band of brothers

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by two_of_seven, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recall a scene early in the series where two colums of troops were marching down a particularly dark road just ignoring each other, when they suddenly realised one was a german column and the other was american. Can anyone recall the name of the episode or if the scene was based on actual events?

2. This scene was also in 'The Longest Day@ th B/W film from the late 60's and a classic.

Allegedly it was based on an actual event as both colums were gazing skyward at a plane.

3. This scene was certainly in The Longest Day with the two troops passing either side of a stone wall. Not sure I remember it being in BoB though.

4. I'm not sure if it is in the series (don't remember it), but I loosely remember an episode in the book where Winters was walking with a member of his coy (I think) when the latter was shot by a kraut...Winters retaliated by throwing a grenade, but forgot to take the pin out.

5. Definitely in the Longest Day. It's also mentioned in the book by Cornelius Ryan IIRC.

6. I do remember a bit in BoB when a wall of a house falls down and there a few Boxheads in the room inside, with radio etc. Then they stare at each other for a few seconds until they realise what/where etc then ze germans get some lead poisoning from the septics. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Slightly off topic.....I bumped into Damien Lewis outside the Millenium stadium when going to watch the mighty Welsh beat the not so might sweaty socks a few years back. Had a quick chat with him and his Mum. He's a top bloke.

7. isn't this in saving private ryan :?

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Certainly Longest Day but I have a inkling that BoB may have had it too. ISTR the stone wall wasn't in evidence, but there was a passing collumns thing, ISTR that they were all to weary to fight and just ambled on their way. Obviously it requires a re-watch..

9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

er yes...

10. As luck would have it, I've just started watching BoB on DVD.
    As it is against the rules to just watch one episode without doing the whole series I'll let you know.
    Having said that I've watched it a few times and don't recall the incident described.
    Also, the wall falling down bit is from Saving Private Ryan.
    Schoolboy error.
    You need to pay more attention to training films!

11. ISTR that they are both Spielberg and Pinewood Studio's productions, there were guest directors in the HBO series but I think they were 'mentored' by Mr S.

Obviously half the TA were extra's in BoB. The entire Irish Army were extras in SPR

13. The bit that you are thinking about in BoB is when they were setting up an ambush just after landing on D-Day. A German supply column comes up the track (including a horse drawn wagon if I remember rightly). Winters tells them not to fire and the Sergeant (who was told before take off that his brother had been killed at Monte Cassino) shoots up the German Column and gets a b0ll0cking from Winters for his troubles.

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't that the episode where Winters shoots the young German?

He runs forward without the rest of the platoon due to a misinterpretation of orders, chucks the grenade and the young boy is taking cover when Winters arrives and shoots him