12
smudge67 said:
Father_Gundulph said:
smudge67 said:
I do remember a bit in BoB when a wall of a house falls down and there a few Boxheads in the room inside, with radio etc. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds until they realise what/where etc then ze germans get some lead poisoning from the septics. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Slightly off topic.....I bumped into Damien Lewis outside the Millenium stadium when going to watch the mighty Welsh beat the not so might sweaty socks a few years back. Had a quick chat with him and his Mum. He's a top bloke.
isn't this in saving private ryan? :?
Was it?? Bugger. Sorry. So many war films, so little time. They all blend into one after a while.

BoB and SPR being filmed the same way etc probably hasn't helped.

yeah, was going to say it's pretty easy to confuse the two, being shot in the same style and all

Will need to get out my BoB box set and watch it again.

Think i might too, you never know when it will pop up in conversation!!
 
#13
The bit that you are thinking about in BoB is when they were setting up an ambush just after landing on D-Day. A German supply column comes up the track (including a horse drawn wagon if I remember rightly). Winters tells them not to fire and the Sergeant (who was told before take off that his brother had been killed at Monte Cassino) shoots up the German Column and gets a b0ll0cking from Winters for his troubles.
 
#14
Father_Gundulph said:
smudge67 said:
I do remember a bit in BoB when a wall of a house falls down and there a few Boxheads in the room inside, with radio etc. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds until they realise what/where etc then ze germans get some lead poisoning from the septics. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Slightly off topic.....I bumped into Damien Lewis outside the Millenium stadium when going to watch the mighty Welsh beat the not so might sweaty socks a few years back. Had a quick chat with him and his Mum. He's a top bloke.
Met him once in Chamonix, had a little chat, top bloke.





For a gwah!
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
cowtipper said:
I'm not sure if it is in the series (don't remember it), but I loosely remember an episode in the book where Winters was walking with a member of his coy (I think) when the latter was shot by a kraut...Winters retaliated by throwing a grenade, but forgot to take the pin out.
Wasn't that the episode where Winters shoots the young German?

He runs forward without the rest of the platoon due to a misinterpretation of orders, chucks the grenade and the young boy is taking cover when Winters arrives and shoots him
 
#16
the_boy_syrup said:
cowtipper said:
I'm not sure if it is in the series (don't remember it), but I loosely remember an episode in the book where Winters was walking with a member of his coy (I think) when the latter was shot by a kraut...Winters retaliated by throwing a grenade, but forgot to take the pin out.
Wasn't that the episode where Winters shoots the young German?

He runs forward without the rest of the platoon due to a misinterpretation of orders, chucks the grenade and the young boy is taking cover when Winters arrives and shoots him
I always thought the young german was praying when Winters arrives and gives him the good news?

And wasn't the mix up something to do with waiting for the smoke to provide cover. I seem to recall (or i am making up widely believed facts again!) that Winters liked to be first in. Perhaps there was no mix up?

Just a thought.
 
#17
mnairb said:
The bit that you are thinking about in BoB is when they were setting up an ambush just after landing on D-Day. A German supply column comes up the track (including a horse drawn wagon if I remember rightly). Winters tells them not to fire and the Sergeant (who was told before take off that his brother had been killed at Monte Cassino) shoots up the German Column and gets a b0ll0cking from Winters for his troubles.
I reckon that's the bit. I dug out the boxset and watched it last week. There's also the part later on where the guy gets accidently shot by the sentry as he walks down the railway chatting to Winters. The medic then gives the Officers a b**locking for not knowing how much morphine they have given him.
 
#18
mnairb said:
The bit that you are thinking about in BoB is when they were setting up an ambush just after landing on D-Day. A German supply column comes up the track (including a horse drawn wagon if I remember rightly). Winters tells them not to fire and the Sergeant (who was told before take off that his brother had been killed at Monte Cassino) shoots up the German Column and gets a b0ll0cking from Winters for his troubles.
:? er correct me if i'm wrong but Winters gives the sgt a bollocking for not ceasing fire when ordered?
having seen BoB fcuking countless times (it always seems to be on when i'm on guard) i cannot recall seeing the scene when the two sides ignored eachother and went their own ways but know it's definately in Longest Day.
 
#19
the_boy_syrup said:
Wasn't that the episode where Winters shoots the young German?

He runs forward without the rest of the platoon due to a misinterpretation of orders, chucks the grenade and the young boy is taking cover when Winters arrives and shoots him
Nope, it wasn't shown in the series due to the producers not wanting to show Winters make what I suspect the viewers would regard as a silly mistake.
 
#20
DELLBOY398 said:
mnairb said:
The bit that you are thinking about in BoB is when they were setting up an ambush just after landing on D-Day. A German supply column comes up the track (including a horse drawn wagon if I remember rightly). Winters tells them not to fire and the Sergeant (who was told before take off that his brother had been killed at Monte Cassino) shoots up the German Column and gets a b0ll0cking from Winters for his troubles.
:? er correct me if i'm wrong but Winters gives the sgt a bollocking for not ceasing fire when ordered?
having seen BoB fcuking countless times (it always seems to be on when i'm on guard) i cannot recall seeing the scene when the two sides ignored eachother and went their own ways but know it's definately in Longest Day.
Winters bollox Guarnere because he opens fire on the krauts before his command. Though he does say "that's enough, Guarnere!"

Father_Gundulph said:
I always thought the young german was praying when Winters arrives and gives him the good news?

And wasn't the mix up something to do with waiting for the smoke to provide cover. I seem to recall (or i am making up widely believed facts again!) that Winters liked to be first in. Perhaps there was no mix up?

Just a thought.
Winters certainly liked to lead from the front, but not sure how much the series embellishes on that episode. I know Winters said that he thought the way the producers made his character have flashbacks was "just ridiculous". In the series, I think the mix-up is due to the smoke not going off when it was supposed to, leaving Winters a couple of minutes ahead of the rest of his platoon.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads