Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Baked beans with breakfast

How so?

Google Clootie dumpling and Scottish fruit pudding. If you've never had it, go buy it. Nom.

Haven't had fruit pudding for a long time. Used to get it as a treat alongside white and black pud. Delicious in a decent fry up.

How so?

Google Clootie dumpling and Scottish fruit pudding. If you've never had it, go buy it. Nom.
Would certainly give it a try, I am not one of those parky cnuts. I am sure it would be delicious, but I suppose it must be a regional thing, that's the first time I've heard of fruit pudding with a full English / Scottish brekky.

Fruit pudding

From memory - it was just like having a slice of christmas cake with a fryup - nice but...it didn't belong.
A bit like having a blowjob off a bird whilst having a brew with your grandma.

The best way to eat baked beans is to fry them in a pan after you have fried some type of meat, bacon etc first

In my early days on visiting various establishments in the US I sampled grits; never again. If I remember rightly it was at Redstone, guy next to me at table announces "hey bouy, u need to get yer grits down yer". Thought oh well I'd better try the grits. What turned up was something resembling a bowl of hummus that somebody had pissed over. The hot sand might have been more preferable.

Grits reminded me of wallpaper paste, minus the taste. Whoever came up with the recipe should be made personal chef to Ian Huntley, Roy Whiting, or the Telford, Rotherham and Rochdale Grooming Gangs.

Would certainly give it a try, I am not one of those parky cnuts. I am sure it would be delicious, but I suppose it must be a regional thing, that's the first time I've heard of fruit pudding with a full English / Scottish brekky.
It is the classic sweet and savoury thing, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as it were. My father used to use marmalade as a condiment for sausage at breakfast and it is a habit that I inherited. The sweet/sour marmalade makes an excellent addition to the salt/umami flavours of a sausage.

I avoid Heinz products for political reasons!
I avoid quite a few brands but Heinz are the only ones I wish to avoid for political reasons, I ensure that the family tries the alternatives and we tend to stick with them.

What's the story behind the embargo then? Never thought of Heinz as "political".

The best way to eat baked beans is to fry them in a pan after you have fried some type of meat, bacon etc first
Just like laver bread, then.
But laver bread and beans, definitely no: the beans would kill the delicate taste of the laver bread.

It is the classic sweet and savoury thing, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as it were. My father used to use marmalade as a condiment for sausage at breakfast and it is a habit that I inherited. The sweet/sour marmalade makes an excellent addition to the salt/umami flavours of a sausage.
Malt loaf is lush toasted with loads of butter-might give it a whirl in a fry up at the weekend.

Try banana and bacon sandwiches :)

Malt loaf is lush toasted with loads of butter-might give it a whirl in a fry up at the weekend.
Agree that toasted malt loaf and butter are nice. Slices of Scottish fruit pudding, grilled or fried are great for breakfasts though but by all means report back how you get on with fried malt loaf.

Stand fast that man and then carry on! I scoff a whole can with toast, three scrambled eggs, and brown sauce on the side.
I don't do big fry ups or grill ups that often but do use a whole can of beans for a meal. If the combination scran is too much for one sitting it generally gets rolled over in to another expedient meal. Agree with three eggs for scrambled egg or an omlette. Heinz used to do baked bean pizzas. I'm not a Heinz fan but they were nice. I then made my own. Okay, I didn't make the base but the cooked pizza was quite something :)
There was a Blue Peter annual in the 70's with a recipe for "Baked Beano". Some baked bean and mashed potato concoction that Lesley Judd cooked. Gave that a go. Don't recall much about it other than it was quite good. Mixing baked beans and mashed spuds generally leads to baked bean stovies. Nice. Best with seasoning and with the browned but nor burnt bits scraped off the pan and mixed in a la corned beef hash (which was nice with a spoonful of bovril added to it) :chef::hungry: