• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Baked beans with breakfast

It is the classic sweet and savoury thing, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as it were. My father used to use marmalade as a condiment for sausage at breakfast and it is a habit that I inherited. The sweet/sour marmalade makes an excellent addition to the salt/umami flavours of a sausage.
Malt loaf is lush toasted with loads of butter-might give it a whirl in a fry up at the weekend.

It is the classic sweet and savoury thing, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as it were. My father used to use marmalade as a condiment for sausage at breakfast and it is a habit that I inherited. The sweet/sour marmalade makes an excellent addition to the salt/umami flavours of a sausage.
Try banana and bacon sandwiches :)

Stand fast that man and then carry on! I scoff a whole can with toast, three scrambled eggs, and brown sauce on the side.
I don't do big fry ups or grill ups that often but do use a whole can of beans for a meal. If the combination scran is too much for one sitting it generally gets rolled over in to another expedient meal. Agree with three eggs for scrambled egg or an omlette. Heinz used to do baked bean pizzas. I'm not a Heinz fan but they were nice. I then made my own. Okay, I didn't make the base but the cooked pizza was quite something :)
There was a Blue Peter annual in the 70's with a recipe for "Baked Beano". Some baked bean and mashed potato concoction that Lesley Judd cooked. Gave that a go. Don't recall much about it other than it was quite good. Mixing baked beans and mashed spuds generally leads to baked bean stovies. Nice. Best with seasoning and with the browned but nor burnt bits scraped off the pan and mixed in a la corned beef hash (which was nice with a spoonful of bovril added to it) :chef::hungry:

What the hell is macaroni pudding that is served on Wednesday? Macaroni is meant to be served in a hot, rich cheese sauce or under chilli!
Only seen it sold in UK stores that cater to, how shall I say this, ethnics
IDShot_540x540.jpg

Not breakfast, but I find a scotch egg cut in half and served with beans to be divine. Always a sloppos favourite for me. Also, I used to enjoy the tins of London grill when I were a nipper, not sure if you can still get them.
When whatever company brought out those cans of Full Monty and similar, no one bought the London Grill from then. Shame as I really liked London Grill, only time regularly ate kidney

Just out of interest, whatever happened to Heinz Oxtail Soup?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just out of interest, whatever happened to Heinz Oxtail Soup?
Still available in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

‘A’ clove of garlic? Have you become weak of constitution of late? ;-)
Single portion. If you're doing a pot of them go an entire head or two. I like adding a shedload to a sun dried tomato pesto with fresh rosemary and a couple of chilis and use it to bump up the flavour of the beans.

ugly

LE
What's the story behind the embargo then? Never thought of Heinz as "political".
John Kerry is married to the Heinz Heiress. A good enough reason to keep my shillings out of his pockets!

Still available in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks for that.
Coming over in the summer, will now insist on getting some, over the protests of SWMBO (but not in this case)

ugly

LE
Ta for the follow up. He the Septic of the Swift Boat controversy?
Indeed and the alleged self promotion/awarding of medals, dodgy political leanings and linked to the Clintons so tainted for life I'm afraid. I know he has little impact over here but I'm just making sure!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_donkey_man Cookery 14
Tastytoggle The NAAFI Bar 45
The_Cheat The NAAFI Bar 23