Ballpark number for 40mm grenades carried?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On patrol in Afghanistan. I mean the 40x46mm grenades fired from a M203 UGL. Do you guys ever carry a M79 in lieu of the M203?

Also, do you have an average number for the time it takes for a soldier to reload the M203 or M79, reacquire the target and fire again?

Thanks.

2. Uk forces use a HK UGL not the m203
    m79 disappeared into the mists of time yonks ago

3. OK thanks, I didn't know that. I'm preparing a research proposal for a new weapon to replace the UGL and want to get a hard number comparison of both systems for a canonical loadout.

Does the HK UGL weigh empty about the same as the M203 (1.36kg) and use the same ~0.24kg 40x46mm grenades?

Thanks.

4. the HK UGL is called the AG36 by the company and fires the same 40 X 46mm low velocity round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AG36

Designer Heckler & Koch
    Manufacturer Heckler & Koch
    Variants AG-C, L17A1, L17A2, M320
    Specifications
    Weight 1.5 kg (3.31 lb)
    Length 350 mm (13.8 in)
    Barrel length 280 mm (11.0 in)
    Width 90 mm (3.5 in)
    Height 210 mm (8.3 in)

Cartridge 40x46mm grenade
    Action Breech-loaded, tilting barrel
    Rate of fire Single-shot
    Muzzle velocity 76 m/s (249 ft/s)
    Feed system Manually loaded
    Sights Folding ladder sight
    150 mm (5.9 in) sight radius

5. Not sure you'll get all the answers you're looking for here, eg. asking about reload time is a bit sensitive.

6. Why don't you try wikipedia for your research? Your questions seem a bit bone, bit like 'I'm doing research on a proposal for a new rifle, is the SA80, 5.56mm'?

7. Thanks, I just any answers that won't violate Opsec...

I looked at this video clip and it looks like 5 seconds would be about right for the time to reload and reacquire a target with the M203.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2CDcGV5HvM

The soldier didn't look particularly rushed.

Can anyone suggest a typical number of grenades carried or would that violate Opsec?

8. The reload time will vary depending on if you have Parkinsons or not.

9. Sorry, I didn't know the HK UGL = AG36 until DrStealth said so.

10. It also makes one hell of a paintball gun with training rounds.

11. We carried M79's in Armagh in the 70's. Must be long gone by now what with underslung launchers.

12. i carried about 20 UGL rounds per patrol and could normally fire about 1 every 10 seconds

13. Cool, announce capacity to the world.

14. Just to be nosey, what makes you qualified to research a replacement UGL when it is obvious from your posts you have little to no knowledge of the existing piece of kit?