Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baking Yeast

Dr Death

War Hero
Now do not laugh but after baking yeast for our bread making.
Yes, I know it is a rare as rocking horse poo at the moment!

But does anyone know of a source online that has it in stock.

Did try on fleabay but got scammed yesterday by someone who had it "in stock" then tried to take £400 of my credit card. Luckily the bank picked this up, stopped the card and payments!

Please PM me if you have a source.

I will even bake you a loaf, but you pay for postage & packing!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you tried Sainsburys? I got some from them five days ago....

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Now do not laugh but after baking yeast for our bread making.
Yes, I know it is a rare as rocking horse poo at the moment!

But does anyone know of a source online that has it in stock.

Did try on fleabay but got scammed yesterday by someone who had it "in stock" then tried to take £400 of my credit card. Luckily the bank picked this up, stopped the card and payments!

Please PM me if you have a source.

I will even bake you a loaf, but you pay for postage & packing!
Don’t give up. We have had NONE on the shelves here in France for the last 5-6 weeks. Amazon and other sites have been showing dues-out until late May/early June. Lo and behold, our local supermarket had some own-brand dried yeast back on the shelf when I went in at lunchtime today. So production must have restarted somewhere.

In the meantime, if you are desperate and still have baking powder in the cupboard, look across on the baking thread and try the recipe for “Emergency Bread” that I posted a couple of weeks ago. It is fine for sarnies or toast.

Have you tried Sainsburys? I got some from them five days ago....
So did I. I nearly didn't because I was looking for sachets. It hadn't occurred to me that it also comes in small tubs (makes 14 loaves).

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
morrisons have said their bakers will give you some, up here Thomas the baker sells tubs of it.

you can also do a sourdough easy enough.

PappaBear08

Old-Salt
Not been able to find any in shops near me, but I did get some delivered by Bidfood along with a load of other stuff.
Case/pack size is awkward on some items as they're usually a wholesaler, but now doing consumer accounts since lockdown. Can't fault them for rapid delivery, had it all next day

offog

LE
Try the small supermarkets like the extras as they seem to not have been decimated by the locusts. You can also get it in tins so you may have missed it on the shelf.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
So did I. I nearly didn't because I was looking for sachets. It hadn't occurred to me that it also comes in small tubs (makes 14 loaves).
We do a fair bit of baking anyway so have always gone for the small tins, conversely when I was looking for some just before all this kicked off, it didn't occur to look for the sachets in a box when the space where the tins should be was empty..... until I got home!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
We've been posting it to the poorer parts of the city for the last couple of weeks. There's a refill shop seems to have it in. They seem to have a regular supply.
One of those might have it and flour.
My sister, avoided any disappointment by ringing me, finding out where i was and burgling my place. She presented it as a favour, telling me the yeast she'd found and the flour was almost out of date.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Try a bakers thats where i got fresh yeast, sainsburys in house bakers also.
My local Sainsburys told me to sling my hook when I asked for some!

Have you got a local Deli or health food shop near by. I have been getting yeast to order with mine for over a month now. I also get my flour from them (self raising, plain and wholemeal)
It's a little more expensive but I am seriously considering sticking with them, post virus.

Here in Spain it was like rocking horse poo, but now it is freely available - in fact my leader just baked her first second loaf yesterday. The first loaf brick one failed miserably - possibly because the tin of dried yeast she used had a BBD of July 2007!

You can (allegedly) get brewers' yeast from a bottle of bottle-conditioned beer and use that to bake bread. You'd need to increase the quantity of yeast with a starter. It has to be the bottle conditioned type, most is pasteurised. Home-brewers get strains of yeast that way. Or try home brew shop.

I've never tried it, so if it's a disaster, don't blame me. If you get delicious beery bread, I'll take the credit.

Latest Threads