Balancing the Redundancy figures.......................

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by top_soldier, Oct 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At a time when when we are being told specifically how many uniformed personnel have had the news that they are to join the masses at the job centre,
    do you think it would be reasonable to ask exactly how many civil servants have gone as well? While we're at it, it would be interesting to see how many OF4,5 and 6 have been given the push as well????

I'm all for fixing the debt crisis but a little transparency would be appreciated??
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I would think it is the same number as it is when all these wer first announced, many months ago.

This isn't news, it's something that was news last year.
  3. Thanks for that OldSnowy- really helpful!!!!!!!

The intention was to draw the focus back to the point that we (publicy) have had the axe drop - I thought it would be interesting to see if the CS end of the bargin had been kept and further, ask the direct question on how many of the uniformed rank were OF4 and above????
  4. No idea as to Civil Service but the original tranche 1 DIN made very clear the redundancy fields from private to brigadier. Are you suggesting that OF4s and above have quietly managed to get away with not being made redundant?
  5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I heard that approx 30 OF5s were let go but that the vast majority were volunteers. At OF4 rank I'm not sure of the totals but had heard that 10% in the Infantry went.
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, if we are going to be practical about this...

The first tranche of redundancy for MOD civil Serpents is underway, several hundred have already gone, and more go at the end of each month from now until March - around 4,500, or thereabouts in this first tranche. As the MOD don't think they need to make anyone compulsorily redundant (yet...) this will continue for another two years until the full number - around 26,000 - have gone. The second round of this VERS - Voluntary Early Release Scheme - is starting in April, once the current one finishes. If there is not enough take-up for voluntary redundancy though, compulsory redundancies will most certainly follow.

The CS scheme is aimed purely at cutting budgets, unlike the Services scheme which is aimed at numbers (there are good reasons for this, trust me, v complicated...). You'd think, therefore, that this would mean that, say, 100 higher-grade bods going would save more cash than 250 more junior ones. True, in the medium to long term, but in the short term (which is what counts, I'm afraid) they'd be more expensive. So many older bods who wanted to go were turned down, and more junior grades released. Oh, and there is a separate scheme for Senior CS as well, which complicates things even more.
  7. I am a fairly simple chap (by all accounts) - wouldn't the right thing be for the Gubment to release figures to show the savings/reductions brought about by redundancy and then CLEARLY demonstrate where we were in regards to driving down the deficit?? In other words, tell us when we meet our figure.............unlikely I suspect??
  8. Interesting isn't it - all of us are "hearing" stuff, but not one organisation has fronted up with the Rank and Trade of those who were selected (and no - I'm not suggesting that we publish names). My point is that we should be transparant about what type of loss we have endured and then be in a position to defend the loss in the future.........
  9. The rank, trade and numbers thereof going to be selected was outlined in the DIN (for the second time of saying). Short of publishing the names of those selected it seems a pretty transparent process to me.
  10. from my own cap-badge perspective it has been wholly transparent. Exactly the number of people have been selected as per the DIN.
  11. Why should there be different rules of redundancy for senior CS?
    Whilst some are more senior than others, I do think they should "all be of one company"
    [ie., same rules apply]
  12. Does the CS still offer voluntary redundancy under compulsory terms?
    [ie., Pay you a pension for the years you would have worked if you were still in service]