Baker Rifles - Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by chally2, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone come into contact with working repros of both the Baker rifle and Baker carbine. I really want to get my hands on one to put some rounds down range but want some advice first.

In other words....HELP!

2. There are some about, but it depends on the depth of your pockets!

I have a repro made by Peter Dyson which is fan-feckin'-tastic, but the cost is rather heavy although I did have a year to pay it off since it takes them that long to make amongst their other business. It is a one on one repro with correct 7 groove rifling of correct calibre. At its intented range it is very accurate. They can do special requests so maybe a carbine could be arranged.

The cheaper alternative could be to get a repro from these chaps and get it rebarreled with a real proofed rifled barrel. The stock and fittings are not quite up to original spec but with a bit of work they can be made to look good.

There is also Indian made shyte around but stay well away.
  3. The Peter Dyson ones look fantastic but as I recall are as much as a modern precision rifle of the highest standard.
  4. Cheers for the tips gents. Keep the ideas coming though.

5. the Gunmakers at the Royal Armouries in leeds made baker reps of a good quality. I'v not been over there for a few years, dont know if they are still knocking them out or not, price if i remember right was around £800, (dont quote me on that!)
    I'm now looking at the RA website but cant seem to find any PH for the gunmakers.

The Craft Court Within The Royal Armouries Museum
    West Yorkshire
    LS10 1LT

RA info line - 24hr information: 08700 344 344

i'm sure theres many a UK gunshop who sell the indian made reps, i think they go for around £500-£600 ( once again if i'm remembering rightly)
  6. Really would like to try and keep the cost down as this is as experimental as I get :oops: .

If anyone knows of decent UK dealers that would be rock n' roll.

Cheers again.
  7. Cheers Stealth :D . Will look into them today.

8. [​IMG]

Aaargh, it's just too shiny, it burns it burns!

That company used to /still do make a stunning English civil wall wheellock pistol.
  9. Now all I need is a fig 11 of a cheese eating surrender monkey!

Cheers chaps.
  10. I read somewhere or other that at least one of these - not sure if its the Baker, Brunswick, or Ferguson has extremely impressive ballistics - thousands of foot pounds; anybody have any idea as when I look it up, it just says "variable"?
  11. Be very careful on the cheaper repros such as those used by re-enactors. I saw some in the hands of some 95th guys at a Napoleonic show some time back and although they looked the part it wasn't possible to get one's eyes behind the sights.
  12. Can't resist a bit of showing off!

Attached Files:

13. Nice lawn!