Band of Brothers Bike Ride 2009

Coo! love to but.........

• My Arrse will look big in those funny shorts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Er......in the Sandbox that week...go for it you lot!

• The only bikes I ride do 0-60 under 5 secs...

• Damn straight - see you there!

• Meet you in Paris with a bottle of Pol ;-)

• Total voters

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Dear Goatman,

In May this year, 275 Help for Heroes cyclists, including a team from the Tri service rehabilitation centre at Headley Court, cycled through the battlefields of Northern France to link the actions of servicemen and women of the past with those of today. By the time hundreds of other riders joined us at Whitehall and we all rode past The Cenotaph, the ride had raised more that £1.3m for Help for Heroes.

Next year we are organising another ride, The Band of Brothers Bike Ride and you have a chance to be one of the riders. 300 of us will ride through the Normandy battlefields to commemorate the Allies’ liberation of Europe 65 years ago. With us will be teams from our Allies of today, wounded servicemen from America, Canada and France as well as our own from Headley Court.

The ride will be a challenge, France is not flat, for some it will be life changing but for all it will certainly be one of the most worthwhile things you have ever done. You will ride alongside brave men and women whose lives have also changed forever through their injuries and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you will be helping raise money for them and hundreds like them.

Whilst remembering the efforts of all the WWII heroes, we are doing this ride to remember and care for the wounded soldiers of today. Each rider will pledge to raise money for Help for Heroes and by taking part you will be making a significant contribution towards the H4H cause.

Don’t find an excuse, this is your chance to get up and do your bit. I don’t want to hear that you are not fit enough, can’t find the time to train, might find it hard to raise the money, are too old, too fat or look silly in Lycra; this is your chance to do something really good. The blokes do it and some of them are missing legs, arms or are blind. You will do this for them, you will do this to prove you can…. and we all look silly in Lycra!

Come on, join us today!

Bryn
LINKY

' G'wan,g'wan,g'wan.....GO ON ! You know you want to... ' :)

Bit of hoikage for H4H and the goatmonster:

If you regretted missing out on last year's epic H4H Battlefields Bike Ride then you might be able to assuage your woe by signing up to this little jaunt instead. Actually, it does look to be a fabulous (if knackering) trip with no doubt a repeat of the superb welcome upon return to our shores. And don't be worrying about red cheeks at wearing lycra, it'll serve only to accentuate the tight cheeks you'll end up with!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
.Dolly said:
If you regretted missing out on last year's epic H4H Battlefields Bike Ride then you might be able to assuage your woe by signing up to this little jaunt instead. Actually, it does look to be a fabulous (if knackering) trip with no doubt a repeat of the superb welcome upon return to our shores. And don't be worrying about red cheeks at wearing lycra, it'll serve only to accentuate the tight cheeks you'll end up with!
Thanks small blonde running machine - you up for it then?

Only 300 places - get them while they're hot !

Actually, from what I've seen so far, the return journey will be by Eurostar - unless Crab Air (or indeed Lockheed) seize an opportunity to grab some KRAFPE* time and lay on a C-130J to collect us all from Le Bourget or summink.

I don't think one Fat Albert would fit us all in though - no matter how many pounds everyone loses along the journey ;-)

Come on ladies -get signed up. What better way to shed some of those post Christmas pounds than in the company of lithe dashing Servicemen in lycra !

Oh,and guys.... if you think you dasn't give it a go because Lycra is just s-o-o-o-o unforgiving - believe me, if you look at some of the pics from last year, bald heads and beer-bellies were every bit as much in evidence as toned and nubile Page 3 girls. I think the oldest rider was 86.......and was commissioned in 1944....

I had a blast. You will too - get IN there! The morre ARRSERS the merrier in my view!

Lee Shaver

* Keeping the Royal Air Force In The Public Eye

Goats,

Guess which voting button I pressed :wink:

Relieved to hear it's the Eurostar return option :roll:

.Dolly - I heard a rumour you might be up for the Paris Marathon next year? Go for it, nice and flat, see ya there!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
fairmaidofperth said:
Goats,

Guess which voting button I pressed :wink:
personalised to order Ma'am - shame work/family/kids/velophobia* means you are unable to join us for the ride itself :D

I asked H4H where they currently stood.....they have so far received 200 registrations.

None as yet have a confirmed place.

Places ( apart from the team from DMRC Headley Court and 2 other teams of wounded Service perss) will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

Teams have to have an INDIVIDUAL place registered. That is , EACH team member has to make an individual application - you cannot bowl up and say:

' Tinkety-tonk H4H what? We're 1st Bn Loamshires (oooh-arr!) and we'd like to reserve ten seats on the bus please'

I say again to anyone who has a genuine interest :

NODUF......SAFEGUARD...........WATCH MY LIPS ...........
- DON'T HANG ABOUT !

