Ban smoking in cars, says British Medical Association

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by stinker, Nov 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Perhaps the Doctors union should stick to union activities.
  2. Of course the BMA had to attend to this matter, after all there are no other serious issues to be solved.
  3. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

Given that the police can't police burglaries and other real crimes, how do these numpties propose to police this ban if they get it into law?
    • Like Like x 5
  4. And how will this be enforced?

Spot checks of car ashtrays?
    Sniff tests?
    Smoke detectors fitted in cars?
    Police cars doing visual patrols and pulling over errant drivers or their passengers

Dear BMA… **** OFF, it's my car.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. IMHO, I think that it is good that smoking is finally being cracked down on.

Most of the public doesn't like smokers, they stink and are very selfish about their habits.

However, I also believe that smokers should be allowed to smoke in their own vehicles, even if it is dangerous for them - they're the ones who know they're doing no good to themselves. But if it turns out that it is dangerous for other road users then yes it should be banned.

Why should they have the right to continue their habits if they are diminishing the rights of others, the majority?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Because the ban on using mobile phones worked well didn't it.
    • Like Like x 3

7. And how pray tell does my wife smoking in my car affect or endanger other road users in any way?
  8. But bear in mind,the Chancellor receives circa £11bn per annum from tobacco sales.
  9. Doctors should study PTSD and make an effort to give sufferers prompt and effective treatment.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. I was saying that if the toxic whatever its called is so much stronger/more dangerous inside the car, then that is dangerous for the driver, and so is more dangerous for other road users.

At least, thats the logic.
  11. Its the flames associated with the smoke :biggrin:
  12. I don't smoke in cars anyway. I haven't smoked for 30 years now so in a way it should be a non issue for me but it's not just about the act of smoking. How far do you go? Six weeks ago, not wearing a seat belt cost me 60 quid! I was not hurting anyone. I was driving along minding my own business. There was no one else in the car. Yet the powers exist for a policeman to pull me over and give me a piece of paper that compells me to hand over £60 to the state with the threat of more dire action being taken against me if I don't pay. Admittedly, I was talking on the phone as well and he didn't do me for that but I think the same thing applies. I wasn't hurting anyone etc.

The chief exec of ASH sat on the telly this morning reeling off all sorts of statistics telling us this and that. Personally, I'd like to see people like her devote their talents to developing strategies that catch burglars, prevent mugging and put together useful workable ideas to create employment and open avenues to get the majority of people back at work again.

Of course in the list of priorities that matter most to people, smoking in your motor is the biggy!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. True, I don't mean that they should have a complete ban. It just pisses me off when for example I'm at the railway station surrounded by a mob of smokers breathing their smoke in my face. I wish they would consider others more before cracking open the cigarette.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. What has that got to do with this thread?