BAN IT ! Then we'll all be safe......or not

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cutaway, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Yes, we are now significantly less at risk from being shot

2. Yes, no-one should be allowed to own a firearm

3. No, the ban has had no significant effect on firearms crime

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Following up on the thread about our police forces being routinely armed, what do you think of the current 'Banning Culture' ?

After the Dunblane tragedy private ownership of handguns was so severely limited as to make it a de facto ban. All in the interests of public safety of course.

A Labour MP is on record as saying that 'now the Govt has banned handguns we have made the streets a safer place.'

So all these reports we read in various newspapers and red top comics about increase in gun crime is a complete pack of lies.

Should (or can) these journos be nicked for scare-mongering ? They're obviously lying to us. I mean, the government wouldn't tell us porkies, would they...... ?
  2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

More people died in 1995 by swallowing light bulbs than died at the recieving end of a round from a legally owned firearm

The ban is a farce, the legislation is a farce.

The only thing the handgun ban did was further reduce Britains chance of Olympic medals.

If Hamilton / Ryan would have killed all those people with a double decker bus would there have been an outcry for the banning of public transport?

Utter Bollox! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  3. Remember the "Devil-dog" scare of the early nineties? when the redtops stampeded the government into banning five or six breeds of dawg because packs of these fiends were roaming Britain dismembering any toddlers that fell into their slavering jaws? same sh1t, I'm afraid. :roll:
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Hmmmm, less than five minutes after being posted there's a vote that no-one should be allowed to own a firearm......but no post......therefore no name.

Unable to back up your point of view ?
  5. Doesn't change the FACT that the two worst atrocities carried out on UK streets were carried out with legally held firearms. Just because not enough is done to deal with illegal firearms does not mean that the ban on handguns and semi-automatic weapons is unjustified.

I can see a use for a shotgun for a farmer but nobody else.
  6. gisa chance - two finger typer!
  7. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Is that your argument?

What about the thousands of Shooters up and down the country who competed at international / national / county level?

The errors regarding Ryan / Hamilton where errors made by the police, neither should ever have been granted a firearms certificate.

You say you see no reason for anyone to own a firearm, why does there need to be a reason? How many are killed by drink driving? do you see a ban on alcohol or driving?
  8. If I remember rightly, one of the contributing factors to the Dunblane tragedy was a failure by the police to follow the existing system of checks when they granted Hamilton a firearms license. There was plenty of evidence to suggest that the guy shouldn't of been trusted with anything more lethal than a spud gun, but plod failed to even see the dots, let alone connect them.
    (you stole my thunder, PG)
  9. yep, lots of speculation that Hamilton and the Chief constable were in the same Masonic lodge together, and he was never charged with his failure to revokeHamiltons ticket after numerous requests by disturbed friends and members of various shooting clubs in the area
  10. If they hadn't of banned them, I would of bought myself a piece by now. Apart from anything else, the voices are constantly urging me to cleanse Satan's spawn from the streets of Portsmouth in preparation for the secod coming of The Lord.. gibber, click, whirrr 8O
  11. What about the shooters?

OK - the coppers made a mistake, now there's less chance of that now that they are looking after fewer licences.

At least with a car most people can do something useful - farmers can shoot vermin. There's bog all other important use for a firearm.
  12. ............okay this to add for MikeMcc, who perhaps can follow the links.

Ps you're looking for the Statistics bit Mike............
  13. Can the same be said for

Shot put

How many sports can be considered usless, but if people compete and its a sport in which over 50 million people worldwide compete in, with far less deaths than Football, Formula 1 etc who are we to ban it

Are you saying that if something is considered to have bog all use it should be banned?

Mikecc I assume you are out for a bite rather than have a genuine argument. If thats the basis of your argument then its flawed before you present it
  14. Shooters are an easily identifyable minority. The govt chooses to target (no pun) them because they are licenced and therefore very easy to get hold of. It would be nice to see some figures for the number of crimes comitted with legaly owned handguns vs illegally owned ones. The initial ban on handguns after Dunblane was a knee-jerk reaction so typical of this govt. Something goes wrong so attack the most easily blamed group. Unfortunatly those who were born outside of the UK cannot be blamed or affiliated with any crimes for fear of upsetting the minorities or the "Comission for Racial Equality"