Baking and Video Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Uberware, Sep 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else tried baking broken Video Cards and Mainboards? I just fixed an old GTX 8800 XXX by baking it in the oven. And it's working better than it did before it was broken.

Just curious if anyone else has done it?

2. msr

msr LE

What do you mean by better?

3. Baking?? Errrm, nope, never tried it. I'd be interested in how fucked it was before hand, and the results now. To be fair, I'm never gonna try it. H/ware is normally shagged for a reason, and it's time to replace.

4. I have that card on one of my machines and it suffers with heat more than most so I can't see how many of the components would survive.
    If I were to hazard a guess at what is going on, I would say that some of the bits have been destroyed and the same power it draws is being distributed through fewer parts giving a slight performance boost however if something called for the dead components, it would likely crash.

This is just guess work though and I have never heard of anyone doing this before. I'm quite surprised the pcb didnt warp

5. Baking as in curing solder dry joints probably. How bizarre!

6. Shouldn't this be in the cookery forum?

7. Yes I dont not recommend it as a common practice. I think it fixes weak solder connections. And obviously its not gonna help if a chip is fried. Note DO NOT FRY, BAKE.

I can imagine Heaston having GFX pie at the Fat Duck :D

8. I'm assuming microwaving is out of the question? ;)

9. I suppose if you needed a quick fix and an explosion you could use a microwave :D

10. No, if i wanted to shove bits of a computer into an oven, id wonder what made me think of doing it in the first place, besides drinking meths.

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

my mate buys broken PS3's and fixes them up, a lot of the time all he does is reflows the solder in the oven and they work like new.

12. sounds interesting but dont think i will try it would probably melt the whole thing and end up buying a new oven for her indoors