Ban on coal and " wet " wood for use in wood burners and fireplaces

Also happening in Copenhagen and Paris too, both mayors have started to issue the relevant orders.
Probably happening elsewhere too, but those are the only places I have visited this year so far where it is applicable.
Coming soon to Wales as well, judging by the weather in this clip...............

Just to Clarify are coffee logs okay to burn, I have to admit this recent deluge has made a coal peat or simple log fire therapeutic

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
Please forgive the first part, it is relevant to the thread.
Today I happened to be driving in a borrowed car and the satnav suggested some quite off the beaten track shortest routes that proved to be through some beautiful villages. In the middle of nowhere various horse boxes were parked off the road and I came up behind a resplendent gentleman riding an immaculate horse. Naturally I slowed to a crawl and kept a distance until he waved me past. I crept past minimizing revs and as far away as is possible on a narrow country lane. It was quite unexpected that he then tipped his hat and called "Thank you very much". A couple of chaps with children who were standing just off the road near some horse boxes waved cheerily probably just less than a hundred yards later. As I had seen the boxes and not knowing whether they were occupied I had not revved or sped up much so was probably at most doing 20 MPH as I took a hard left turn with hedges restricting the view of the road ahead. An emergency stop just around the corner was occasioned by a group of people walking towards me in the middle of the road, none of whom seemed to be looking at the road (or listening in the silence for the sound of a car). They seemed to be all across the road so I couldn't swerve. Nobody was hurt.

The group all wore "urban" clothes, had hoodies over their heads and some form of cloth tied to cover their faces. I could clearly see chest mounted cameras on the few that were in my direct gaze as my braking happened in slow motion. There are several epithets that can precede my relief at not having hit anybody. Note to self: NEVER skimp on brake pads or discs.
In the distance on a ridge to the left a cavalcade of immaculately black coated riders trotted into view. At that point I realized that a hunt was taking place and the lunatics in the road were "sabs". If they cannot even traverse a road without being a danger to traffic and themselves then I feel it is unlikely that their opinions on most subjects are worthy of listening to. When the aforesaid "voluntarily attempted road kill" finally deigned to get out of the road (they were not rude or abusive just sullen), I slowly continued on. A few cheery waves and gestures/expressions from some onlookers standing off the road (I took the gestures to mean "Bad luck you missed but glad you're alright") and the very minor occurrence was over.

With regard to wood and coal burning, there is no need to worry about the police or council officials. The self-appointed arbiters of what they deem to be right or wrong will make it their mission to expose anybody with the temerity to do something that they disapprove of even if they have to buy/borrow/liberate any required equipment.
Before today I have never been to or witnessed a hunt and generally have a live and let live attitude. After today, I think I side with those people going about their activity with their faces on display, who show discipline, politeness and manners. As for the craven that hide their faces and clearly do not understand any basic rules e.g. walking to the side of a road on the side facing oncoming traffic, "I diskard them" (after Molesworth). It will be narrow minded bigots like them who follow an undisputed (by them) idealogical path, with no understanding of the complexities of the wider implications of any absolute view who will go out of their way to fix the splinter in your eye whilst ignoring the plank in their own. These are the people who will make it their mission to criticize, petition, inform on anybody with whom they do not agree.

Note: As both the splinter and the plank have been in contact with eyes, clearly their moisture content will have increased so under no circumstances should either be burned!!!

In rather colder climes I burned about 1.5 cords per winter. My only gripe was that the wood burning stove was not in the basement where it would have heated the whole house. I cut down the trees, cut into rounds, split them, then stacked them for two years before burning. My chimney was inspected and cleaned annually but I ended up getting "mate's rates" as little cleaning was required (though it was dutifully performed) so I got fitted into a slack period each year (at their behest) as they felt it was unfair to charge me. Oak, pine, poplar (not as we know it in UK more a supercharged silver birch - though it is not good burning as it needs to really dry out and has a low calorific value), cedar (care needs to be taken ref sap) and various fruit woods. If you start a fire with a little kindling and some poplar and build up to the harder woods for heat and longevity, even minus 40 outside is a doddle. Note: My incredibly expensive gas and electricity rates were kept to bills so low that both providers kicked off. Production of the bills was certainly a major plus when it came to selling the house.

