Baked beans with breakfast

I buy Tesco's cheapest baked beans & grate a goodly dose of pepper into them before heating.
Taste good enough for me & aneckofalot cheaper than the big brands.

ugly

LE
For that compo breakfast feeling bacon grill in baked beans can occasionally be found in tesco and morrisons

Baked beans for breakfast was nothing new to me when I joined the Army. As a boy during the school week it was usually cereal and toast for breakfast but on Sunday it was the full fry up with baked beans.

I never liked the American versions of baked beans so imagine my delight when SWMBO came home from shopping one day with tins of Heinz baked beans, the local supermarket had open up a world foods section and still sell them to this day.

Beans beans are good for the heart
The more you eat the more you'll fart
The more you fart the better you'll feel
So eat those beans with every meal.
World foods, that's posh. In the supermarkets in Fort Wayne British food is in the 'Ethnic Foods' section, between the kosher and German foods.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Well, we have a history of coming between the Kosher and the German...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heinz baked beans or Heinz tinned spaghetti with those little tinned sausages on toast or crumpets. A guilty treat for me on occasion of an evening. For the true breakfast blow out beans are a must.

I’m also partial to re fried beans you get at Mexican restaurants in the southern US

ugly

LE
I’m also partial to re fried beans you get at Mexican restaurants in the southern US
Having done it myself much against Clarksons advice I can agree with you, beans do taste better fried in the pan after everything else has been cooked!

ugly

LE

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I first came across beans as part of breakfast on HMS Humber.
Since the alternative was the dreaded peeled plum tomatoes ( known as 'red Lead' in the RN) I went with the flow.

The chef's nickname was Splitpin,as far as we could tell he existed on a diet of raw liver.

It's a bad habit that sticks with you.

My daughter treated me to brunch in a swish eaterie in Pont Canna a while back......noms.
IMG-20171126-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:
Some small portions of beans so far. Does anyone else eat a whole can of baked beans in one sitting?
Admittedly I should maybe consider moderating my portions :)
Every now and again I eat a tin of cold ones, or I heat them up in the microwave after I've added a couple of spoonfuls of Worcestershire sauce and spoonful of Tabasco. Tastes similar to BBQ baked beans. I also enjoy the curried version of Heinz beans.

View attachment 331203

Got plenty of these in my kitchen. I was outraged when the price almost doubled overnight from 50p to 99p a tin.
That looks the business. Got a couple of tins of beans and sausages or meatballs in my trunk in the sandpit. Luxury items for when I can't face another fucking bowl of rice. Now to convince the local manufacturers in SA that bacon and beans is a damned good idea.

Every now and again I eat a tin of cold ones, or I heat them up in the microwave after I've added a couple of spoonfuls of Worcestershire sauce and spoonful of Tabasco. Tastes similar to BBQ baked beans. I also enjoy the curried version of Heinz beans.
I used to do that and sometimes add stuff to get a BBQ flavour :)
I curry up standard baked beans and add stuff to them. To be fair it might have been Heinz curried beans as advertised by Windsor Davies that got me doing that. Quite a different recipe and taste though.

My eyes were opened as a young Boy Scout (yea yea), instead of the beans as you know them, the great frying pan hat had just had a couple of pounds of bacon put through it, the beans were tipped into that, and you know how lovely they became.

I used to cook up bacon and beans a lot, mostly with toast but sometimes with fried potatoes. I gave it up as a regular part of my diet for health reasons but it can be the basis of a very tasty meal indeed. Drool... :chef::hungry:

Handy 3-packs of small Heinz beans from the Pound Shop. Jazz up with Woucester sauce and a teaspoon of Pataks Aubergine pickle, serve with grilled Tesco Cumberland style veggie sausages - lush for no cash.

Some small portions of beans so far. Does anyone else eat a whole can of baked beans in one sitting?
Admittedly I should maybe consider moderating my portions :)
After a long run, my favourite recovery meal is a tin of baked beans, half a dozen fish fingers and some crusty bread.

Not only does it provide all the nutrients my body needs, it helps ensure I get the room to myself for a bit.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Along with steak and deviled kidneys.

Baked beans are piss easy to make. Use a lot less sugar, lob in some bacon, chili and sliced chorico and you have a dashed fine topping for toast.
We both need pap for various meals, but if I'm getting a decent boere breakfast it'd better include either poffadder or boerewors & skilpadjies, else it's not worth the name.
Pretty sure the baked beans are a rooinek import, didn't we scale a load from that Chelmsford poes at Isandhlwana ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
After a long run, my favourite recovery meal is a tin of baked beans, half a dozen fish fingers and some crusty bread.
Lightweight.
I've just had a five year old graze fourteen of them, plus a pile of chips I'd baulk at climbing over.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_donkey_man Cookery 14
Tastytoggle The NAAFI Bar 45
The_Cheat The NAAFI Bar 23