Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bags travel.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
For years it’s been a choice of either a snugpak rucksack. It was like some sort of deal with some of the better airlines, I claimed it was hand luggage and they believed me. The other has been a wheelie case Swiss army/victorinox job, fits laptop,iPad. Cables and clothes. It’s starting to look a bit wrecked.

Dressy clothes aren’t a problem and blazers have been Rohan, Victorinox or Orvis. Generally unkillable and worn on the way out and the way back.

Has anyone got anything to recommend when it comes to bags. The iPads already meant one rucksack less in carrying music, books and shortwave radio.

Although if anyone’s got any ideas for a plug in portable speaker. I’d be interested.
Thank you.

Skid,

I regularly use the IT Luggage Business trolley backpack & OA has the Karabar equivalent for short trips, anything larger I then use my Pelican.

Both have stood the test of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only fly maybe 1-3 (tops) times a year now. Hardly "jetset".
In the past though -found it hit & miss. Could have the most gucci bag/case and it would still be in tatters at the end or...bog standard rucksack...totally unscathed and...1st out on the carousel.

I've never splashed out on mega expensive luggage. (wife has) But I'm not loaded either.

Last edited:
buy any colour but black. 95% of the bags on the carousel will be black. You will need to look closely at each for details, tags etc. A hideous pink bag will stand out and easily found.

buy any colour but black. 95% of the bags on the carousel will be black. You will need to look closely at each for details, tags etc. A hideous pink bag will stand out and easily found.
A hint of tartan can cost a few quid…..

Surely theres only one answer:
1569559940309.png

It'll be the only one on the belt and you'll see it from a mile off so you don't have to stand with the annoying folk who seem to think gathering around the carousel will make their bags come faster. You can just nip in grab it when it reaches you and because you need to swing it onto your shoulders, take out about 3 of them.
They last seemingly a lifetime, make the NYC subway a dream as you a create your own exclusion zone just by turning very slightly and saves on tips as your arms are free to do all that booking in stuff and a porter cant helpfully grab your bags.

The down side is they don't make it anymore and no doubt the modern version is made from super-duper lightweight fabric with all the durability of cling film.

Thanks to BAs baggage handlers mines better travelled than me.

Last edited:
All my luggage has to be carry on - I don't know about bigger items of luggage. As a general point I recommend 2 partly recessed wheels rather than 4 wheels on the exterior - it reduces the general exterior dimensions of the bag and reduces the chances of wheels getting knocked off or broken.

As long as it's reasonably durable, lighter is better - some airlines allow only 8 kg of cabin baggage and who wants that to be wasted on the baggage itself.

Due to an upcoming flight on Wizz Air and their cabin baggage dimensions limit being slightly smaller than my regular bag, I picked one of these up for 30 quid at Tesco a few years ago and find it very useful. At 1.5 kilos it's a full kilo lighter than my regular cabin bag and the design of the towing handle frees up all the interior space usually taken up by the towing handle storage.
[URBANE

1569562376816.png

After 25 years my regular compact document/manbag recently started falling apart at the seams, I sought something lightweight with sufficient pockets and I found this (currently on offer at half price at https://www.rei.com/product/135432/eagle-creek-wayfinder-crossbody-bag). It weighs only 370 gr.

1569563289402.png

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks all. I usually billed work for work bags, hence a collection of Billimgham and CCS . Now that I no longer carry the things, those that do, have remarked as to how ‘*******’ impractical they are.
Heavy to start with and heavier when packed.
But they look cool in an old fart sort of way. And they are unbreakable.
I may embarrass myself and stick 2 or 3 in classified if anyone’s interested.

I’ll keep the brown CCS as a range bag.

Skid,

I regularly use the IT Luggage Business trolley backpack & OA has the Karabar equivalent for short trips, anything larger I then use my Pelican.

Both have stood the test of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, an excellent bit of kit. I use it for overseas travel with work, as well as for inland travel by train or plane. It is lightweight, robust and durable.

Posted before, but I recently bought myself some new camera gear and I thought that I would need a bag to carry it around.
After looking at all the options I got a rucksack from Bag for life.
Its brilliant, and as long as you keep the paperwork, they will repair or replace it for as long as you own it.
Cost me about £40.00.
Its designed as a camera bag but all of the internal padding is Velcro removable, so I have just ripped it all out and used it for normal use.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

I put my OMRLP rosette on my bag when I'm away for work

Hazard 4 messenger bag for the cabin and the indestructible Pelican for the hold .

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Posted before, but I recently bought myself some new camera gear and I thought that I would need a bag to carry it around.
After looking at all the options I got a rucksack from Bag for life.
Its brilliant, and as long as you keep the paperwork, they will repair or replace it for as long as you own it.
Cost me about £40.00.
Its designed as a camera bag but all of the internal padding is Velcro removable, so I have just ripped it all out and used it for normal use.

Antler used to do that, I drove this nasty old bat in the shop bonkers when I turned up with a zip, a tear, or a corner of the bag gone. Looking for a replacement.
Antler used to do great bags, she got them replaced from head office. She just hated the sight of me. I got a new bag every five months and got away with it for four years.

Latest Threads