Baked beans with breakfast

Looks like the gutbuster breakfast at the Skipton Butty Wagon, minus the black pudding and 2 burger patties, but looking at Dijon Mustard and manky sausages it must be a highway sandwich purveyor sarf of london

Looks like the gutbuster breakfast at the Skipton Butty Wagon, minus the black pudding and 2 burger patties, but looking at Dijon Mustard and manky sausages it must be a highway sandwich purveyor sarf of london
I had thought Scotch Corner, but the mustard does hint at below Watford Gap. No decent northerner would touch that French muck on a good brekkie.

I had thought Scotch Corner, but the mustard does hint at below Watford Gap. No decent English person would touch that French muck on a good brekkie.
No charge.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I always used to like the breakfasts at the Grindleford Cafe.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
So, baked beans for dinner last night and breakfast this morning (this thread was making me hungry!), details as follows:

Dinner
2 x slices white toastwith Marmite, 1 x large tin baked beans = okay'ish but not really a fan (I like Marmite on toast, I like baked beans on toast, but not together... :thumbdown:

Breakfast
2 x slices white toast (crusts) each topped with a slice of mature cheddar cheese, 1 x large tin baked beans and a fried egg on each slice liberally seasoned with sea salt and black pepper = delicious! :hungry:

In my Tricky trucker interlude, prided myself on eating at the best butty,fritten ,and bratwurst and eintopf buden in europe;)

ugly

LE
Feeling guilty after troughing muesli whilst 0A was watching so after the dog walk I bagged some bacon and Cumberland snorkers. Went down a treat with two fried eggs and beans cooked in the cast iron frying pan I had cooked everything else in first. Tasted lovely. I'm working this evening so I'll be off to bed shortly on my full stomach.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With regard to the US side of tinned things, was listening to something other day which stated that during WW2, Japan controlled about 70% of the tin that the USA used to import. As such civilian's food was not just rationed in terms of what food stuffs but the containers.
Tinned fruit and veg had become very popular in USA in 20s and 30s
A guy called Maxson started producing meals for US NAvy Air Transport Service, pre plated, pre portioned. These became what are now known as TV dinners, but they started gaining popularity as they were far more available as they did not use tin in their construction, but had a covering of gold old US aluminium!
(He aslo invented and manufacturered machine gun mounts!)

But basically various staple foods such as tinned baked beans lost their place in the market due to not being availbel to civilians, and post war were replaced by other things.

Airplanes & Frozen Food - How the Airfryer was Invented

ugly

LE
The US despite its massive ready meal culture also had so many regional home cooked versions of baked beans it was something that even the US market couldn't agree on!
The New Mexico lot are not going to want to eat Boston recipes and so on!

The US despite its massive ready meal culture also had so many regional home cooked versions of baked beans it was something that even the US market couldn't agree on!
The New Mexico lot are not going to want to eat Boston recipes and so on!
Damn' right!
NM beans are far superior to that East Coast, liberal muck. :smile:

I heard the army gave men beans as a precursor to NBC warfare. If you could live with 30 men farting all night you could survive a gas attack. Porton Down worked on the beans mix, under the guise of Heinz. Several barrack blocks were lost due to explosions back in the 50s.
I often mused that if someone could come up with a methane collector then barracks could go off grid for heating.

ugly

LE
I'm sure Burgo and beans were mentioned in "quartered safe out here"

Stuck out here in the sand with what can be pretty grim scran at times. The current culinary fantasy is a baked bean, bacon, chorico and smoked chicken breast bunny chow.

Simplified, it's a load of onions, chopped and fried with chili and garlic, diced bacon chucked in along with the sliced smoked chicken breast and sliced chorico then cooked till browned. Add the beans and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes then ladle the lot into a half loaf of bread with the guts scooped out. Top with a fried egg and keep your hands and feet well clear of my dinner manglers.

Stuck out here in the sand with what can be pretty grim scran at times. The current culinary fantasy is a baked bean, bacon, chorico and smoked chicken breast bunny chow.

Simplified, it's a load of onions, chopped and fried with chili and garlic, diced bacon chucked in along with the sliced smoked chicken breast and sliced chorico then cooked till browned. Add the beans and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes then ladle the lot into a half loaf of bread with the guts scooped out. Top with a fried egg and keep your hands and feet well clear of my dinner manglers.
This bunny chow?
Bunny Chow And Its Durban Curry Recipe - Genius Kitchen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_donkey_man Cookery 14
Tastytoggle The NAAFI Bar 45
The_Cheat The NAAFI Bar 23