To pick up on an earlier opinion, given that UK is already almost at the point of brown out (and these have happened recently though only occasionally), if we ditch everything and move to electricity to power cars, heating etc, where is the base power production coming from? Have we cracked fusion? The vast increase in the need for electricity is not matched by the required vast increase in electricity production or planned production. My next house will have a fireplace or two for when the whole stupidity falls apart. I can then sell access to therms to any green neighbours at quintuple the price of other people.

GH

Last edited:

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Today I happened to be driving in a borrowed car and the satnav suggested some quite off the beaten track shortest routes that proved to be through some beautiful villages. In the middle of nowhere various horse boxes were parked off the road and I came up behind a resplendent gentleman riding an immaculate horse. Naturally I slowed to a crawl and kept a distance until he waved me past. I crept past minimizing revs and as far away as is possible on a narrow country lane. It was quite unexpected that he then tipped his hat and called "Thank you very much". A couple of chaps with children who were standing just off the road near some horse boxes waved cheerily probably just less than a hundred yards later. As I had seen the boxes and not knowing whether they were occupied I had not revved or sped up much so was probably at most doing 20 MPH as I took a hard left turn with hedges restricting the view of the road ahead. An emergency stop just around the corner was occasioned by a group of people walking towards me in the middle of the road, none of whom seemed to be looking at the road (or listening in the silence for the sound of a car). They seemed to be all across the road so I couldn't swerve. Nobody was hurt.

The group all wore "urban" clothes, had hoodies over their heads and some form of cloth tied to cover their faces. I could clearly see chest mounted cameras on the few that were in my direct gaze as my braking happened in slow motion. There are several epithets that can precede my relief at not having hit anybody. Note to self: NEVER skimp on brake pads or discs.
In the distance on a ridge to the left a cavalcade of immaculately black coated riders trotted into view. At that point I realized that a hunt was taking place and the lunatics in the road were "sabs". If they cannot even traverse a road without being a danger to traffic and themselves then I feel it is unlikely that their opinions on most subjects are worthy of listening to. When the aforesaid "voluntarily attempted road kill" finally deigned to get out of the road (they were not rude or abusive just sullen), I slowly continued on. A few cheery waves and gestures/expressions from some onlookers standing off the road (I took the gestures to mean "Bad luck you missed but glad you're alright") and the very minor occurrence was over.

With regard to wood and coal burning, there is no need to worry about the police or council officials. The self-appointed arbiters of what they deem to be right or wrong will make it their mission to expose anybody with the temerity to do something that they disapprove of even if they have to buy/borrow/liberate any required equipment.
Before today I have never been to or witnessed a hunt and generally have a live and let live attitude. After today, I think I side with those people going about their activity with their faces on display, who show discipline, politeness and manners. As for the craven that hide their faces and clearly do not understand any basic rules e.g. walking to the side of a road on the side facing oncoming traffic, "I diskard them" (after Molesworth). It will be narrow minded bigots like them who follow an undisputed (by them) idealogical path, with no understanding of the complexities of the wider implications of any absolute view who will go out of their way to fix the splinter in your eye whilst ignoring the plank in their own.

Note: As both the splinter and the plank have been in contact with eyes, clearly their moisture content will have increased so under no circumstances should either be burned!!!