The application form is HERE
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/dday_reg/registration.html

Hacker, Shovel-Recce - you on again ?

Le Chevre

* fear and loathing bordering on mania of anything with 2 wheels. Less well developed instances categorized as '"Sturmey-Archer Syndrome" or SAS.....

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
< BUMP>

If you are on FaceBook - link here

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good man C-B ......skin of your teeth !

This is what comes through the post in the fullness of time:
Dear Goats

Congratulations!!!!

Thank you so much for registering to be part of The Band of Brother Bike Ride 09, I am very pleased to announce that your registration has been accepted. As you may be aware we completed The Big Battlefield Bike Ride in May this year which was a fantastic success, but let’s make this one even better.

Firstly – If you answered ‘YES’ to any of the listed questions on the medical form, please could you ensure that a signed and dated letter from your doctor confirming that you are able to take part is sent into us before Friday 11th January.IMPORTANT – If you fail to supply us with the above it may result in you losing your place on the bike ride!

SPONSORSHIP:
Please see stated below the required dates in which your sponsorship should be received:

· £150 Registration fee: We have received this with your application. Please note that this is now non-refundable and will be banked in the next few weeks.

· March 1st: £800 – This covers the cost of your trip. (Please be advised that if this not received it may result in you losing your place on the bike ride!)

· July 1st::The remainder of your sponsorship which must come to a minimum of £2000 (of which the above £800 is included). Please note that the registration fee is separate and can’t be used as part of your sponsorship.

PAYMENT OF SPONSORSHIP:

Could you please send in all sponsorship in cheque form to:

Attn: Katie Cherrett
Help for Heroes,
Unit 6,
Aspire Business Centre,
Ordnance Rd, Tidworth,
SP9 7QD

If you could ensure that YOUR FULL NAME IS STATED ON THE BACK OF EVERY CHEQUE it would be very helpful as we need to ensure all your sponsorship is allocated to your total.
If your individual sponsors are able to sign for Giftaid, please could you ensure that they do so; below I have stated a URL link which enables you to download our donation/Giftaid form:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/downloads/H4H_Donation_Form.pdf

All details regarding your required kit and insurance will follow shortly in the post.

Please find below URL links to our Sponsorship forms which you can download from our website. If you have any technical restrictions, please do not hesitate to contact us (supplying your mailing address) and we will send hard copies to you in the mail. The first sponsorship form includes a Gift Aid section. If the person sponsoring you is a UK tax payer and pays more tax in the year than the amount they are sponsoring you, we can claim a further 28p in every £1 of donation at no cost to them, from the Treasury. The donor would need to complete one of these forms for us to be able to do so. The second sponsorship form takes the form of a regular sponsorship form, simply recording the amounts, name and address of each sponsor.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/downloads/SPONSORFORM1.pdf

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/downloads/SPONSORFORM2.pdf

In today's e-age, you might consider tapping into your email address contacts by setting up a justgiving sponsorship page and emailing the link to all in your address book. Justgiving will handle all transactions, paying donations direct to Help for Heroes and where appropriate directly claim Gift Aid from the Treasury. They offer a worthwhile service, charging 5% of the total donations, for taking the hassle factor away, leaving you to concentrate on training. I have attached a URL to their website with instructions on how to set up a page. You are under no obligation whatsoever to pursue this route of obtaining sponsorship. Only you will know your target audience and the best approach to employ.

http://www.justgiving.com/helpforheroes/raisemoney

If there is anything else at all that I could help with please do not hesitate to contact me.
HAPPY TRAINING AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!
See you soon, lycra and all!

Katie Cherrett

Events Team

Folks, if you want to do this ride -I say again - you need to get in QUICK.....

Bonne Chance mes camarades - ALLONS-Y !!

Le Chevre

BE THE FIRST TO SPONSOR ME!!!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Craig & Phil ? - Scouse as they come ? Or were they so fast on that tandem you couldn't catch up ?

Ladies,
.....the well kept secret of last year's Ride...here we see 'Hero' bear guarding the (ahem)

FREE CHOCOLATE

which was a feature of every water stop.

That is

FREE CHOCOLATE...........FREE CHOCOLATE..........

the application form is HERE
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/dday_reg/registration.html

Lee Shaver

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Aw phooo.......good luck to all those who have actually GOT a place on the ride in 2009 .....my name didn't come out of the hat,dang it.

Working hard on not taking it personally......there it is, Insh 'Allah an' all that ........might be another marathon year instead :)

Do use this thread to keep us all updated those of you lucky enough to be included in this year's extravaganza!

Lee Shaver