Ballpark number for 40mm grenades carried?

On patrol in Afghanistan. I mean the 40x46mm grenades fired from a M203 UGL. Do you guys ever carry a M79 in lieu of the M203?

Also, do you have an average number for the time it takes for a soldier to reload the M203 or M79, reacquire the target and fire again?

Thanks.

Uk forces use a HK UGL not the m203
m79 disappeared into the mists of time yonks ago

OK thanks, I didn't know that. I'm preparing a research proposal for a new weapon to replace the UGL and want to get a hard number comparison of both systems for a canonical loadout.

Does the HK UGL weigh empty about the same as the M203 (1.36kg) and use the same ~0.24kg 40x46mm grenades?

Thanks.

the HK UGL is called the AG36 by the company and fires the same 40 X 46mm low velocity round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AG36

Designer Heckler & Koch
Manufacturer Heckler & Koch
Variants AG-C, L17A1, L17A2, M320
Specifications
Weight 1.5 kg (3.31 lb)
Length 350 mm (13.8 in)
Barrel length 280 mm (11.0 in)
Width 90 mm (3.5 in)
Height 210 mm (8.3 in)

Cartridge 40x46mm grenade
Action Breech-loaded, tilting barrel
Rate of fire Single-shot
Muzzle velocity 76 m/s (249 ft/s)
Feed system Manually loaded
Sights Folding ladder sight
150 mm (5.9 in) sight radius

Not sure you'll get all the answers you're looking for here, eg. asking about reload time is a bit sensitive.

Bravo_Bravo said:
Not sure you'll get all the answers you're looking for here, eg. asking about reload time is a bit sensitive.
Thanks, I just any answers that won't violate Opsec...

I looked at this video clip and it looks like 5 seconds would be about right for the time to reload and reacquire a target with the M203.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2CDcGV5HvM

The soldier didn't look particularly rushed.

Can anyone suggest a typical number of grenades carried or would that violate Opsec?

The reload time will vary depending on if you have Parkinsons or not.

It also makes one hell of a paintball gun with training rounds.

We carried M79's in Armagh in the 70's. Must be long gone by now what with underslung launchers.

IndependentBoffin said:
OK thanks, I didn't know that. I'm preparing a research proposal for a new weapon to replace the UGL and want to get a hard number comparison of both systems for a canonical loadout.

Does the HK UGL weigh empty about the same as the M203 (1.36kg) and use the same ~0.24kg 40x46mm grenades?

Thanks.
Just to be nosey, what makes you qualified to research a replacement UGL when it is obvious from your posts you have little to no knowledge of the existing piece of kit?

lewiscollins said:
IndependentBoffin said:

Thanks.
Just to be nosey, what makes you qualified to research a replacement UGL when it is obvious from your posts you have little to no knowledge of the existing piece of kit?
I'm fairly young hence inexperienced to be my own boss. I didn't fancy working in a stuffy office for a prime defence contractor for the next 30-40 years of my life until retirement on a paltry salary producing endless reports with no real hope of making a difference on my own.

So I decided to take a risk and start my own company. I'd rather start early and have time to learn from my mistakes.

Also as a creative person why would I have any motivation to invent and patent something as an employee for a big firm when my previous employer would pay me £1000 per successfully filed patent. If Dyson sold his vacuum cleaner patent for £1000 I bet he would never forgive himself.

Oh and my background is in composite armour not weapon systems, but I'm looking to branch out into as many pies as possible, so I am coming to this field as a newcomer without any preconceived mindset ;)

So to sum everything up my practical knowledge is somewhat lacking but you nice folks help me make up for it :D

vampireuk said:
It also makes one hell of a paintball gun with training rounds.
Hell Yea, had muchas fun with that on my LFTT Cse

To be honest I think you are flogging a dead horse, the UGL is a very very good weapon.

vampireuk said:
To be honest I think you are flogging a dead horse, the UGL is a very very good weapon.
Just looking at the numbers, 45g of RDX/TNT in a typical 40mm HE grenade for a 240g grenade and a 1.5kg launcher is quite poor. The explosive payload is only 2.6% of the complete weight if 1 grenade is carried. If 20 are carried then it increases to 14%.

There must be a better option out there.