Bairnsfather Cartoons from the Great War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Gun_Brickie, Dec 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A while back, I stumbled across three different issues of The Bystander's Fragments From France at a used bookstore, and I thought that they may be of some interest on this site. Altogether I have about 100+ of these cartoons, and if there's enough interest, I'll happily post the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Go on then lets have some more, they're pretty funny considering there was very little to laugh at!

3. More please! I haven't heard of this gentleman before. Was he a self-publisher or is he well-known?

Litotes

Edited to add: "Stupid question....Google shows 518 hits! And I have seen his work before".

4. Some more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I was pished when I was taking snaps of these, so some of the punchlines are missing or are blurry)
    "Oh, star of eve, whose tender beam
    Falls on my spirit's troubled dream"
    - Wolfram's Aria in Tannhauser

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]
    Sentry: "'Alt! Who goes there?"
    He of the Bundle: "You shut yer ------' mouth, or I'll ------' come and knock yer ------' head off"
    Sentry: "Pass, friend"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So Obvious
    The Young and Talkative One: "Who made that 'ole?"
    The Fed-up One: "Mice"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (This is one of my very favourites. The disgust on his face is just priceless)

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Things that Matter
    Scene: Loos, during the September offensive
    Colonel Fitz-Shrapnel receives the following message from "G.H.Q.": - "Please let us know, as soon as possible, the number of tins of raspberry jam issued to you last Friday."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What it Really Feels Like
    To be on patrol duty at night-time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG]
    Our Democratic Army
    Member of Navvies' Battalion (to Colonel): "I say, yer mate's dropped 'is cane"

[​IMG]

End of the first book. I don't know when I'll be able to post the cartoons from the other books, as I don't know when I'll be able to get ahold of a digital camera again.

11. What about 'if you know of a better ole go to it' :D

12. First pic I posted. Might be a little blurry, though :wink:

13. My favorite is;

The Tactless Teuton.

A member of the Gravediggers' Corps joking with a Private in the Orphans' Battalion, prior to a frontal attack.
    :lol:

Humour at it's blackest!!

14. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Love it. Cheers for that. Did you get them for a decent price or were they expensive?