Baked beans with breakfast

Along with steak and deviled kidneys.

Baked beans are piss easy to make. Use a lot less sugar, lob in some bacon, chili and sliced chorico and you have a dashed fine topping for toast.
Just put away a couple of slices of that and am ready to face the world. Added some Spanish ham to the mix and cut back a little on the bacon. Added curry powder along with the chillis to give it a bit of zing. Accompanied by a bottle of Cosmic Angus (Corsendonk Agnus). Great on a warm day. Still got some left over for a buttie tomorrow. Baaarrrp!

Baked beans for breakfast was nothing new to me when I joined the Army. As a boy during the school week it was usually cereal and toast for breakfast but on Sunday it was the full fry up with baked beans.

I never liked the American versions of baked beans so imagine my delight when SWMBO came home from shopping one day with tins of Heinz baked beans, the local supermarket had open up a world foods section and still sell them to this day.

Beans beans are good for the heart
The more you eat the more you'll fart
The more you fart the better you'll feel
So eat those beans with every meal.
World foods, that's posh. In the supermarkets in Fort Wayne British food is in the 'Ethnic Foods' section, between the kosher and German foods.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

I have been to the States lots of times and I am always frustrated at the fact that you can't get Heinz baked beans.
They sell all sorts, with barbecue being the most popular as far as I can tell.
Sickly sweet muck.
I thought Heinz were an American company.

ugly

LE
I have been to the States lots of times and I am always frustrated at the fact that you can't get Heinz baked beans.
Sickly sweet muck.
They are however they sell what the natives buy, even non reduced sugar baked beans aren't sweet enough for the average cousin!

My quest to find a tin of beans was unsucsseful but it did have one big advantage.
I was staying with some friends who ran a backpackers hostel and one day whilst rummaging around in various grocery stores on my search, I discovered tucked away and a bit dusty a jar of Pataks Vindaloo paste.
As is the custom in hostels you take it in turn to cook and share your food, one beef curry later and I was the hero of the week.
Lots of shagging ensued.

Oddly enough I was chatting to a chef years ago and mentioned powdered eggs, he of course denied it until I asked what hen lays eggs that scramble with bits of green in them, he smiled and admitted they used powdered eggs for scrambling. Ive tried to replicate it unsuccessfully and as they were virtually unrationed on the hotplate and with copious quantities of beans on top of fried bread it was lush, made up for the silly one sausage/two bits of bacon rule. Then again it was nothing compared to the weekend brunches!
Interesting about the green bits. Back in '65-'66 I recall getting "C rations" that included a can of scrambled eggs and ham. We were getting C Rats that had been canned in '44 and '45, before I was born!!
I always wondered about the green bits. Still the green eggs and ham were better than the can of ham and lima beans. Nowhere near as nice as the can of baked beans and little vienna sausages (mini hot dogs).
I recall the coffee being horrible but the cocoa was ace.

Couldn't stand canned Heinz Beans, although 'baked' beans were available for breakfast in the Army (early 1963 for me) I never ate them - though ate the canned 'compo' beans, usually cold, in the field.

I now live in Connecticut, USA., I make baked beans in the summer for my outdoor BBQs.
Pinto beans, molasses, brown sugar, chili, green peppers and onions, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon - cooked slowly in the oven for a couple of hours. I rather like the genuine article!

Last edited:
Went off Heinz beans decades ago. Preferred Crosse & Blackwell or HP. Biona were quite nice but expensive. Now Heinz sell at a premium. These days I choose various supermarket own brand baked beans. M&S beans are tasty and good value too. We are unlikely to get loss leaders like the baked bean wars, "buy" a can and get 2p back.
I do intend making my own sometime soon.

That was a sweet macaroni dish served with jam or, in this case, stewed fruit.

Cooked macaroni in an egg custard and baked in the oven. Often had currants or raisins in it.

My guess is that it was a substitute for rice, tapioca, semolina etc.

Not seen it for probably fifty years give or take a few.

It belongs to the era when olive oil came in tiny bottles and was only available in chemists for sticking in your lugholes.
I love Macoroni Pudding, and have been cooking since I was ten. Macoroni, milk, sugar, nutmeg, a dab of butter...

Macoroni eaten other ways is wrong.

