Baked beans with breakfast

Were those sliced tinned sausages the little cocktail weenie kind (sometimes called Vienna Sausages here) or the humungous dead dog dicks that came in certain MREs? :? Needless to say, nobody is gong to come away from Friday's supper satisfied. ;-)

Menu.jpeg

Baked Beans on toast a student's or Poor Persons breakfast.:hungry::toilet::tp:

The chefs at Grafenwoehr insisted on two sausages and two rashers of bacon at breakfast. It was so ****ing cold that we needed the calories!
The worst breakfast food in US forces is the buttered hot sand known as Grits. the toothless ******* hillbillies who invented that shit should have been gibbeted

I Ate it once (in basic training because it was a dead of Oklahoma winter)

To be honest if we are recreating Edwardian breakfasts I'm up for Kedgeree!
Along with steak and deviled kidneys.

Baked beans are piss easy to make. Use a lot less sugar, lob in some bacon, chili and sliced chorico and you have a dashed fine topping for toast.

To be honest if we are recreating Edwardian breakfasts I'm up for Kedgeree!
Bugger rice for breakfast (and a love kedgeree) - smoked haddock with a soft-poached egg on top.

Or, egg(s), bacon, black pudding and laver bread. Yum!

Were those sliced tinned sausages the little cocktail weenie kind (sometimes called Vienna Sausages here) or the humungous dead dog dicks that came in certain MREs? :? Needless to say, nobody is gong to come away from Friday's supper satisfied. ;-)

View attachment 330720

My guess would be that the sausages were some sort of frankfurter type thing. Never seen any other kind of sausage in a tin. Probably dropped “frankfurter” due to the recent unpleasantness with the Germanics.

That’s not actually a bad menu if you swap “dinner” for “supper”. Maybe having a light evening meal is healthy as there weren’t very many fat people around then.

army beans in tomato sauce in the late 50,s and early 60,s, were made from dried haricot beans and cooked in bulk to cater for upto 5 barrack kitchens,200litres of rich tomato sauce 500 pounds of dried beans and weevils,beans were soaked for 36 hours with ample bicarb and salt, then rinsed for 30 mins in cold water,while the soaking was occurring, for apprentice chefs, were dicing50lbs of carrots ,50lbs of onions, leek,celery,all sweated off in beef dripping,flour added to make a mirepoix ,4 A10 tins of tomato puree added to the mirepoix , each pot topped up with 50 litres of stock, which was allowed to simmer for12hours , beans were then added and cooked for a further 8 hours, this process was started 0800 monday morning and finished, 0800 the following monday when a new group of apprentices started, bean cooking was classed as jankers, we were the inventors of bullet beans, until this day we all worship the Heinz god:chef:

View attachment 330720
What the hell is macaroni pudding that is served on Wednesday? Macaroni is meant to be served in a hot, rich cheese sauce or under chilli!

Powdered Eggs was in Every US messhall from WW2 till today when deployed, Peacetime it was fresh eggs
Oddly enough I was chatting to a chef years ago and mentioned powdered eggs, he of course denied it until I asked what hen lays eggs that scramble with bits of green in them, he smiled and admitted they used powdered eggs for scrambling. Ive tried to replicate it unsuccessfully and as they were virtually unrationed on the hotplate and with copious quantities of beans on top of fried bread it was lush, made up for the silly one sausage/two bits of bacon rule. Then again it was nothing compared to the weekend brunches!

The worst breakfast food in US forces is the buttered hot sand known as Grits. the toothless ******* hillbillies who invented that shit should have been gibbeted

I Ate it once (in basic training because it was a dead of Oklahoma winter)
In my early days on visiting various establishments in the US I sampled grits; never again. If I remember rightly it was at Redstone, guy next to me at table announces "hey bouy, u need to get yer grits down yer". Thought oh well I'd better try the grits. What turned up was something resembling a bowl of hummus that somebody had pissed over. The hot sand might have been more preferable.

What the hell is macaroni pudding that is served on Wednesday? Macaroni is meant to be served in a hot, rich cheese sauce or under chilli!
That was a sweet macaroni dish served with jam or, in this case, stewed fruit.

Cooked macaroni in an egg custard and baked in the oven. Often had currants or raisins in it.

My guess is that it was a substitute for rice, tapioca, semolina etc.

Not seen it for probably fifty years give or take a few.

It belongs to the era when olive oil came in tiny bottles and was only available in chemists for sticking in your lugholes.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ex_donkey_man Cookery 14
Tastytoggle The NAAFI Bar 45
The_Cheat The NAAFI Bar 23