Ban head‑punch bouts, Paras major demands

35 knot wind? I thought the limit was 13 knots.
15 knots ISTR.
I was later told that a senior officer had brought his lady friend to see some parachuting and so it went ahead, despite the wind 'gusting'. I was in the first of several simultaneous sticks of 5, someone else in that stick broke their arm/collar bone and further parachuting was then scrubbed. I don't know how much of that is correct, I was in La La Land or CMH.

Milling is preparation for the abuse that follows.

15 knots ISTR.
I was later told that a senior officer had brought his lady friend to see some parachuting and so it went ahead, despite the wind 'gusting'. I was in the first of several simultaneous sticks of 5, someone else in that stick broke their arm/collar bone and further parachuting was then scrubbed. I don't know how much of that is correct, I was in La La Land or CMH.

Milling is preparation for the abuse that follows.
13 knots in daylight, 10 knots at night I remember.

I beg to differ.
Absolutely spot on. I was 'paired' against a right hard little bastard during training at Peninsula barracks. I was shitting myself and as he came towards me I closed my eyes and stuck out my fisted right arm. He apparantly walked right into it with perfect timing and kocked himself out............nobody bothered me after that. :cool:

Excellent, plenty of blood and snot as well, I trust ?
I fought a Cpl in The PWRR, who wanted to fight a Monkey. I was 70kg, he was 75 kg, so within the 5 kg grouping. A draw at the end, happy with that.

Went to The RMP Sgt’s Mess in Catterick that night looking like a panda.

I don't argue or fight with my Korean wife. Its too dangerous. And she doesn't need to practise Tae Kwon Do.
:) I can seriously believe it.

I don't know if the paras have a different system now, but when I did boxing anyone getting sparked out wasn't allowed to box again for 4 or 6 weeks (i cant remember which). I was told it's army policy.
Not so safety conscious back then, ended up unconscious playing rugby (two of us diving for a loose ball, head to head) was out for around 4 minutes. Both of us had a night of observation in the Sennelager med centre, and both back playing on the weekend (two days later).

I take it nobody has ever joined the Army with a boxing or martial arts background. Does 3 PARA have a boxing team? You get more punches to the head on a P Company 10 miler, or the log race than in a milling bout.
3 PARA? Well Im reliably informed You'll get battered around the ring.. Not sure about boxing though... :oops: ;)

We had milling on RoCo.

Everyone had a go.

But there was an odd number.

So the o/Cdt thought by the DS to most deserve a good seeing to went twice.

Yep. Me.

Did ok though :)

Oyibo

LE
I did milling three times on various courses, none of them P Coy. The last time, as a concession to H&S they made me take my contact lenses out. Being utterly unable to see my opponent (a Cpl from some Irish bunch I learned later as we sat in an OP for 48hrs with no food) I got an absolute leathering much to the amusement of the DS and everyone else.
Three times for me as well - first time P Coy (draw); second time very probably the same course you mentioned (massive win); third time same course, same evening, had to do a second bout against a human cannonball (lose)!

Hexi Bloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
I beg to differ.
Thats correct, we milled in basic try back in 1977, no gum shield and no headguards. We often used milling as part of pre-trg for N.I. It may well be unique to the PARA Regt now but that wasn't the case in the past.

Makes you wonder what they’ll replace that test with in P Coy. I’m sure some of you have some suggestions...
They'll replace it with a 500 word essay on what makes a good paratrooper ….
Or a f*cking powerpoint along the same lines .

I certainly did it Hendon. I think that the Met police rationale was different from that of Paras. With the Paras it was to show determination and aggression. With the Met it was to get the recruit used to the idea of taking a punch. They were likely to encounter violent situations and many recruits had probably never been involved in a punch up.

Either way, it's probably best consigned to history. Even footballers are getting early onset dementia just by heading a ball. I'm actually surprised that boxing has not been made illegal. Two grown men trying to render one another senseless as a 'sport' and for entertainment? Ridiculous.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Three times for me as well - first time P Coy (draw); second time very probably the same course you mentioned (massive win); third time same course, same evening, had to do a second bout against a human cannonball (lose)!
It's not permitted to walk away with a massive win.
You need to know what a hiding feels like.

Latest Threads