Ban head‑punch bouts, Paras major demands

if you stop the punches to the head in training then it will improve the results in the spelling tests later shirley?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
if you stop the punches to the head in training then it will improve the results in the spelling tests later shirley?
For how long were you milling ?

obviously the "shirley" bit passed you by?
surprising really as it's a long running joke from an American film.

Milling is unique to P Company & 2 minutes of controlled aggression.
They even have head guards these days, only time you get to punch as officer & get away with it.
Shows aggression, stamina & the ability to follow orders.
Part and parcel of basic across the board when I was in, regardless of Regiment, or Corps (maybe not WRAC and QARANC, well maybe WRAC).

Medically, boxing is a "bad thing" carrying the risk of acute and cumulative brain injury, pretty much any doctor is going to say you should avoid getting punched in the head...

In addition it isn't clear that the available mitigation measures (gloves and headgear) are actually effective when it comes to either brain trauma or accruing long term injury. Last Olympics was fought without helmets for this reason. Any risk manager is going to feel nervous with allowing a "bad thing" where there isn't a standard agreed risk mitigation measure

The Airborne though do need some kind of test that allows them to assess aggression and, determination.

The alternatives in terms of other fighting styles aren't risk free either, it would be ironic if they replaced milling with grappling and someone got strangled to death or skull fractured when they landed on their head...

In any case, terms of losing recruits to injury, the real risk appears to be walking around carrying your kit in your issue footwear...

Milling is hardly boxing, more reminiscent of the the drunken scenes outside the Traf on a Friday night.
I got sparked out at about second 14. Had to repeat next day.

Last edited:
Maj Fox, decent bloke, his girlfriend is a ex MMA fighter, so maybe this is where his point of view os from.
TBI, I suspect everyone who was born before generation snowflake has had one, just like heading a football, getting concussed in rugby, chipping a nail in tennis and loosing your teeth playing holey with the girls.

If your concerned about TBI in milling I suggest you should not try military parachuting.

I beg to differ.
Me too. I did it on my Regimental Proficiency Certificate Class 1 for Sgt. and I was RAOC, standard practice on the RPC1 at Bracht, big gloves, no head protection.

Nothing controlled about it, just two blokes swinging at each other in the gym. I was told by Robbo I would be charged if I did any Jap Slapping, so I played the game, passed the course and got my third tape.

IMHO the would be better off teaching a decent martial art a couple of mornings a week for an hour a time. The Koreans, Japs and Choggies do, my lads Tae Kwon Do Bloke was a Major in the Korean SF, he holds a 7th Dan and though he is only 5'6" I would not argue with him or any of his other Korean lads. All ranks would earn a Black Belt after 3 years and it would certainly make pub fights with local yobbos more interesting.

Medically, boxing is a "bad thing" carrying the risk of acute and cumulative brain injury, pretty much any doctor is going to say you should avoid getting punched in the head...
Reminds me of the reported quote from a ex world champ called Pastrano, after he lost title on a TKO, the ringside doctor came to assess him, doctor asked if he knew where he was, Pastrano's reply being "You're damn right I know where I am! I'm in Madison Square Garden getting the shit kicked out of me!"

Milling and Boxing are two very different things.

If you take up boxing, your head is going to receive a substantial number of punches, even when sparring, let alone competition bouts. This , over a period of as many years as you choose to do it, makes perfect sense to wear head protection.

Milling lasts for two minutes, in a lifetime.
It is a test to see if the individual can switch on massive aggression, even while sustaining the same, and then switch it off again, instantly, on command.

It has to be savage, brutal, painful and bloody. Otherwise, its not a test.

Maj Fox, decent bloke, his girlfriend is a ex MMA fighter, so maybe this is where his point of view os from.
TBI, I suspect everyone who was born before generation snowflake has had one, just like heading a football, getting concussed in rugby, chipping a nail in tennis and loosing your teeth playing holey with the girls.

