Bailey Bridge At Son (Holland September 1944 )

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Darth_stab, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me the Royal Engineers unit that built the Bailey Bridge at Son ( Holland ) in September 1944.

Thanks

2. Pretty sure I know , just gonna check my facts first.

3. 14 Sqn RE and 326 US Engineers is what I read mate.

The Yanks sorted the abutments with local help and the RE lads got the job done exactly as predicted by 06.00 Hrs.

4. Thanks Dagger for the information, it is a great help.

My Grandfather was one of the Engineers that built it but I didn't know his unit.

Any idea of Company or Platoon ?

5. The only mention that I can fiond so far makes reference to Lt. W C Cantley of 2 Troop 14 Sqn. making the first recce at 19.00 Hrs.

I`ll keep looking but from what I have read so far it looks like it was a complete squadron job.

Cracking that you had family involved mate. I`ve visited the site a number of times, June was my last effort.

6. "You guys got any of that Bailey crap with you?"

"When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?"

Just had to squeeze it in!

7. Has to be done mate. :D :D :D :D :D

8. Thanks again for looking the information up Dagger.

Visited the location sept 2006 ( on the way to Arnhem ) and actually spoke to the family that my Grandfather was billeted with at the time.

My other Grandfather was at Arnhem with the 2nd South Staffs when it was being built, so we are a Market Garden family.