Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Band of Brothers, 101st ABN hero dies

"Rest in Peace" hardly seems sufficient for one such as he. As it happens, I watched the Band of Brothers episode this evening which included the attack on Foy. What an example of leadership.

Only know about him from the TV series and book Band Of Brothers but seemed to me not only an outstanding soldier and leader but one who genuinely cared about his men.

Currahee.

cpunk said:
Wasn't he the one who shot the group of German prisoners?

It remains unconfirmed, at least according to the Wikipedia bio of Speirs addressing that rumor. He apparently shot one of his sergeants for disobeying a command during combat.

I'm not sad - I'm glad he lived in a time when the free world needed him, and I'm glad he lived long enough to enjoy his hard earned freedom.

RIP

Along with Dick Winters, he was the epitome of an ideal combat leader - the world is fortunate such people served as they did in WW2. An example to all in the profession today.

RIP and condolences to his family.