If your concerned about TBI in milling I suggest you should not try military parachuting.
Maybe she slaps him around? BBS = battered boyfriend syndrome.

par avion

War Hero
Part and parcel of basic across the board when I was in, regardless of Regiment, or Corps (maybe not WRAC and QARANC, well maybe WRAC).
I once saw a big dyke deliver a perfect right hook in Mill Hill to her two timing girlfriend who had apparently been munching another ladys rug without BDs knowledge. Floored her with a punch Tyson would have been proud of.

One of the WRAC girls in Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn beat up the Orderly Sergeant apparently.

There used to be fights between the local Irish girls and WRACs in the Naafi during the Discos. The local girls would phone up the WRAC girls manning the switch board from 233 Sig Sqn and tell them that they would be coming up to the disco to sort them out.

One of life's early lessons learn't. Don't fight with a women.

par avion

War Hero
Me too. I did it on my Regimental Proficiency Certificate Class 1 for Sgt. and I was RAOC, standard practice on the RPC1 at Bracht, big gloves, no head protection.

Nothing controlled about it, just two blokes swinging at each other in the gym. I was told by Robbo I would be charged if I did any Jap Slapping, so I played the game, passed the course and got my third tape.

IMHO the would be better off teaching a decent martial art a couple of mornings a week for an hour a time. The Koreans, Japs and Choggies do, my lads Tae Kwon Do Bloke was a Major in the Korean SF, he holds a 7th Dan and though he is only 5'6" I would not argue with him or any of his other Korean lads. All ranks would earn a Black Belt after 3 years and it would certainly make pub fights with local yobbos more interesting.
I don't argue or fight with my Korean wife. Its too dangerous. And she doesn't need to practise Tae Kwon Do.

I once saw a big dyke deliver a perfect right hook in Mill Hill to her two timing girlfriend who had apparently been munching another ladys rug without BDs knowledge. Floored her with a punch Tyson would have been proud of.

One of the WRAC girls in Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn beat up the Orderly Sergeant apparently.

There used to be fights between the local Irish girls and WRACs in the Naafi during the Discos. The local girls would phone up the WRAC girls manning the switch board from 233 Sig Sqn and tell them that they would be coming up to the disco to sort them out.

One of life's early lessons learn't. Don't fight with a women.
Talk about 'blue on blue'. Those GSMs were hard-earned you know.

par avion

War Hero
Milling didn't do me much harm.....

...compared to being dropped out of a C130 in a 35 knot wind and hitting the ground hard enough to bend a GPMG barrel, wreck my A-frame (steel frame) Bergen and plough a groove in the DZ with my steel helmet. Strangely, I remember very little about the incident, besides looking down to assess my drift, seeing Hampshire passing below in a blur and remarking aloud "Fcuk me!". Which, as it transpired, was a very accurate assessment.
35 knot wind? I thought the limit was 13 knots.Your mob must have upset the crabs big style. No wonder you kept ending up in trees and making big holes in the DZ.

I once saw a big dyke deliver a perfect right hook in Mill Hill
Usually delivered to an unsuspecting Sapper fresh from Gib, at his first NAAFI bop!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The Met used to do it as well.
I doubt they still do.
Yes but they use to say has any one done boxing before?
Now been an ex squaddie I did the right thing and kept very quiet.
Fifteen minutes or so later and it was my turn, now I’m no Spider, I don’t class myself as the next opponent for Joshua but I was in the Battalion boxing team.
My opponent that fateful day had it easy, first punch, poor bastard ran straight at me I stuck out a bloody good well timed jab which landed right on the bridge of his nose, blood everywhere and he was down.
Well I never, the scream of panic in the PE instructor “YOU SAID YOU HADNT DONE BOXING BEFORE”.
”I didn‘t” said I, he ran into my punch, taking my gloves off and asking how my opponent was who just looked at me with a quizzical expression.
Easiest gym session I think I ever attended.

Latest Threads