• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Ballymurphy Massacre Anniversary

I appreciate some have never heard of the incident but the families have been campaigning about it for decades. It is not new. The media attention around 'Bloody Sunday' always over shadowed it though.

Nice to hear it's a clean place nowadays. It used to smell of piss and dog shit, like the rest of W. Belfast I knew. Creepy place back then and it was a snipers paradise because of the the way it was built.
Well said, I personally have been aware of killings in Ballymurphy since the early 70's when I did my first tour there. I had some interestting conversagtions with one or two of the RUC guys about them in fact. I also heard various tales from the locals when doing house-checks and searches. Over the following years I heard more about what allegedly happened and yes, it has always been overshadowed by Blood Sunday.

One thing that stood out for me was the alleged execution of an injured man. The eyewitness quoted the soldier who carried this out as saying "Fuċk up, you ċunt!" as he shot him. Now, I have only ever heard one person say "fuċk up" when he meant "shut the fuċk up", and he was from Belfast. So, if I'm right and this is a turn of phrase that is only used by the locals, then it suggests that either the witness doesn't remember what happened as clearly as we are led to believe, or it was made up.
Presumably the 9mm bullet hole in the dead man's head as noted by the Coroner was made up too?

In the aftermath of Bloody Sunday, and later, I remember some of the more cerebrally-challenged young squaddies I knew opining that most of the dead bodies were IRA gunmen who'd been shot in gun-battles long before BS, and were all dragged out to discredit the Para's. Judging by one or two posts on this thread we'e not too far from going down that deranged road again with Ballymurphy.

Last edited:
Nice to hear it's a clean place nowadays. It used to smell of piss and dog shit, like the rest of W. Belfast I knew. Creepy place back then and it was a snipers paradise because of the the way it was built.
How inconsiderate of them. Can you name any housing estates in the UK that were built to be less sniper friendly?

The policy in this country as developed and enshrined by Blair government is to give terrorists what they want and they will go away. Moronic tv programmes of this nature is the classic result. I really hope Theresa May does not react in the same way. Rest assured Corbyn would. There is a new generation of milennials hitting the voting register. A sure fire way of counteracting this would be to have a tv programme about what Ballymurphy was like at the time with small children being taught to hate Soldiers and that it is a good thing to throw petrol bombs. We could even go down the route that young local girls were "broken in" by a visiting "Uncle". We could especially go down the route of all the lives that were saved by the British Army. Just a few miserable thoughts from someone who has seen all sides.

It’s quite easy to mistake a female house guest’s invitation, “you must come round to our place next week” for, “you must come on my face when I’m asleep”.
Simple error.
Considering the state of his missus I'm not surprised he resorted to surprise bukkake-ing unsuspecting houseguests.

Poor ****.

tbf GFA had majors support and his government did a lot of the legwork and letting scum out of jail in exchange for reducing to the annual toll of corpses to single figures and Ni becoming almost normal but we could have always carried on with the plan of having martin and gerry dead on a pile of dead terrorists :rolleyes: which unfortunately was never going to happen.

ugly

LE
tbf GFA had majors support and his government did a lot of the legwork and letting scum out of jail in exchange for reducing to the annual toll of corpses to single figures and Ni becoming almost normal but we could have always carried on with the plan of having martin and gerry dead on a pile of dead terrorists :rolleyes: which unfortunately was never going to happen.
The GFA worked because the PIRA was beaten in the field. The Army wasn't there to do anything other than the politicians bidding.

but they didn't have to give up as long as they had weapons they could keep the conflict going and as long as they did the prods could continue so round and round it goes

ugly

LE
but they didn't have to give up as long as they had weapons they could keep the conflict going and as long as they did the prods could continue so round and round it goes
Indeed but they had run out of steam, the politicians wanted it to end and therefore the system was at the point where it could end. Giving the paramilitaries sweetners is usually how this is made to happen. The Army did a great job in very difficult circumstances

Kill our two best agents??:)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The supply of money was drying up too, when the USA had the first terrorist attack in history on 11/09.

The supply of money was drying up too, when the USA had the first terrorist attack in history on 11/09.

^ This ^

I remember seeing an interview with one of the old boyos who said as soon as the towers tumbled he knew the 'fight' using violence was over. Cash from NA dried up over night.

On the GFA & the early peace process, as far as i know Major didn't countenance any sort of deal for free passes for the convicted & on the run. I think history shows that this was solely a Blair govt agenda due in no small part to Mo Mowlam's way of doing things. She laid the foundations of that particular side of the deal & Labour sealed it.

IMO John Major as the key political factor in the early movement towards peace in NI is overlooked & unfairly so. For his other faults, his achievements in bringing PIRA/SF to the table deserve much more.