Baked beans with breakfast

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by ugly, Apr 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I know its not the greatest of thread titles but a question asked of me a couple of years ago has finally got me woindering.
    I posted a pic on FB of a big fried breakfast at a cafe I was using and a Canuck friend asked about the beans and what our addiction to them was.
    I couldnt really remember when I first ate baked beans at breakfast before joining the army.
    I certainly dont really recall too many cooked breakfast before joining up aged 16 so I cant recall if I ate them before joining the army in any other manner than on toast!
    So the question to the older and bolder than me is, when did baked beans make their breakfast debut, whats the earliest that you can definetly recall baked beans with brekkers?
    For me its 1981 at IJLB (I cant remember much about ACF scoff before that).
    Maybe some of the ACCs finest fitters and turners can recall them being on the menu in the 60's or earlier?

2. I'm younger than you but I never liked them, far too sweet and sickly. Boringly my home economics teacher said it was impossible to make them yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Never had beans with breakfast prior to joining the Army. IJLB '76

• Like Like x 1
  4. My grandparents never ate them.

5. I prefer them cold anyway. But it tends to bugger the fried up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So its looking like Andy Caps Commandos were the instigators, I wonder if the fry up with beans is a product of all those national servicemen?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I never had baked beans until i joined the Junior Leaders, R.A.O.C. in Sept 1963. On a similar subject. I was really surprised when we had chicken for a dinner meal during the week when I joined up. At home we only had chicken on Xmas Day as a special treat. To have chicken for a normal meal was quite a surprise.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Same here - I never had baked beans for brekkie until I became a steely-eyed dealer of death. Well, not death, traffic directions.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Beans ? we had bread and dripping, when i left school it was bread and dripping packed sarnies, not many people ever offered to swap with me for some reason.

• Like Like x 2
  10. My earliest memory was eating baked beans on toast at a mates house when kids in the 70's, then at camp when in the scouts. I guess tinned baked beans were a god send to harassed scout leaders when out on camp.

11. Never had them for breakfast until I joined the pusser in 62,

12. Always had baked beans with a cooked breakfast as a kid in the early 70's. Mind you, it was BFG, and my dad had been in since he was 16...

13. We didn't have a full English breakfast at home it'd be really expensive.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As an aside didnt that Jimmy twat from the pig farm make them in his food factory program?

15. No idea but she said it was impossible to make them the same, that's probably a good thing.

• Like Like x 1