Bally heroes wanted to volunteer for important mission (physical infirmities ok, but no Mittys)

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
A few times a year I volunteer at the IWM in Duxford to talk to families and school parties about my experiences as a steely-eyed dealer of death. The programme, called We Were There: Ask Questions about Conflict, seeks to bring first hand experience of military service/conflict to a wider audience and is run at all IWM sites (Manchester, London, Duxford). The pool of volunteers is not very big, and many are in their latter years. I have been asked to seek out more volunteers to take part; I've already had some help from a couple of military charities for specific events and will be approaching them again, along with regional/regimental associations, etc. No affiliation with a charity/association is required, just the willingness to be asked questions about a variety of topics/experiences and not to swear in front of the kids (I know this will be a challenge for some). It's actually enjoyable; you get to tell your stories to people who want to listen and find out more, and it can be quite cathartic to recount some of your experiences. It's also a great way for the veteran voice to be heard by pupils (currently KS2, but expanding to KS3 next year), teachers and families who otherwise will get their understanding of military people from social media.. Travel is paid, and sandwiches/tea/biccies provided - you are also free to wander the museums (I'll check whether passes allow access on things like air display days).

If anyone wants to find out more - PM me, yah?

1576501354468.png

One of my fellow volunteers, not me

ugly

LE
A few times a year I volunteer at the IWM in Duxford to talk to families and school parties about my experiences as a steely-eyed dealer of death. The programme, called We Were There: Ask Questions about Conflict, seeks to bring first hand experience of military service/conflict to a wider audience and is run at all IWM sites (Manchester, London, Duxford). The pool of volunteers is not very big, and many are in their latter years. I have been asked to seek out more volunteers to take part; I've already had some help from a couple of military charities for specific events and will be approaching them again, along with regional/regimental associations, etc. No affiliation with a charity/association is required, just the willingness to be asked questions about a variety of topics/experiences and not to swear in front of the kids (I know this will be a challenge for some). It's actually enjoyable; you get to tell your stories to people who want to listen and find out more, and it can be quite cathartic to recount some of your experiences. It's also a great way for the veteran voice to be heard by pupils (currently KS2, but expanding to KS3 next year), teachers and families who otherwise will get their understanding of military people from social media.. Travel is paid, and sandwiches/tea/biccies provided - you are also free to wander the museums (I'll check whether passes allow access on things like air display days).

View attachment 437337
I’ve met Napier the fibber looks older

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’ve met Napier the fibber looks older
We worked out we both served in Iraq, but him 50 years before me..

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I honestly had no idea that THAT rifle, puttees, the German Sex Industry and alcoholic excess featured in KS2.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I honestly had no idea that THAT rifle, puttees, the German Sex Industry and alcoholic excess featured in KS2.
Maybe wait until the KS3 rollout..

Can I regail tales of drunken nights, of swamping and dirty women, while I single handly kept the Russian hordes from de-flowering the virgins of the UK?

The Billings Gazette, Montana, did a very good video series. 'Vietnam Voices' Veterans telling their stories,with minimal interruption from the facilitator. Some harrowing, some boring, some funny. But most very watchable. Im sure IWM do something similar. Great way of keeping first hand witness experience for future generations.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Billings Gazette, Montana, did a very good video series. 'Vietnam Voices' Veterans telling their stories,with minimal interruption from the facilitator. Some harrowing, some boring, some funny. But most very watchable. Im sure IWM do something similar. Great way of keeping first hand witness experience for future generations.
Yup, I've already been filmed - found it quite emotional at times.

View attachment 437337
I was in the Royal Signals , it was really hard . I got two medals , it was really hard . A lot like the other Army but with more bull shit . Imagine , having to polish the inside of you black plastic mug for inspection . We even had to have ammo boots with the right number of segs? Why? I have no idea. Some bright cnunt had the idea to roll his spare bootlaces into a roll and bull them up, looked like a licorish roll ? FFS why ? then we all had to do the same. Mind I did learn to bluff like a god and had no respect for any of the young officers , who joined up under the ... Any twat can be an officer if you have a degree?

What fuccing use is an officer in the Royal Signals with a degree in fish farming or African studies. Mind both were nice looking fillies, nice set of tits on both but still as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

What fuccing use is an officer in the Royal Signals with a degree in fish farming or African studies. Mind both were nice looking fillies, nice set of tits on both but still as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
It's customary to post pictures to assess the worthiness of the tits in question

Can I regail tales of drunken nights, of swamping and dirty women, while I single handly kept the Russian hordes from de-flowering the virgins of the UK?
Swamping - so squadie!

daz

LE

daz

LE
I was in the Royal Signals , it was really hard . I got two medals , it was really hard . A lot like the other Army but with more bull shit . Imagine , having to polish the inside of you black plastic mug for inspection . We even had to have ammo boots with the right number of segs? Why? I have no idea. Some bright cnunt had the idea to roll his spare bootlaces into a roll and bull them up, looked like a licorish roll ? FFS why ? then we all had to do the same. Mind I did learn to bluff like a god and had no respect for any of the young officers , who joined up under the ... Any twat can be an officer if you have a degree?

You forgot cravats purchased from the PRI :)

Latest Threads