Baked beans with breakfast

ugly

LE
I having a veggie cooked breakfast this morning, a plain two-egg omelette, fresh spicy salsa, bbq beans, mushrooms, cooked fresh tomato, yellow pepper and white onion. I'm not going completely veggie but I am definitely trying to eat much less meat.
I honestly get that but breakfast if a cooked one is pretty sacrosanct in my book. If you want to try an unusually vegetarian breakfast sty in a Holiday Inn Express, I went for breakfast to be faced with no bacon, bleeding veggi sausages and scrambled eggs. I asked the staff and they claimed it was a full English. Needless to say I wont be stopping there again!

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I having a veggie cooked breakfast this morning, a plain two-egg omelette, fresh spicy salsa, bbq beans, mushrooms, cooked fresh tomato, yellow pepper and white onion. I'm not going completely veggie but I am definitely trying to eat much less meat.

Pretty much my reason: didn't eat a huge amount of meat anyway so it was fairly easy just to cut it out altogether. I reckon black pudding* will be the hill this cause dies on but we'll see...

*Although it's not technically 'meat' I suppose.

Whoa there! LADIES that implies more than one, now assuming one is your wife/partner ok but who are the others. Sister, daughter, mother, maiden aunt, lodger?
You disgust me sir!

Well anyone stupid enough to cross my doorstep has to be fair game

Pretty much my reason: didn't eat a huge amount of meat anyway so it was fairly easy just to cut it out altogether. I reckon black pudding* will be the hill this cause dies on but we'll see...

*Although it's not technically 'meat' I suppose.

Found some excellent Black Puddin , Northumbrian Sausage Co in the Greenmarket in Newcastle, their food in general is top notch too

Aaah, baked beans ... reminiscing about attempting to educate the gentle Khmer who we’d been sent to save from themselves and all their avaricious new “mates” during 1992. Our Movement Control Group developed a mutually-beneficial relationship with the Kiwi DeMining/EOD mob, who also lived in a pub just down the road from us, and with whom we shared Sunday Prayers. We thought we’d finally got the Khmer chef sorted out with our breakfast orders of eggs ‘n chips ‘n beans on toast after about 3 or 4 attempts ... alas, the order was duly presented with much fanfare, with each of us receiving a plate of eggs, a plate of chips and a plate of beans, accompanied by a plate of toast. It took a quite enjoyable visit to the kitchen to explain the concept of “all on one plate” to Madame, the chef’s mum ... she continued to attempt resistance, but we managed occasionally to have the win, when we chose to arrive earlier than was normal, or pitch up for Dins and order when she was busy making merit at the Wat. The small things during that period made it all worthwhile ...

Ah, winding up local cooks. One of the Chinese slop jockeys at work would have serious eyebrow/hairline interface moments when he served a thin and tasteless broth the Chinese seem to like, and Muggins would slot in a ladle of pepper fried beef and a spoon of roasted chili seed oil to give it character.

I think I was his penance for being Adolph Hitler in a previous incarnation.

Chinese slop jockeys
...on a Chinese seismic crew deep in the Sudanese scrub, having to eat their rations, a huge pot of said thin chickenish fluid, containing one whole chicken (without feathers) is in the middle of the table. The crew files in, take a bowl of thin soup, random one takes the chicken. Brit geologist and I look at each other and go back to the trailer to eat a Mars bar each.

Chicken? Identifiable meat? Looxury!

The bottom of the bain marie dish was a layer of bone on a grey unidentified sediment, grease floating on top of the watery greyish broth and the odd bit of gristle rising to the surface then slowly subsiding.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Aaah, baked beans ... reminiscing about attempting to educate the gentle Khmer who we’d been sent to save from themselves and all their avaricious new “mates” during 1992. Our Movement Control Group developed a mutually-beneficial relationship with the Kiwi DeMining/EOD mob, who also lived in a pub just down the road from us, and with whom we shared Sunday Prayers. We thought we’d finally got the Khmer chef sorted out with our breakfast orders of eggs ‘n chips ‘n beans on toast after about 3 or 4 attempts ... alas, the order was duly presented with much fanfare, with each of us receiving a plate of eggs, a plate of chips and a plate of beans, accompanied by a plate of toast. It took a quite enjoyable visit to the kitchen to explain the concept of “all on one plate” to Madame, the chef’s mum ... she continued to attempt resistance, but we managed occasionally to have the win, when we chose to arrive earlier than was normal, or pitch up for Dins and order when she was busy making merit at the Wat. The small things during that period made it all worthwhile ...
I was also there end 92 through to summer 93. The local roadside 'shop' occasionally had tins of Heinz baked beans, which I happily bought for $1 a tin. Great lunch eaten with freshly baked baguettes :)

...on a Chinese seismic crew deep in the Sudanese scrub, having to eat their rations, a huge pot of said thin chickenish fluid, containing one whole chicken (without feathers) is in the middle of the table. The crew files in, take a bowl of thin soup, random one takes the chicken. Brit geologist and I look at each other and go back to the trailer to eat a Mars bar each.
It's almost 20 years since I was last on a BGP crew in a desert in the South Western China. We were 250km from the nearest town, so ran two shifts of 3 days on camp, 3 days in town. I decided to adjust to the diet of stewed vegetables and unidentifiable meat, but one of my guys wouldn't eat for the 3 days in camp. As soon as we hit town, he went to the nearest chicken burger shop and gorged himself. That was also not without risk, as I'm sure you can image, what with the chinese method of preparing cooking chicken.

tiv

LE
Standard fare on the chow line. When the beans ran out the alternative was cooked tomatoes, which flooded your plate with watery juice that soaked into your fried bread and made it all soggy.
Fried Tomatoes or fine but runny watery ones are just as bad. Baked Beans are fine with some things but, to me, they are the runination of a fry up.

Latest Threads