In rather colder climes I burned about 1.5 cords per winter. My only gripe was that the wood burning stove was not in the basement where it would have heated the whole house. I cut down the trees, cut into rounds, split them, then stacked them for two years before burning. My chimney was inspected and cleaned annually but I ended up getting "mate's rates" as little cleaning was required (though it was dutifully performed) so I got fitted into a slack period each year (at their behest) as they felt it was unfair to charge me. Oak, pine, poplar (not as we know it in UK more a supercharged silver birch - though it is not good burning as it needs to really dry out and has a low calorific value), cedar (care needs to be taken ref sap) and various fruit woods. If you start a fire with a little kindling and some poplar and build up to the harder woods for heat and longevity, even minus 40 outside is a doddle. Note: My incredibly expensive gas and electricity rates were kept to bills so low that both providers kicked off. Production of the bills was certainly a major plus when it came to selling the house.

To pick up on an earlier opinion, given that UK is already almost at the point of brown out (and these have happened recently though only occasionally), if we ditch everything and move to electricity to power cars, heating etc, where is the base power production coming from? Have we cracked fusion? The vast increase in the need for electricity is not matched by the required vast increase in electricity production or planned production. My next house will have a fireplace or two for when the whole stupidity falls apart. I can then sell access to therms to any green neighbours at quintuple the price of other people.

GH
Yep.

Before today I have never been to or witnessed a hunt and generally have a live and let live attitude. After today, I think I side with those people going about their activity with their faces on display, who show discipline, politeness and manners. As for the craven that hide their faces and clearly do not understand any basic rules e.g. walking to the side of a road on the side facing oncoming traffic, "I diskard them" (after Molesworth). It will be narrow minded bigots like them who follow an undisputed (by them) idealogical path, with no understanding of the complexities of the wider implications of any absolute view who will go out of their way to fix the splinter in your eye whilst ignoring the plank in their own. These are the people who will make it their mission to criticize, petition, inform on anybody with whom they do not agree.

GH
If you`d ran the sab wañkers/masked criminals over you`d have had free drinks for life in the local pub.

Haha, and yet 'Green' Germany is still the worlds biggest lignite producer... burning the brown crap every day. If you think stopping Joe Blocks from burning 'good quality' coal and then Germany and the rest of the EU burning lignite is going to improve anything you have got to be joking.

If the Government wants to stop pollution - we need to kill off about 7 billion people.
And Germany have in the last 10 years re-routed an autobahn (the A4 between Koln and Aachen) and raised villages nearby to gain access to even more coal.

How much do Russia, China and India pollute again?. One hell of a lot.

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
Dear CptDanjou,

Unfortunately I am a reasonable and decent human being who would be forever upset by running over one of the aforesaid types. About these drinks for life though....
I am afraid that the stamp onto the brake albeit extremely under the speed limit but with people in the road ahead (and we are only talking about a few feet between bumper and humans) is the main thing that I remember. I couldn't honestly tell you exactly what order various things came in as that was the "defining" moment.

It was an attitude (that I perceived as opposed to reality), that I remember most. Prior to the "almost" incident everything was light hearted and pleasant. On encountering the sabs (albeit in a little shock), it was my perception of their sheer negativity that is the most memorable thing along with their sheer unknowingness of what was happening (and why). They just didn't seem to understand that several of them nearly died. I stopped the car a little further on and just looked at the gorgeous scenery until my heart rate came down sufficiently. F**& it I nearly killed someone or several.

I haven't really thought it through but I think there is an ignorance rather than an enlightenment about these people. I think they see things through a very narrow prism and cannot extrapolate to understand how other people might feel in a given situation, "the cause" is everything. If this is the case then I am very glad that "Queen and Country" is my cause. Ah well.

I think that I resent that anybody could be so careless of their personal safety in such mundane circumstances. And then I realised that they haven't a clue and don't know. Ah well. There are none so blind as them that will not see.

I was very impressed by the hunt as they appeared on a ridge line. They were all wearing black jackets, and at the trot. I was quite moved by seeing them.

My apologies if I have meandered, now tell me about these pubs and free drinks for life so I can do a cost/benefit analysis for next weekend!!

