Bairnsfather Cartoons from the Great War

A while back, I stumbled across three different issues of The Bystander's Fragments From France at a used bookstore, and I thought that they may be of some interest on this site. Altogether I have about 100+ of these cartoons, and if there's enough interest, I'll happily post the others.

More please! I haven't heard of this gentleman before. Was he a self-publisher or is he well-known?

Litotes

Edited to add: "Stupid question....Google shows 518 hits! And I have seen his work before".

Some more:

(I was pished when I was taking snaps of these, so some of the punchlines are missing or are blurry)
"Oh, star of eve, whose tender beam
Falls on my spirit's troubled dream"
- Wolfram's Aria in Tannhauser

Sentry: "'Alt! Who goes there?"
He of the Bundle: "You shut yer ------' mouth, or I'll ------' come and knock yer ------' head off"
Sentry: "Pass, friend"

The Things that Matter
Scene: Loos, during the September offensive
Colonel Fitz-Shrapnel receives the following message from "G.H.Q.": - "Please let us know, as soon as possible, the number of tins of raspberry jam issued to you last Friday."

Our Democratic Army
Member of Navvies' Battalion (to Colonel): "I say, yer mate's dropped 'is cane"

End of the first book. I don't know when I'll be able to post the cartoons from the other books, as I don't know when I'll be able to get ahold of a digital camera again.

What about 'if you know of a better ole go to it' :D

My favorite is;

The Tactless Teuton.

A member of the Gravediggers' Corps joking with a Private in the Orphans' Battalion, prior to a frontal attack.
:lol:

Humour at it's blackest!!

Love it. Cheers for that. Did you get them for a decent price or were they expensive?

General Melchett said:
Love it. Cheers for that. Did you get them for a decent price or were they expensive?
The ones I picked up cost me about $7.00 Cdn (I guess just a little over 2.00 Sterling), but they're a little damp-stained, and well-thumbed. Glad you're enjoying them!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Gun_Brickie said:
General Melchett said:
The ones I picked up cost me about $7.00 Cdn (I guess just a little over 2.00 Sterling), but they're a little damp-stained, and well-thumbed. Glad you're enjoying them!
A damn good buy there GB, do you happen to know how many issues of 'Fragments' were published ?

There's a bit more gen on Bainsfather here:
http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War/NewsMedia/Fragments_01.htm