Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ban head‑punch bouts, Paras major demands

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm actually surprised that boxing has not been made illegal. Two grown men trying to render one another senseless as a 'sport' and for entertainment? Ridiculous.

More boxers have been killed through the sport since gloves came in than prior.

I certainly did it Hendon. I think that the Met police rationale was different from that of Paras. With the Paras it was to show determination and aggression. With the Met it was to get the recruit used to the idea of taking a punch. They were likely to encounter violent situations and many recruits had probably never been involved in a punch up.

Either way, it's probably best consigned to history. Even footballers are getting early onset dementia just by heading a ball. I'm actually surprised that boxing has not been made illegal. Two grown men trying to render one another senseless as a 'sport' and for entertainment? Ridiculous.

First bold
Milling lasts for about a minute, with gum shield, gloves and headguard, then you can get on with your life, its not a contant battering for the rest of your life.
Second bold
Im sure all the multi millionaire boxers dont find it so ridiculous.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yep, the "movers" at Brize can certainly make everyone in a large room wish they were dead.

Indeed...but I was referring to ‘brain agent’ :)

(Much the same effect though!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snip.
Either way, it's probably best consigned to history. Even footballers are getting early onset dementia just by heading a ball. I'm actually surprised that boxing has not been made illegal. Two grown men trying to render one another senseless as a 'sport' and for entertainment? Ridiculous.

I read an opinion piece some time ago, (BMJ? Can’t remember exactly.) the gist of which was, ‘look at what was acceptable to society fifty to one hundred years ago and then risk a prediction for the future. In the future robot surgeons will carry out all human surgery and we will look back on today with horror and disgust that one human was allowed to cut another. We look back at the barber-surgeons of the past with horror nowadays...’

I feel something similar will happen eventually where the 22nd century soldier will look back with a mix of horror and pride at what we went through in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

(For the record two PTI refereed fights, one lost as much dignity as blood (a lot!) and the other an honourable draw.)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's not permitted to walk away with a massive win.
You need to know what a hiding feels like.

I had a mate who did AAPC he had to do it three times because he was destroying the poor fuckers who faced him. He said he got off quite lightly. He was a gorilla, a boxer and used to run around with the ICF in his youth so it wasnt exactly a fair fight(s),

This is how I remember milling, but without head protection (probably explains a lot). Never had a real fight before this, and it defined my future drunken windmill fighting style.

I imagine I looked something like the fellow at 3:08, and probably every following episode of fisticuffs I was ever involved in.

The_Duke

LE
The lad that got splattered did not lack courage, but did lack aggression.
He was just going through the motions, didnt really want to smash the **** out of his opponent.
Consequently , he lost.
I would say more likely that he was in a state of shock after the first few seconds, outclassed and just doing his best to hold on. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to - he just wasn’t capable of smashing anything once the first few blows landed.

However, he got up every time he got put down and kept going back into the centre.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I certainly did it Hendon. I think that the Met police rationale was different from that of Paras. With the Paras it was to show determination and aggression. With the Met it was to get the recruit used to the idea of taking a punch. They were likely to encounter violent situations and many recruits had probably never been involved in a punch up.

It's only best consigned to history if the Police no longer encounter violent situations. The only way to be prepared for being hit hard is to be hit hard and that experience is best acquired in a controlled environment rather than in a real situation. This isn't a hankering for 'the good old days' - if there's a better/safer way of acclimatisation, fine, otherwise violence needs to be understood and experienced in the old fashioned way.

In my view there's no intellectual way to prepare for the suddenness and shock of physical violence, much less developing the capability to move beyond it instantly and still function intelligently and effectively.

It's only best consigned to history if the Police no longer encounter violent situations. The only way to be prepared for being hit hard is to be hit hard and that experience is best acquired in a controlled environment rather than in a real situation. This isn't a hankering for 'the good old days' - if there's a better/safer way of acclimatisation, fine, otherwise violence needs to be understood and experienced in the old fashioned way.

In my view there's no intellectual way to prepare for the suddenness and shock of physical violence, much less developing the capability to move beyond it instantly and still function intelligently and effectively.
Even Mike Tyson said the best plan goes out the window once you get punched in the face.

It's only best consigned to history if the Police no longer encounter violent situations.

I rather think that events have already overtaken us. I doubt if milling has been a part of the Met recruits' PT curriculum for many years. Similarly the log race etc.

Looking at the tiny campus that is now Hendon Police College, I doubt if there exist the facilities to do very much of anything physical.

I would say more likely that he was in a state of shock after the first few seconds, outclassed and just doing his best to hold on. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to - he just wasn’t capable of smashing anything once the first few blows landed.

However, he got up every time he got put down and kept going back into the centre.

Thats why I said he didnt lack courage.
He kept on getting up and having another go.
Watch it again, look at the continual head back and up, body leaning back, arms flailing uselessly.
(I couldn't box for shit, wasn't really interested in learning boxing, but I had to learn how to scrap due to 70's boarding school.)
He is probably very good military material ; not sure he can do vicious when required.

Latest Threads