Ban on visible ink to be lifted!

Fintry

Old-Salt
Personally I feel that you shouldn't be allowed to be in the soldiers unless you have a sh*t tattoo...

..preferably of your ugly child/lasses face.

..or relevant regional soccer team emblem.

To be honest I've seen loads of soldiers (even recruits at basic so not just the old and bold) with visible tattoos, so this doesn't really make much of a difference.

Unless things have changed very recently (last few days), the most recent policy is that all tattoos visible below long sleeves or on the head or neck, visible when wearing an open necked shirt, must be registered on JPA and no new tattoos in those areas are permitted (in theory any such new visible tattoos would result in disciplinary action). New recruits may not join with visible tattoos below the long sleeved shirt cuff or on the head or neck visible when wearing an open collared shirt.

Additionally, no offensive/racist tattoos are permitted, whether visible or not. The definition of offensive is in the DIN, but broadly speaking, anything showing sexual violence, kiddy fiddling, etc. or offensive text.

Personally I support these rules entirely, as I don't think soldiers should look like gypsies/convicts/thugs with tattoos all over their hands, necks and faces. We are more professional than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lydia88

Swinger
Actually, on the topic of visible ink ...

I've got a medium sized tattoo on the back of my right calf. Seeing how, as a woman, I'd be wearing a skirt for Dress Uniform, is it likely to be a problem? Or would this come under lifting the ban on visible ink?

I've got a medium sized tattoo on the back of my right calf. Seeing how, as a woman, I'd be wearing a skirt for Dress Uniform, is it likely to be a problem? Or would this come under lifting the ban on visible ink?
Ask your recruiter.

Tasteful.

Unless things have changed very recently (last few days), the most recent policy is that all tattoos visible below long sleeves or on the head or neck, visible when wearing an open necked shirt, must be registered on JPA and no new tattoos in those areas are permitted (in theory any such new visible tattoos would result in disciplinary action). New recruits may not join with visible tattoos below the long sleeved shirt cuff or on the head or neck visible when wearing an open collared shirt.

Additionally, no offensive/racist tattoos are permitted, whether visible or not. The definition of offensive is in the DIN, but broadly speaking, anything showing sexual violence, kiddy fiddling, etc. or offensive text.

Personally I support these rules entirely, as I don't think soldiers should look like gypsies/convicts/thugs with tattoos all over their hands, necks and faces. We are more professional than that.

The rules have been ignored for years, particularly with the type that are on the neck/behind the ear.
Its been remarked upon that some people have them on their face but as they are black (both the preson and tattoo) its quite hard to see.
On the theme of offensive tattoo its been mentioned that some of the commonwealth soldier do have offensive inks, but as the buzzword of the day is "Tolerance" everyone is pretending they dont exist.

Personally I don't think it makes much of difference to being a soldier whether you are plastered in the things or have none.

great reporting from the Express.
The guy in the first pic is how old, and the soldier pictured is a yank/Canadian

The comments are great fun, too

The rules have been ignored for years, particularly with the type that are on the neck/behind the ear.
Its been remarked upon that some people have them on their face but as they are black (both the preson and tattoo) its quite hard to see.
On the theme of offensive tattoo its been mentioned that some of the commonwealth soldier do have offensive inks, but as the buzzword of the day is "Tolerance" everyone is pretending they dont exist.

Personally I don't think it makes much of difference to being a soldier whether you are plastered in the things or have none.

While these have been tolerated for years, a new DIN came out about a month ago, effectively tightening the rules and saying that they will no longer be tolerated (except for those already in the system, who will have grandfather rights).

Ender-Graff-Mazer.jpg

The guy on the left would never be allowed in these days...never mind how many aliens he killed...

Rodney2q

While these have been tolerated for years, a new DIN came out about a month ago, effectively tightening the rules and saying that they will no longer be tolerated (except for those already in the system, who will have grandfather rights).

I think the rules have been there at least since I joined up, still hasnt made a difference.
If the army did start dicharging people, I'm sure those who want out early will get a minor tattoo in an obvious place as it saves on the hassle of pretending to do drugs.

great reporting from the Express.
The guy in the first pic is how old, and the soldier pictured is a yank/Canadian

The comments are great fun, too
Yank I think, so far as I know tattoos cannot be visible when a short sleeved shirt is worn in the Canadian Military. This might have changed though.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer

It wouldn't be a problem. The dress code is set as when in MTP with the collar button (or Velcro now) open. In my last unit we had a female with tattoos all over her arms (full sleeves) and legs.