Baha Mousa - The official verdict

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by postman_twit, Aug 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple of years and a few million quid down the line, the report will clear the army of systematic abuse. It will conclude that a number of people in the QLR were vicious bastards who battered a man to death then lied about it to anyone who asked. It will also probably conclude that the chain of command was woefully inadequate.

Could have told them that for nowt.

I think pretty much everybody will be satisfied by the report, except for the lefty lunatic fringe and a number of ex QLR and their apologists.

• Like Like x 6
  2. You are contradicting yourself and suggesting collective guilt. perhaps you think that the QLR had a Bn parade and took turns in beating Mousa.

3. I see no contradiction in my comments.

As to the QLR holding a BN parade and taking it in turns to beat Mr. Musa; his beating seemed to have been carried out semi publically over a couple of days, with various people wandering in and out of the detention area and many more hearing the screaming and shouting. Given the average squaddy's propensity for gossip and rumour, I find it hard to believe that many in the camp didn't have some idea that thuggery towards prisoners was taking place.

Edited to add: I accept that many QLR soldiers were out patrolling the streets of Basra and were based at other locations when Mr. Musa was killed. I don't suggest any complicity on their part.

4. I certainly didn't take what he said that way. There were bad eggs; bad egs have mates, some of whom may have been complicit or turned a blind eye; bad eggs have family who're not willing to believe their little Johnny did it; and Regiments have Old and Bold who can't accept that one of theirs would have done it.

All of those groups are likely to have people who'll try to discount or justify what was a brutal crime by any standard. Recognising that isn't the same as insisting on collective guilt.

• Like Like x 3
  5. IIRC didn't the CO QLR fall on his sword when he had a glimpse into the future? Wasn't he decorated and investigated in tandem?

6. Baha Mousa - The official verdict - Phil Shiner is a cnut.

• Like Like x 5
  7. In wars, good people sometimes do bad things.

It's always been like that. Nobody should be surprised. When you've seen mates have bits blown off, it can colour your whole attitude.

War is always terrible. Some wars are still worth fighting. Although Iraq never was.

It cost a lot of money, but the fact we do investigate such behaviour, and don't condone it institutionally is just one of the things that makes US better than THEM.

8. £12 million inquiry costs upto June this year

Costs link

£6 million of that 'legal costs'. Nice work if you can get it I suppose.

p.s. £12 million is the inquiry cost, not including the MOD expenditure on its investigation and legal costs.

9. I am interested to see how the RMP come out of this report.

I believe the report concludes that there were failures within the CoC.

This sorry episode has cast the entire British Army into disrepute and from a professional and personal pov, I want those who have been found wanting to be dealt with. I hope names will be mentioned and that somehow those who have been shown to fail will face the consequences of their failure.

I still find it disconcerting that a man has entered into british custody alive and left it a beaten up corpse, and yet, apart from a token conviction and resignation, no one seems to have been held accountable for it. That surely cannot be the standard that the British Army adheres to.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

QFE. It makes all Soldiers, and ex-Soldiers, appear to be dishonest and provides ammo to those who think we are all *****.

• Like Like x 2
  11. And that sums it all up. The allegations did however need to be investigated, if only to prove that they were unfounded. Sadly, this costs money and lots of it, but we wouldn't be shelling out if it wasn't for certain members of the QLR. At the end of the day, we wouldn't have been here if they had been better managed. And their apologists can go **** themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  12. The British Army has been held in high regards because it has traditionally be seen to be "playing the game". That gives us the moral highground and makes "us" better than "them". This incident was a shameful abuse of power and tainted the whole of the British Army. We were already on a sticky wicket thanks to Phony Tony's political horseshit. The ones that committed these abuses should be punished and those that condoned it by allowing it to happen should be punished more severely. Responsibility is the privilege of rank.

• Like Like x 3

13. You need to climb down off that moral high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself.

The British Armed forces has proven time after time during it's history, that when the SHTF, they can be more nails and just as nasty as the best of them.
    Wars a big boys game with big boys rules and stuff happens.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I think people need to read between the headlines.

The army being cleared of allegations of systematic torture means merely that it has been established that it was not Official Policy. In other words the senior levels of the CoC have been found not to be to blame.

Other points being reported are: