Ballistic turbans WTF!!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by pacestick, May 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PC madness outragebus

apologies if elsewhere...

please c'mon this is daft, next they'll (i'm not trying to be xenophobic or racist) be asking for dispensation for riding motorbikes... no hold on balistic turbans for the military - probably beat the MK6a :)

edit for mong spelling

2. The indian Army use a kevlar turban, lemme find a pic...

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Preparing for incoming . . .

Actually, I don't see a particular problem with their ask. The Sikhs are a 'warrior' caste, and thus, they like to get in amongst it. They have a good and honourable tradition of smashing in faces and slotting people on our behalf, and they are a nice bunch of bods too, so let's help them out with some headgear that allows them to bash skulls and shoot people.

4. don't you have to get to the point where you just say, no that's not uniform and 'elf and safety say no too? so what happens with Sikhs in our army, i take it none of them are on the frontline then - i say there must be sikhs considering the amount of f;;;ing rat packs we take with us on ops!

5. well if you put it that way, crack on.... ;)

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Some vague memory that I have seen old photos of Sikh regts in Burma in tin hats.

There was a Sikh in training with me at Dartmouth who took his turban off to play sports (at which he was rather good). He had his hair tied in a topknot with a twist of white cotton and that was apparently sufficient.

The motor bike thing was lunacy at the time and I knew we'd all live to regret it. I've NEVER seen anyone on a motor bike in a turban in all those years.

7. [​IMG]

Called a padchuk...

8. My first reaction was "bwahahaha"
    On second thoughts though, it doesn't seem that strange.
    Still though, "ballistic turban", sounds like a record label or something.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Shahbash, bradstyley.

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Of course, it's not strictly speaking true that all Sikha have to have a turban. The less strict sikhs just wear their Patka, as do children and yoofs.

[​IMG]

If this becomes an allowable norm amongst the Sikh police officers, then there's not drama in terms of fitting a ballistic lid over the top.

The item that the Indian Army allows their guys to wear is actually called a Pakta Helmet, and it's the same one in the piccy from the post by Bradstylee

[​IMG]

The contractor that makes them is called 'Star Wire'

Of course, if push comes to shove, there's always this:

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]
    The point is they WANT to fight! So give it to them but please, off the shelve and not some expensive "newly developed by civil servants" turban.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good news I say!

13. A good number of years ago there was a world-class tennis player who was Sikh. I recall him playing at the US National Doubles (Grass, at Longwood CC) with his hair pulled into a topknot sort of thing covered with a white cloth like a handkerchief and tied. I recall it distinctly as it was the size and shape of a tennis ball in the days when tennis ball were all white so it looked a bit like a tennis ball on his head. If the principal is to cover the hair a cloth and helmet combination should work.

Maybe the Sikh police could consult a priest/minister of their faith about the details of their hair covering. Many places make some allowance for religous practices. I have run into a US chaplain with a cammy yarmulka (sp?).

14. Its all part of the drive for the 8th ( Sikh ) Rifles.