Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ballymurphy Massacre Anniversary

Gus216

Crow
For what it worth I was there, very very biased, we wore smocks and not DPM, and oh those berets - how embarrassing... they cannot even get the detail right so no chance for the truth...

Some great shots with "that rifle":eek::eek:

By the cameramen or the Paras?

Uncomfortable viewing, IMHO.

One thing that stood out for me was the alleged execution of an injured man. The eyewitness quoted the soldier who carried this out as saying "Fuċk up, you ċunt!" as he shot him. Now, I have only ever heard one person say "fuċk up" when he meant "shut the fuċk up", and he was from Belfast. So, if I'm right and this is a turn of phrase that is only used by the locals, then it suggests that either the witness doesn't remember what happened as clearly as we are led to believe, or it was made up.

Possibly made up or possibly just mis-remembered after nearly half a century and numerous re-tellings. They also said the dead man had a 9mm bullet in his head which, if that is true, does lend some credibility to the rest of the account. What circumstances would explain a uniformed soldier using a pistol in that situation?

The ex-RGJ man made a comment to the effect that if events in Ballymurphy had been looked into, Bloody Sunday may not have happened. That works both ways, though. The IRA probably felt they'd missed out and made preparations for similar events on Bloody Sunday.

One thing that stood out for me was the alleged execution of an injured man. The eyewitness quoted the soldier who carried this out as saying "Fuċk up, you ċunt!" as he shot him. Now, I have only ever heard one person say "fuċk up" when he meant "shut the fuċk up", and he was from Belfast. So, if I'm right and this is a turn of phrase that is only used by the locals, then it suggests that either the witness doesn't remember what happened as clearly as we are led to believe, or it was made up.

'**** up' crosses my lips often and I'm most definitely not Irish. It can be heard frequently in Scotland.

'**** up' crosses my lips often and I'm most definitely not Irish. It can be heard frequently in Scotland.

It's very much NORTHERN Irish patois, but equally as you correctly mention, in Scotland, more particularly the Glasgow region. Ulster Scots infected the Bann Valley and so it began.......
Very common in my school playground in lieu of "shut up!" usually spat out to emphasise the invective intent.

Heard it in the mid 70's.

Certainly in use in the '70s and '80s, used occasionally now on Arrse.

When Onetap Junior was in school, one of the Army Careers teams visited and he'd been briefed on what he should ask them.

At the end of the presentation, they invited questions from the audience.

OT Junior put his hand up and innocently asked; " Are you a hat?"

It wasn't well received, they had him running around the playground.

I nearly burst a blood vessel laughing when he told me.

9 Ballymurphy taigs dead. No loss to the world. 90 would have killed "the troubles"stone dead.
Oh dear. The lessons have not been learned.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh dear. The lessons have not been learned.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

The late David Ervine also same the same passage around the time of the Good Friday Agreement.

Latest Threads