BAN IT ! Then we'll all be safe......or not

Has banning handguns made the public significantly safer ?

• Yes, we are now significantly less at risk from being shot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, no-one should be allowed to own a firearm

• No, the ban has had no significant effect on firearms crime

• Total voters

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Following up on the thread about our police forces being routinely armed, what do you think of the current 'Banning Culture' ?

After the Dunblane tragedy private ownership of handguns was so severely limited as to make it a de facto ban. All in the interests of public safety of course.

A Labour MP is on record as saying that 'now the Govt has banned handguns we have made the streets a safer place.'

So all these reports we read in various newspapers and red top comics about increase in gun crime is a complete pack of lies.

Should (or can) these journos be nicked for scare-mongering ? They're obviously lying to us. I mean, the government wouldn't tell us porkies, would they...... ?

More people died in 1995 by swallowing light bulbs than died at the recieving end of a round from a legally owned firearm

The ban is a farce, the legislation is a farce.

The only thing the handgun ban did was further reduce Britains chance of Olympic medals.

If Hamilton / Ryan would have killed all those people with a double decker bus would there have been an outcry for the banning of public transport?

Utter Bollox! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Remember the "Devil-dog" scare of the early nineties? when the redtops stampeded the government into banning five or six breeds of dawg because packs of these fiends were roaming Britain dismembering any toddlers that fell into their slavering jaws? same sh1t, I'm afraid. :roll:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hmmmm, less than five minutes after being posted there's a vote that no-one should be allowed to own a firearm......but no post......therefore no name.

Unable to back up your point of view ?

Doesn't change the FACT that the two worst atrocities carried out on UK streets were carried out with legally held firearms. Just because not enough is done to deal with illegal firearms does not mean that the ban on handguns and semi-automatic weapons is unjustified.

I can see a use for a shotgun for a farmer but nobody else.

Cutaway said:
Hmmmm, less than five minutes after being posted there's a vote that no-one should be allowed to own a firearm......but no post......therefore no name.

Unable to back up your point of view ?
gisa chance - two finger typer!

Is that your argument?

What about the thousands of Shooters up and down the country who competed at international / national / county level?

The errors regarding Ryan / Hamilton where errors made by the police, neither should ever have been granted a firearms certificate.

You say you see no reason for anyone to own a firearm, why does there need to be a reason? How many are killed by drink driving? do you see a ban on alcohol or driving?

If I remember rightly, one of the contributing factors to the Dunblane tragedy was a failure by the police to follow the existing system of checks when they granted Hamilton a firearms license. There was plenty of evidence to suggest that the guy shouldn't of been trusted with anything more lethal than a spud gun, but plod failed to even see the dots, let alone connect them.
(you stole my thunder, PG)

yep, lots of speculation that Hamilton and the Chief constable were in the same Masonic lodge together, and he was never charged with his failure to revokeHamiltons ticket after numerous requests by disturbed friends and members of various shooting clubs in the area

If they hadn't of banned them, I would of bought myself a piece by now. Apart from anything else, the voices are constantly urging me to cleanse Satan's spawn from the streets of Portsmouth in preparation for the secod coming of The Lord.. gibber, click, whirrr 8O

Porridge_gun said:
Is that your argument?

What about the thousands of Shooters up and down the country who competed at international / national / county level?

The errors regarding Ryan / Hamilton where errors made by the police, neither should ever have been granted a firearms certificate.

You say you see no reason for anyone to own a firearm, why does there need to be a reason? How many are killed by drink driving? do you see a ban on alcohol or driving?
What about the shooters?

OK - the coppers made a mistake, now there's less chance of that now that they are looking after fewer licences.

At least with a car most people can do something useful - farmers can shoot vermin. There's bog all other important use for a firearm.

Can the same be said for

Archery
Javelien
Shot put

How many sports can be considered usless, but if people compete and its a sport in which over 50 million people worldwide compete in, with far less deaths than Football, Formula 1 etc who are we to ban it

Are you saying that if something is considered to have bog all use it should be banned?