GH

The unit I was talking of takes in whole tree trunks and chips them on site as part of the burning process that generates heating and lighting to a biggish industrial park.
I think compressed and bagged wood chip brickets for domestic/ small unit burning will meet the required specifications
EA monitors emissions on these units.

Flue gas treatment systems are very impressive nowadays and have been fitted to all recent biomass units. Same tech as in energy from waste plants, and if it cleans the crap out of binliner smoke it'll clean woodsmoke ok.

I will put on my body armour and take cover behind my mechanical engineering and HETAS qualifications before saying this;
That actually makes perfect sense.
Throw on a couple more logs and push past dehydration and pyrolysis to gassification...

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
And Germany have in the last 10 years re-routed an autobahn (the A4 between Koln and Aachen) and raised villages nearby to gain access to even more coal.

I know it's a bit of thread-drift but I saw yesterday that an ancient village in eastern Germany is about to be bulldozed to allow even more lignite to be extracted. The residents are not happy.

Anyone who has seen the lignite workings in that country will know how vast they are - and also how the stuff stinks and smokes when it's being burnt.

Greece are as bad if not worse than Germany as they are digging the stuff out as if their lives depended on it - probably does though...

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
EA monitors emissions on these units.

Flue gas treatment systems are very impressive nowadays and have been fitted to all recent biomass units. Same tech as in energy from waste plants, and if it cleans the crap out of binliner smoke it'll clean woodsmoke ok.
Where does all the crap go to - is it absorbed into the limestone in the filters? If so, where do the filters go when they are full? Landfill maybe? Genuine question.

Where does all the crap go to - is it absorbed into the limestone in the filters? If so, where do the filters go when they are full? Landfill maybe? Genuine question.

Good question.

Primarily the filters are carbon and a lime based powder.

Both are, once saturated, used in production of building materials... breeze block type rhings. The toxins are held in a non-leaching manner after a treatment process (I'm not familiar with the details).

Similar with the ash, which becomes breezeblocks.

Incidentally That Rifle could kill you at 6 miles through 9 breezeblocks.

True fact.

Once upon a time it was thought that homes would have nuclear heating. Imagine that - putting Uranium pellets on the 'fire' and using control rods to control the output.

Added bonus - you glow in the dark.
Well that kill the tourism industry in Wales, no more come home to a real fire

I lit our fire this morning, no logs but kindling and those "Smokeless" briquette things.

All I can say is that they are crap. Difficult to light, minimal amount of heat given out, I have a fan on top of the log burner, normally it starts going after about half an hour, the fire has been going for nearly 2 hours and it's still not moved.
I won't be buying those briquettes again that's for sure.
The Heat logs you can get from B&M are good though, they give out enormous amounts of heat and light rather easily.

I did a couple of tours in Kosovo (Obilić) based next to a lignite burning power station, when it was snowing in the winter - the snow would be black with all the 'soot' particles that the power station produced - and that was over a mile away. I can imagine people that live their all their lives have various health problems and lung related diseases.

I did a couple of tours in Kosovo (Obilić) based next to a lignite burning power station, when it was snowing in the winter - the snow would be black with all the 'soot' particles that the power station produced - and that was over a mile away. I can imagine people that live their all their lives have various health problems and lung related diseases.

They're not subject to EU standards.... like the Chinese and Indians aren't. Nor the Russians. Nor Americans.

They're not subject to EU standards.... like the Chinese and Indians aren't. Nor the Russians. Nor Americans.
Nobody said they were - the point I was making is that lignite is a very dirty fuel - and the Germans are going on being green - when they produce the largest amount of this fuel in the world.....that fuel gets burned and ends up in the atmosphere......they are hypocrites.

Nobody said they were - the point I was making is that lignite is a very dirty fuel - and the Germans are going on being green - when they produce the largest amount of this fuel in the world.....that fuel gets burned and ends up in the atmosphere......they are hypocrites.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.

Latest Threads