Baked beans with breakfast

ugly

LE
Right, a quick update from the RLC:
Dear Ugly

Many thanks for your enquiry.

A difficult one, so I asked the Army Catering Corps Facebook group, as we could find nothing in the museum catering archive.

As expected a mixed and humorous response including the old rhyme "beans beans good for the heart ....................."

However, the better responses were:

- In 1944 they were in main packs but not individual packs
- Heinz introduced them to UK in 1904, but they didn’t make army rations until 1944
- 1901 they were sold in Fortnum and mason
- Henry Heinz sold them in the UAS in 1895

Thus having read a number of comments it seems that 1944 is the time they first made Army rations.

I hope this helps and sorry I could find no definitive or more academic answer.

Kind regards
This from the RLC museum manager, a very nice chap it seems and he didn't seem to say one question only and proceed to rap my knuckles with a ladle when I emailed the following follow up question:
Dear sir, many thanks for your prompt response. I had a feeling that appearance in compo rations would be during WW2 due to that period being when field rations for individual soldiers ceased to consist of Iron Rations and central messing. I am curious as to when the Army introduced baked beans into the general day to day menu especially breakfasts in unit canteens and central messing. I appreciate this isn't within the context of my original question. I have attempted to view historic versions of the MAC but I don't seem to be able to go back beyond the sixties.
I have a theory that at some point either during or after WW1 that baked beans appeared in the army general diet as the standards for soldiers diets improved as a result of the war.
I appreciate that you may not be able to find this out but its of great interest to me.
Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards
Ugly

I wait to see if indeed a crusty copy of Macs exists from the aforementioned period.

We both need pap for various meals, but if I'm getting a decent boere breakfast it'd better include either poffadder or boerewors & skilpadjies, else it's not worth the name.
Pretty sure the baked beans are a rooinek import, didn't we scale a load from that Chelmsford poes at Isandhlwana ?
Bloody hell, Sambo! Chelmsford's mob were lucky not to get eaten with your ancestors about.

Although talk of pofadder and skilpadjies has me drooling. Lob in a half yard of Maders' baby's arm boerie and a half kilo rump steak and you're talking brekker of the gods, although el beanos and a fried egg on top of that lot might be taking it to extremes.

From what I remember, although tinned baked beans were something that arrived on our shores from America, sales in this country far outstrip those anywhere else in the world (including the US).

As with its stable mate, tomato soup, any attempt at recreating the recipe homemade is doomed to ignominious failure.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When I was a young laddie on the farm, my dads Sunday fry-ups were legendary.

It was basically a plate of everything.

2 Square sausage
2 Bacon
Fried egg
Potato waffle
Dumpling
Black pudding
2 Fruit pudding
Mushrooms
2 Fried bread
Grilled tomato
Toast
Then lashed over with a huge heap of beans.

Finish that and off onto the farm to feed the beasts.

I got to about 13 before I tapped out one Sunday and said "Dad, I physically can't eat all this any more."

House used to stink like a sewage plant an hour after.

2 Square sausage
2 Bacon
Fried egg
Potato waffle
Dumpling
Black pudding
2 Fruit pudding
Mushrooms
2 Fried bread
Grilled tomato
Toast

I got to about 13 before I tapped out one Sunday and said "Dad, I physically can't eat all this any more."

What about tattie scones?
Wasn't a fan of Lorne sausage but I would eat it. I don't think I had a breakfast nearly as big as that until I left home. I never starved though. When I visited a friends house, I was surprised they weren't starving on what his mum cooked for them. She seemed to have a small appetite and cooked for the family likewise.

After a long run, my favourite recovery meal is a tin of baked beans, half a dozen fish fingers and some crusty bread.
Exactly the same for me, except I pronounce 'run' as 'drinking session'.

growing up on the Isle of Dogs in the 70's we only ever had baked beans as part of a main course - that is beans on toast or egg, chips and beans. It was only as a cadet I saw them on a breakfast menu when I attended courses at regular establishments

2 Square sausage
2 Bacon
Fried egg
Potato waffle
Dumpling
Black pudding
2 Fruit pudding
Mushrooms
2 Fried bread
Grilled tomato
Toast

Sounds very nice, I am slightly miffed about the dumpling and fruit puddings though.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sounds very nice, I am slightly miffed about the dumpling and fruit puddings though.
How so?

Google Clootie dumpling and Scottish fruit pudding. If you've never had it, go buy it. Nom.

How so?

Google Clootie dumpling and Scottish fruit pudding. If you've never had it, go buy it. Nom.
Would certainly give it a try, I am not one of those parky cnuts. I am sure it would be delicious, but I suppose it must be a regional thing, that's the first time I've heard of fruit pudding with a full English / Scottish brekky.

Fruit pudding

From memory - it was just like having a slice of christmas cake with a fryup - nice but...it didn't belong.
A bit like having a blowjob off a bird whilst having a brew with your grandma.

The best way to eat baked beans is to fry them in a pan after you have fried some type of meat, bacon etc first

In my early days on visiting various establishments in the US I sampled grits; never again. If I remember rightly it was at Redstone, guy next to me at table announces "hey bouy, u need to get yer grits down yer". Thought oh well I'd better try the grits. What turned up was something resembling a bowl of hummus that somebody had pissed over. The hot sand might have been more preferable.
Grits reminded me of wallpaper paste, minus the taste. Whoever came up with the recipe should be made personal chef to Ian Huntley, Roy Whiting, or the Telford, Rotherham and Rochdale Grooming Gangs.

Fry up some chopped onion and a clove of garlic before adding the sausage and bacon, then the beans. Should boost the piquancy of your farts to a noticeable degree.
‘A’ clove of garlic? Have you become weak of constitution of late? ;-)

Would certainly give it a try, I am not one of those parky cnuts. I am sure it would be delicious, but I suppose it must be a regional thing, that's the first time I've heard of fruit pudding with a full English / Scottish brekky.
It is the classic sweet and savoury thing, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as it were. My father used to use marmalade as a condiment for sausage at breakfast and it is a habit that I inherited. The sweet/sour marmalade makes an excellent addition to the salt/umami flavours of a sausage.

I avoid Heinz products for political reasons!
I avoid quite a few brands but Heinz are the only ones I wish to avoid for political reasons, I ensure that the family tries the alternatives and we tend to stick with them.
What's the story behind the embargo then? Never thought of Heinz as "political".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_donkey_man Cookery 14
Tastytoggle The NAAFI Bar 45
The_Cheat The NAAFI Bar 23