Baked beans with breakfast

This guy seems to champion beans at brekkie but only if they're Heinz.

A capful of tomato puree and a half tea spoon of mild curry powder...Beans of the Gods.
Cross & Blackwell...or is it Branston..... beans are near to what Heinz use to be years back prior the Heinz being utter thieving knuts and adding copious quantities of H2-0.

Crosse & Blackwell beans were easily my favourite, but their own brand beans disappeared from the shelves some years ago, probably during a complicated round of brand acquisitions. Branston (a brand once themselves owned by C&B) just don't cut it. Nor do supermarket own brands.

As has been said, you can pimp up insipid and watery off the shelf beans with the addition of tomato puree and a dash of Worcester Sauce etc. but you really should not have to bugger around with something as basic as beans. Apparently, the UK is by far and away the largest consumer of tinned baked beans in the world.

Chicken? Identifiable meat? Looxury!

The bottom of the bain marie dish was a layer of bone on a grey unidentified sediment, grease floating on top of the watery greyish broth and the odd bit of gristle rising to the surface then slowly subsiding.
Sham Harga walt...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Baked Beans and Weetabix anyone?

skynews-weetabix-breakfast_5268059.jpg

WTF? Is it for people who struggle with beans on toast? Has anyone tried to stomach this foul abomination?

It started as an advert for weetabix a few ago.

Millions and millions of retweets, comments, mentioned on news and talk shows.
Sales of weetabix up many times across the world.

They have followed up with cheese on weetabix

I remember eating Weetabix with butter and jam as a kid.

quilter

War Hero
Using the C & B baked beans, add half a teaspoonful of Branston Meditteranean tomato chutney (for one portion of beans) really adds a bite/zing

and this chutters is ace with cheese/cold meats/sausages etc., Just saying.:grin:

The only thing tinned tomatoes are good for is gut-shot casualty simulation. Like wot I did on my Junior Brecon ‘75

Good in a curry and make a dashed fine sauce for home made baked beans with tomato soup.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

He's a bit shit at cooking, maybe that's why he was hoofed from HM's kitchens.

I was also there end 92 through to summer 93. The local roadside 'shop' occasionally had tins of Heinz baked beans, which I happily bought for $1 a tin. Great lunch eaten with freshly baked baguettes :)
Can’t disagree there ... we had the good fortune to have the “old” RatPacks which had several different tinned delights, which altho’ OK cold, benefitted from some gentle “manifolding” ... the fFrench AirCrew jobbies had a small wine sachet in ‘em, which made a delightful inter-national culinary experience, albeit not “manifolded”.

My mother told me that bacon and beans was "the cowboy's breakfast" to assuage the disappointment of no eggs when we had eaten all of the ration.

Parents are dreadful f*cking liars.

Milk that was going off and causing the dappling at the top of your tea was 'lucky spots' in our house.

Ffksk ... apparently cooked for the Royal Family ... phark! That’s 7 minutes I’ll never get back!

Ffksk ... apparently cooked for the Royal Family ... phark! That’s 7 minutes I’ll never get back!
Edit ... checked: four minutes, ffksk!

Pete Cozy

Clanker
I like baked beans, but for the good of Humanity, the ozone layer and a right hook from her indoors, I eat very few beans, red kidney beans are best, with warm milk and a spoon of Marmite, wait about 2 hours, then I could keep a wind turbine turning.

'Beanz Meanz Heinz'. Probably one of the most successful ad slogans of all time.

"A million house wives every day, pick up a tin of beans and say.........."

I can even remember the contemporaneous jingle for their main rival at the time:

"HP baked beans, they're the beans for me.........."

I was a sponge for corporate propaganda as a kid.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can’t disagree there ... we had the good fortune to have the “old” RatPacks which had several different tinned delights, which altho’ OK cold, benefitted from some gentle “manifolding” ... the fFrench AirCrew jobbies had a small wine sachet in ‘em, which made a delightful inter-national culinary experience, albeit not “manifolded”.
I was there as a UNMO on hods of UN subsistence, so we just hired a local chef :)

quilter

War Hero
Using the C & B baked beans, add half a teaspoonful of Branston Meditteranean tomato chutney (for one portion of beans) really adds a bite/zing

and this chutters is ace with cheese/cold meats/sausages etc., Just saying.:grin:
Apologies, I spelled Mediterranean wrongly. Shame on me the pedantic.

Yokel

LE
'Beanz Meanz Heinz'. Probably one of the most successful ad slogans of all time.

"A million house wives every day, pick up a tin of beans and say.........."

I can even remember the contemporaneous jingle for their main rival at the time:

"HP baked beans, they're the beans for me.........."

I was a sponge for corporate propaganda as a kid.

Beanz Meanz Fartz!

One million people a day, pick up a tin of beans and say, where's the f***ing tin opener?

Anyway - what is the most exotic meal you have had baked beans with? Not just to go with chips or mashed potato instead of peas or other vegetables, but have you ever out them in anything?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Beanz Meanz Fartz!

One million people a day, pick up a tin of beans and say, where's the f***ing tin opener?

Anyway - what is the most exotic meal you have had baked beans with? Not just to go with chips or mashed potato instead of peas or other vegetables, but have you ever out them in anything?
Campfire stew.

Fry up your onion and tomato in the skottel while the bacon and sossinges do their thing round the edges. Chuck in a tin of beans, chopped chili and a spoon of curry powder, let it simmer for a bit, make a pit in the middle and crack half a dozen eggs in there. Heat to low, sit back with a brew and scratch your arse for ten minutes while the eggs cook, and serve.

Latest Threads