Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ban on coal and " wet " wood for use in wood burners and fireplaces

Ban it from being sold, that does for household coal. Can't stop people burning their own wood, but a ban on sales will reduce it.
It is only traditional coal that is being banned...

The BBC News said:
Makers of solid fuels will also need to show they have a very low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke.

Wet wood sales in volumes of <2m³ are to be phased out but will /may continue to be sold in volumes ≥ 2m³ c/w with advice on drying before burning. (That’ll stop people burning wet wood then)

. . . and, for those of us who've lived in Germany:

1582290058145.png

A variation of the holzhausen, constructed so as to allow the wood to dry and season. Having travelled to Norway several times, they utilise a similar system.

It’s not wood it’s timber, it’s wood whilst it’s growing and becomes timber when it’s been chopped down.

So I’ll keep burning timber, and it’s not wet either, it dries on my fire then burns just fine.

I take it as a personal challenge to source and chop up all my own fire wood. I've got a firewood store divided into 2 bays. So one side is now nearly empty as I've been burning all winter. I'll refill that in the summer and it'll season for a year. Come next winter I'll use the bay of stuff that I chopped last summer. I did have a drama a couple of years ago when I just could not find any free wood but normally I'm pretty successful. I must be doing it right as the chimney sweep says the flue is in good order. I still cant help feeling the new legislation is the thin end of the wedge and regulations will become more restrictive.

I use the approved coal. They’re smokeless brickets. I stopped using coal in my dual fuel log burner and started using these instead. They create less soot, burn hotter and last longer than coal, although they’re a bit more expensive. About 50p per kilo for the good stuff.

I banked my fire up at four in the afternoon the other night. Came back from work at five the following day, gave the grate a good shake to get rid of the ash and low and behold I’ve still got burning embers in the grate. A few sticks of kindling and away you go.I’ve never had a coal fire last 24 hours
We gave up on most brickettes. They seemed difficult to get going and push out b*gger all heat. We use coal and logs in the open fire; logs in the wood-burner.

We gave up on most brickettes. They seemed difficult to get going and push out b*gger all heat. We use coal and logs in the open fire; logs in the wood-burner.
I didn’t mean brickettes. I meant the smokeless coal.

this kind of stuff

Burning coal and other smoke producing fuel has been illegal in most cities and towns since the Clean Air Act 1955. I recall someone being prosecuted in Edinburgh for using a non smokeless fuel in around 2008.

Happily following the "Consultation" the Forest of Dean free miners will still be allowed to sell their crappy coal on grounds of low volume, local tradition innit

(Responses along the lines that the sooner retarded webbed footed inbreds kill themselves off the better appear to have been edited out)

Burning coal and other smoke producing fuel has been illegal in most cities and towns since the Clean Air Act 1955. I recall someone being prosecuted in Edinburgh for using a non smokeless fuel in around 2008.
Not sure about other cities but back in Sheffield before I got a woodburner I'd got an open fire and burnt coal in it. Sheffield's nearly all smokeless so the coal merchants are only supposed to deliver to the few outlying areas that aren't. First time you phone them they ask your postcode then ask you to come down in person. Pop into the back room with the gaffer and he explains he can't supply that address if you're burning it, hands over a form stating you are buying it as decorative aggregate, gets you to sign it and sticks it in the filing cabinet with thousands of others. Job jobbed.

This has the stench of an EU inspired edict. The French burn so much wood it's a miracle there's a tree left standing in Normandy. I can't see the Chinese paying much attention to a coal burning ban either. As usual, we are the mugs, and complicit in the mugging are our own civil servants who invariably gold-plate the river of crap flowing out of Brussels.

Stuff them . I've got a chain saw and a pick up . I'll get my own fekkin wood
BIL, does that he lives out east anglia with lots of woodland in his locality. Landy, tralior and chainsaw. He’s in and out taking what he needs and has never been bothered by anybody.

This has the stench of an EU inspired edict. The French burn so much wood it's a miracle there's a tree left standing in Normandy. I can't see the Chinese paying much attention to a coal burning ban either. As usual, we are the mugs, and complicit in the mugging are our own civil servants who invariably gold-plate the river of crap flowing out of Brussels.
Well, I am sure the days of this type of garbage are numbered, once Boris gets his head 2021. Although I a sure Ms Simmons is providing more than enough for the fat one.