Ballistic Proctology

HE117

LE
I thought I would share the results of my latest random purchase.. an endoscope!

Relax! worry not folks, this is about guns and no other cavities! I have always wanted a borescope, but they were really out of my price range until now...! The Teslong digital borescope is available on t'internet for around £50 and is really quite good..

You get a USB camera fitted with LED lights that will fit down a .22 barrel ( and larger) and that plugs in via a USB to anything capable of displaying an image..

IMG_1896small.jpg

The camera has a mirror fitting that screws on the end of the probe and lets you look at right angles to the axis. In larger bores you screw the mirror back and forth until the bore is in focus.

I have a few examples where it has already shown it's value.. The first is my trusty Fazackerly No 4... It has always shot well and had, what I thought was a good bore..

IMG_1899small.jpg

This is the bore just forward of the chamber..

WIN_20210207_18_32_49_Pro.jpg

Its a bit coppery, but otherwise pretty sharp.. There has always been however a ring about four inches from the muzzle, which always puzzled me.. I wondered if it had been someone mucking about with a cleaning rod, or even a ring from a bore obstruction... I bunged the camera up this afternoon and...

WIN_20210207_18_32_28_Pro.jpg

Ooh err pitting! There is a band of pits about an inch wide about 4" from the muzzle! Any ideas? Perhaps a wet patch left in the barrel at some point? Dunno - shoots OK!

My next example is a BSA War Office Pattern Training rifle. Lots of these around, however mine is in .297/.230 Morris!

IMG_1900small.jpg

The reason for not many of these surviving is this...

WIN_20210207_18_10_51_Pro.jpg

The .297/.230 Morris is basically a centrefire .22 and uses centrefire primers! These were originally chlorate filled and the results are as you see..

I lapped the barrel and gave it a good scrub, and although the pits are still there, the surface is a (bit!) cleaner..

WIN_20210207_18_21_36_Pro.jpg

Dunno.. I might re-line the barrel, however the problem is getting hold of (or making) a .297/.230 chamber reamer! Maybe if there is another lockdown!

My last example is a few shots of my trusty PH Musketoon..

IMG_1894small.jpg

In this case, you can unscrew the mirror and have a butchers at the breech plug...

WIN_20210207_18_40_24_Pro.jpg

The wire has been poked down the touch hole so I know where it is.. I have never taken the breech plug out.. it looks like mebbe I should! You could grow mushrooms down there!

WIN_20210207_18_43_08_Pro.jpg

You can also look for rings! Make sure you ram your bullet onto the charge folks!
Here we go with the mirror..

The rings don't look too serious.. I suspect a previous owner may have been a bit enthusiastic with the steel rammer...!

WIN_20210207_18_47_53_Pro.jpg

Pretty useful kit IMHO!

Last edited:
Interesting, some time ago I bought a very cheapy endoscope similar to the one you describe, my two grandsons and myself have had endless fun looking inside all sorts of cavities(non of which have been human).

I have one of those endoscopes used by people in construction - handheld TV monitor at one end with a flexi-body about 75cm long. Drill a 9mm hole in a wall, or the like, and whang it in to find pipe runs, wiring and hidden treasure. Useful bit of kit.

HE117

LE
It's just a coincidence a couple of young nurses have moved into the flat below.
... well you know what they say about having good drills!

Interesting, some time ago I bought a very cheapy endoscope similar to the one you describe, my two grandsons and myself have had endless fun looking inside all sorts of cavities(non of which have been human).

Not sure that helps as much as you think it does given non human cavities does not = inanimate object

Latest Threads