Ball gowns cocktail dresses

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by soldierboy99, Oct 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right the missus has decided she is going to the xmas ball this year. To that end she has to get a ball gown/cocktail dress, where do you all get yours from do you hire or buy etc, any help would be much appreciated.

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

My bird works in John Lewis Cardiff,no problem for me she has staff discount

3. Ball gowns & cocktail dresses are two very different things. I'd check very carefully what the dress code is before she goes shopping.

You'll thank me, as I know of old that hell hath no fury like a woman who's pitched up in the wrong frock!

4. ball gown is generally long, cocktail gown can be knee length! Double check or she'll insist on one of each to be on the safe side!!

5. There are some good deals to be had on Ebay, yes I know everyone hates the place but you can buy either ball gowns or cocktails dresses at a reasonable price.

TPBD

6. right after checking the invite it's a ball gown

7. nice one thats really going to help :) that's aimed at Hermes_R12, i'm not interested in what you get up to at weekends fella, this ain't the NAAFI bar

8. Remember it won't just be the frock, there will be shoes, bag, jewellery, new make up, underwear, hair appt .............

9. Aye can't wait not!!! going to be expensive but have no clue where to go

10. Most half decent shops (Next, Debenhams, John Lewisetc) do ball gowns on the run up to Christmas. My Mrs ends up ordering a load of dresses on-line and tries em all on, picks the best one that matches with all of her shoes, bags and jewellery all from the comfort of home. She returns the ones she doesn't like and gets a refund on those items. Easy enough and she has all of her accessories to hand to check it all matches.

Be careful though, I got caught out last year after a few beers I told her 'to keep some, they look good' and I ended up with £500 bill.

11. Do what I do, borrow frock and accessories, don't wear undies, forget about the hairdresser and make do with an existing lipstick. But then again, I am Scottish, and Aberdonian at that.

12. Aww sorry mate couldn't resist it no offence. Hope you and the Mrs have a great night out and she looks stunning. To be honest what I know about women clothing you can write o the back of a stamp.

My Mrs says 'how do I look?' - I just say fine other wise it will be 8 other changes and 3 hours later before we leave the house !

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Don't worry about where to go, cost, etc. Just hand your credit card over to your wife and while she is out contact your credit card company and extend your credit limit (times 3 should just about do it) or if they are not willing to do that then stick in a couple of grand to cover the first shop.

Job jobbed :)