Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baking Yeast

Plenty of wild yeast floating about. Sourdough starters rely on it, along with some beer styles.

Try getting a delivery slot from German Deli. They have 42 gram packs @ 50p each. I bought 16 for us and family. It freezes well.

D

Deleted 164106

Now do not laugh but after baking yeast for our bread making.
Yes, I know it is a rare as rocking horse poo at the moment!

But does anyone know of a source online that has it in stock.

Did try on fleabay but got scammed yesterday by someone who had it "in stock" then tried to take £400 of my credit card. Luckily the bank picked this up, stopped the card and payments!

Please PM me if you have a source.

I will even bake you a loaf, but you pay for postage & packing!
How much do you need? PM me your address and I can send you some dried stuff.

Not sure about the UK now but here across the pond yeast vanished from the shelves faster than toilet paper.

Last week was talking with a cousin from the other end of town. She said she had tried three supermarkets here and in the next town to no avail. Since I retired, most mornings I go to a French bakery in the village run by a French couple and have a coffee and a fresh croissant. When I popped in to the bakery I asked Jean Jacques and he sold me 4 ounces. We use Imperial numbers here in the US but in French measurements it is around 113 grams. He charged me US$3.00 for the yeast.

Like most places in Massachusetts they are in a procedure of call in the order by phone, give credit card number and drive out front and they bring your order out. They have a menu with prices posted in the window and I noticed that they have added yeast to the menu of things you can order.

Apparently the bakeries get it in one pound (454 grams in French measurements) containers.

Not sure about the UK now but here across the pond yeast vanished from the shelves faster than toilet paper.
How are you fixed for tea? Desperate enough to start dredging the harbour for 250 year old tea leaves?

How are you fixed for tea? Desperate enough to start dredging the harbour for 250 year old tea leaves?

tea supply is fine here, I always have Yorkshire Gold and PG Tips on the shelf.

20200514_025101.jpg

The emphasis being DRY.

Now do not laugh but after baking yeast for our bread making.
Yes, I know it is a rare as rocking horse poo at the moment!

But does anyone know of a source online that has it in stock.

Did try on fleabay but got scammed yesterday by someone who had it "in stock" then tried to take £400 of my credit card. Luckily the bank picked this up, stopped the card and payments!

Please PM me if you have a source.

I will even bake you a loaf, but you pay for postage & packing!

Why not mtale a starter?

Once you have any baking yeast at all, why not make your own by propagating it, sourdough style. Mix up a starter batch, use half, save half in fridge. Repeat each time you make bread. Equally, you can supply friends this way.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Here in Spain it was like rocking horse poo, but now it is freely available - in fact my leader just baked her first second loaf yesterday. The first loaf brick one failed miserably - possibly because the tin of dried yeast she used had a BBD of July 2007!

The subtle difference between best before and use by!

I`m sure most of you here know some old scutter who could help with your yeast shortage ....

Latest Threads