Mikecc I assume you are out for a bite rather than have a genuine argument. If thats the basis of your argument then its flawed before you present it

Shooters are an easily identifyable minority. The govt chooses to target (no pun) them because they are licenced and therefore very easy to get hold of. It would be nice to see some figures for the number of crimes comitted with legaly owned handguns vs illegally owned ones. The initial ban on handguns after Dunblane was a knee-jerk reaction so typical of this govt. Something goes wrong so attack the most easily blamed group. Unfortunatly those who were born outside of the UK cannot be blamed or affiliated with any crimes for fear of upsetting the minorities or the "Comission for Racial Equality"

There are very very few crimes carried out by legally owned firearms, in fact the figures are negligable

The vetting procedure although could be improvd on was generally quite good.

Your average shooter isn't a 'dressing up in comats' kind of guy, but a sportsman or a casual shooter enjoying his hobby / pastime like Bob the angler enjoys fishing or Trevor the trekker likes wandering round the hills.

Firearms should only be available to those with a 'genuine' reason to own, i.e Gun club member, farmer etc. If its your hobby etc you shouldnt have a problem joining a club etc

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
MikeMcc said:

OK - the coppers made a mistake, now there's less chance of that now that they are looking after fewer licences.

At least with a car most people can do something useful - farmers can shoot vermin. There's bog all other important use for a firearm.
OK the coppers make a mistake and we blame......those not involved ! Amazing - you don't write for the Mirror do you ?

With reference to farmers shooting vermin, a shotgun is only the correct tool for the job in certain cases. Often rifles - and yes even rifles with the capability for rapid follow up shots - are better for the purpose.

MikeMcc, it's great you're putting your point accross, but you are misinformed, or more likely dis-informed, the failure to recind Hamilton's FAC wasn't due to any oversight or lack of action by the police, but was a deliberate decision.

The Chief Constable responsible claimed that he had not seen a (thirty page !) report by one of his officers asking that the authority to possess firearms be withdrawn. Later another PC, who if he is still in the job is in all likelihood still a Constable, showed the press the CC's signature for receipt of said report. Was the CC prosecuted ? No. Was he removed from his post ? No. Did he continue in his well paid job and can draw on a not insignificant pension ? Yes.

Something is rotten in the state of the United Kingdom. (Apologies to Bill)

By the way, I'm also a two fingered typist :)

manchestermonkey said:
Firearms should only be available to those with a 'genuine' reason to own, i.e Gun club member, farmer etc. If its your hobby etc you shouldnt have a problem joining a club etc
It was a cockup how it was done. Black-powder pistols didn't get banned, so you can legally hold a Colt .45, as designed to kill people; but 0.22 single-shot target pistols as designed to put holes in paper, and used in the Olympics / Commonwealth Games, were banned.

Still, the 0.22 pistol boys are now back in business in mainland UK. Several of the target pistol manufacturers have started making "longarms", where the pistol is fitted with rails for balance weights that run backwards instead of forwards, and take their length beyond the UK Act definition of "pistol", while remaining legal for ISSF free-pistol events.

My only worry was civilians training to kill people (i.e. Fig.11 targets, not bullseyes), and having pistols designed to do it. I don't mind target sports; but I did worry about the "practical" events. Fun, but worrying.....

Having said all of this, the wife and I have four rifles and authority to hold about 10,000 rounds of 0.22RF. Our local police force is very understanding :)

Firearms were only available to club members and farmers or people with their permission. It was club members who warned about Hamilton yet a combination of police incompetance and interference by politicians (some of whom were first to call for the ban) let him be granted a new FAC.

The ban was merely a simple bit of misdirected revenge and had very little to do with logical lawmaking. The logical thing to do would have been to prevent handguns and ammunition being kept at home and restrict them to clubs and legitimate competitions.

It's all knee-jerk crap, look at the recent ban on Brocock air-cartridge guns because plod claimed that they were being converted and used in crime. This is despite their being specifically designed to prevent them firing live ammo. If you could convert a BAC revolver to fire live ammo you could probably build a whole new gun.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flip_Flop_the_Gog The Intelligence Cell 42
Good CO The Intelligence Cell 4
F The Intelligence Cell 22