Couldn't stand canned Heinz Beans, although 'baked' beans were available for breakfast in the Army (early 1963 for me) I never ate them - though ate the canned 'combo' beans, usually cold, in the field.

I now live in Connecticut, USA., I make baked beans in the summer for my outdoor BBQs.
Pinto beans, molasses, brown sugar, chili, green peppers and onions, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon - cooked slowly in the oven for a couple of hours. I rather like the genuine article!
One of my local pubs had once organized a barbecue, on the day it was pissing down with rain and the Paddy governor decided it would be a good idea to move it indoors.
Not a good move.

World foods, that's posh. In the supermarkets in Fort Wayne British food is in the 'Ethnic Foods' section, between the kosher and German foods.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
Same thing Wilf, they have called it the "World Foods". It's one aisle with British, German, Mexican, Italian and a few others. Way I see it mate, they can call it what the want just as long as they keep selling the beans.

That's on the menu tomorrow. The resulting winds from the chilli, bean, chorizo combo should nothing short of spectacular.
Fry up some chopped onion and a clove of garlic before adding the sausage and bacon, then the beans. Should boost the piquancy of your farts to a noticeable degree.

I find tinned beans too sweet so make my own using dried beans cooked till soft then adding tinned tomato soup and tomato puree/chopped tomatoes for the sauce, dried Italian herbs and the usual seasoning. Play around with it until you get the flavour you want.

Also less runny if done right. For a gourmet delight stick a fried egg on top once you've chucked a ladle of it on your toast. It's the stuff of dreams. I'm considering adding it to the menu at the brewery as a starter.

You can buy chili, curried or chakalaka baked beans in SA. I quite like the chakalaka ones. They look and taste like someone added a big spoon of spicy achaar to a tin of beans and seem less sugary than the standard offering.

I'm somewhat ambivalent WRT baked beans of the tomato sauce variety for breakfast & usually only indulge when stayin in a hotel & when sausages are also on the breakfast menu.
However, I consider proper baked beans (they're bigger, browner & don't involve tomato sauce) to be an essential part of breakfast when here in the wild west.

Huevos rancheros is the way to go:
One corn tortilla as a base.
Two eggs, cooked over easy.
Baked beans
Hash browns (proper crispy shredded potato ones, not triangles of soggy shite).
Grated cheese on top & red & green chile on the side.
Two sopapillas to mop up with.

Fry up some chopped onion and a clove of garlic before adding the sausage and bacon, then the beans. Should boost the piquancy of your farts to a noticeable degree.

I find tinned beans too sweet so make my own using dried beans cooked till soft then adding tinned tomato soup and tomato puree/chopped tomatoes for the sauce, dried Italian herbs and the usual seasoning. Play around with it until you get the flavour you want.

Also less runny if done right. For a gourmet delight stick a fried egg on top once you've chucked a ladle of it on your toast. It's the stuff of dreams. I'm considering adding it to the menu at the brewery as a starter.
The wallpaper was peeling of the walls in the bedroom this morning. I like the idea of tuning the bean side of things. I'd used a can of Heinz and then tried to remove some of the sweetness although not quite there yet. I did fry an egg this morning in the same pan I did the sausages in and slapped it on top. Had a nice piece of melted cheese between the toast - bean interface. Proper gourmet cooking.

ugly

LE
Went off Heinz beans decades ago. Preferred Crosse & Blackwell or HP. Biona were quite nice but expensive. Now Heinz sell at a premium. These days I choose various supermarket own brand baked beans. M&S beans are tasty and good value too. We are unlikely to get loss leaders like the baked bean wars, "buy" a can and get 2p back.
I do intend making my own sometime soon.
I avoid Heinz products for political reasons!
I avoid quite a few brands but Heinz are the only ones I wish to avoid for political reasons, I ensure that the family tries the alternatives and we tend to stick with them.

Sickly sweet muck.
You can find them but you just have to look. I have no trouble finding Weetabix, Marmite and all sorts of British food. Can't find Smarties, however. :cry:

ugly

LE
We have Branstons jumbo beans reduced sugar I think in the cupboard

Not breakfast, but I find a scotch egg cut in half and served with beans to be divine. Always a sloppos favourite for me. Also, I used to enjoy the tins of London grill when I were a nipper, not sure if you can still get them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_donkey_man Cookery 14
Tastytoggle The NAAFI Bar 45
The_Cheat The NAAFI Bar 23